partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 05:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Dance Partner issues..
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Dance Partner issues..  (Read 1353 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 05:10:20 AM »

at this stage we are in sync. I wonder how you resolve the issues when you are not.... Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 07:34:05 AM »

There's only one way I know of - agree to leave it to the coach.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 08:28:03 AM »

yes I believe that is the best course.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 08:15:17 AM »

Just wanted some more advice please!!!  All going well but have come to a bit of a sticking point - my DP expects me to teach him new steps/technique (which I am neither qualified nor experienced enough to do or want to do) and gets very irritated with me when I refer him to the teachers as I think they are the best people to sort out steps etc and knows what she is talking about.  Half the time what I thought I new is totally wrong and I find out a few weeks later anyway  Roll Eyes  Does anyone have an approach to this/alternative view or suggestions for sorting out as it seems to be becoming more and more frequent?  I'm not really sure how to get round this without offending DP and I have so far been really direct about saying I'm not the best person to ask and why don't you discuss with X.
Thanks  Smiley

Dance like you're going to fall over
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 08:27:23 AM »

He's hot to trot!  I would take the aproach that the follows job is related but still very different from that of the lead and beyond making sure we know where we are going ( Wink ) we focus less on how the mechanics of a steps than on how to follow them.  Women who turn pro usually have to go back to square one to learn how steps are executed so that they can teach the leads. 

Perhaps he has not yet grasped that dancing is not about the number of steps at all but on how you perform them.  That is easily demonstrated by going to a social and comparing the beginners to the competitors (or top social dancers for that matter).   The more we learn the less steps there seem to be!

If that does not work encourage him to buy a DVD (on line works well) with the steps he is interested in.  Thats how DP and I have moved forward - we learn the step off the DVD, figure out how to get through it without falling over and then ask a pro to fix it.  That way we are not paying for 'left foot forward, right foot back' teaching (a waste to us)....

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: