partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:56:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Visiting coaches
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Visiting coaches  (Read 1130 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 15, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »

Today I am going to have a lesson with my pro but also with an out-of-town (i.e. occasional visitor) coach.  Are these useful?  And if so, how should I get the most out of this - in particular considering that the whole thing is going to cost me twice the amount of a regular lesson for less time.

Love to have input, also past experience and general comments (e'g' this is a rip-off Cheesy).

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »

I find coachings extremely valuable.  The coaches have an outsider's perspective on your dancing and can pick up on things that your own instructor might miss because you two are always dancing together.  Coaches bring in a unique perspective; for example, if the coach is a lady, she will have insight into the lady's role that your male pro couldn't have.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:14:37 AM »

This one is a guy so no female perspective this time (I did have one similar session a year ago or so with a woman and it was, as you say, terrific for that reason).   I'm planning to work on the natural turn in waltz - because its always the first thing judges see Wink and basic tango because its my weakest dance.  Then we'll see what happens after that Smiley

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »

If you have a video camera, record the lesson.  If not, bring a notebook and write down everything you remember as soon as the lesson is over.  Every coaching I've ever done has been extremely valuable.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »

Left my camera at home Undecided but it only does 3 minutes at a time so maybe not so useful.  But the notes, for sure...

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 06:21:37 AM »

we are thinking of doing the same thing. not sure how beneficial it is as what if they tell you to do something different to your usual coach and then you go back to you regular teacher and he says not not that way this way????how would you handle that?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 06:42:55 AM »

oh, see the 'last night' topic for the outcome Undecided

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 05:01:17 AM »

will do.

Dance Forum
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 05:08:54 AM »

yes. well I saw the outcome, hope it works better next time. we hope to get advice from a coach in Vic but will see, perhaps not this time but our trip to October.

Dance Forum
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:21:10 AM »

Today I am going to have a lesson with my pro but also with an out-of-town (i.e. occasional visitor) coach.  Are these useful? 

Being one, I believe them to be extremely helpful  Roll Eyes   Wink  Seriously, I was just reading an interview w/ my coach, Peter E., in which he said that one should take from as many persons as possible once one has a fairly stable understanding of basic movements/concepts of dance. Also, taking same w/ one's main pro only enhances knowledge... even if it is of what not to do.

This one is a guy so no female perspective this time (I did have one similar session a year ago or so with a woman and it was, as you say, terrific for that reason). 

Though I understand the point, perfectly, do not underestimate the power of the opposite's take of what the partner's role/place/part/execution should be. I, for example, studied fiercely the lady's parts, movements, feelings, etc. It is my thought that to know what she is to do/feel and how to achieve that, profounded my knowledge of what I needed to do to assist that result. To get the female's pov from a *knowledgable* male, and vis-a-vis could be very enlightening. Often we are so concerned w/ learning our own parts, that we fail to consider how it involves/affects the partner.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »

I did not mean to say one can not learn the female part from a male, decidely one can.  however, the full timers (er, the women) often have insights in to not only how its supposed to be done but little tricks that actually make it possible or better.  I think my pro has an outstanding knowledge of the woman's part - but he is not a woman and I still get the extra 'icing on the cake' from his partner.

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:47 PM »

I really enjoy outside coachings--just wish I could afford more of them!  It definitely helps to have a goal in mind for what you want out of the lesson.  If you can't think of anything specific yourself, confer with your regular teacher about it.  That's what I had to do with my last coaching; I trusted that my pro best knew what I needed to work on most and what this particular coach could help me with the most.

I've also found that working with a coach from outside your own style can be beneficial if that coach has something that you admire or desire in your own dancing.  For example, Felipe and Carolina Telona are one of my favorite Rhythm couples on the floor right now, and one of the biggest reasons I love them so much is because their connection is just incredible.  They're just so HOT together!  So, even though I dance Latin, I booked a session with Felipe when they came to our studio back in March to help my pro and I with our rumba showdance.  He had a lot of great things to say--and if I could EVER figure out how to rip my Vol State DVD, you could see the difference between the first and last performances of that routine yourselves!  Roll Eyes (They're actually coming back in a couple weeks, and I'm SO.SAD. that I can't afford another session this time around.  I might have gone with Carolina this time...)

All that said, there's also an element of "take what you can get" at work here--since my studio is so seriously Smooth-centric, we get in a LOT of Smooth and Standard coaches, a lesser amount of Rhythm coaches (since that's next-most-popular), and almost no Latin coaches.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 07:06:55 PM by MusicChica » Logged
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 07:05:26 PM »

I just wish our studio would stop focusing so damned much on WCS. MOST of the student body works on smooth/rhythm, and those who do love WCS travel to St. Lou, Nashville, etc. to get the coaching without beating it down our throats.

I get that it's Their Thing... but when we were humiliated for dancing point hustle and "forbidden" from dancing it at our socials (it was the only dance we had at the time where we had a connection, had fun, and enjoyed the camp and speed of it), I think it's a little much, considering how WCS is DYING at smaller dance areas, to lie right beside Hustle, NC2S, and whatever else deemed "uncool".

If we could afford a good standard coaching, I'd book with the Tates, or if it were mostly technique (always is), I'd love love love to work with Team Ermis somehow, but alas...I need shoes and a new cellphone first. Argh.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: