partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 03:04:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Training new dance teachers
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Training new dance teachers  (Read 2680 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 15, 2009, 08:41:39 AM »

GBS wrote that 'those that can do, do and those that can not, teach' (or something close).  Which, incidentally I have always disagreed with since some of my best teachers were unaccomplished in their area - but if you are interested in idle chatter, you can counter that 'those that can teach, teach'

Here you can put the good and the  bad - but we are particularly interested in whats the best way?  Does a person have to have significant achievements in dancesport to be a good and really good teacher or, is it just something that is a talent?

The topic heralds from Zac's post:
"Had my 'pre' teacher exam last night, went really well for me which was great, thoguh i dont think the other training teachers thought as much..." which impressed me since I am not aware of any formal teacher training here outside the franchises.  I think one reason is selfish: established teachers do not want to create competition.  IMO this is counter productive because more teachers bring more students into dancing and eventually some of these are going to want higher level training - and will seek the more experienced (and possibly more accomplished) coaches.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »

The skill sets are definitely not identical.  Those in other areas of athletics can point out many examples of people who were great atheletes but lousy coaches.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »

DVIDA has created a Ballroom Dance Teacher Certification Program.  JoD was the first in Canada to use it (we were a guinea pig studio as the curriculum was being developed) and I heard whispers of the studio I went to in CT potentially starting it too.  Basically, it's a 16-month course that covers all of the DVIDA bronze steps of the American syllabus.  Students learn lead and follow, as well as technique and routines that cover all of the steps in bronze.  They then go through exams - midterms and finals for each.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 11:04:21 AM »

Sounds terrific - anything like it for standard?

Hey DSV! Here's a new project area for you Smiley

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 11:12:26 AM »

I had heard about a International version in development, but I ended up on the road before it ever came to fruition.

Oh, it looks like they do have International going now: http://www.joyofdance.ca/teacher_training.php

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »

Neat.  thanks.

If one took this I wonder if you would loose your AM status... Huh

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »

Yes.  In Ontario, yes.  As soon as you have that certificate.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 02:04:38 PM »

so perhaps if you did everything except the final lesson Wink

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »

Most places in Europe train teachers to teach. There are different levels of teachers. In some countries there are three levels of teachers that make it very easy for the students to choose a teacher.

I think I already described the two of the level that they have in the country that I was trained in somewhere else on PDO.

I think the first decision it to find out what kind of teacher you want to be. It was very clear to me what kind of teacher I wanted to be. My main teacher was known as one of the best teachers of his time. I wanted to be like him and so as soon as I could I asked my main teacher to show/teach and guide me how to teach. He told me to take all the exams possible and to find a system/school of thought that I wanted to use in my teaching. I took all the exams possible (15 exams total) and spend a year as an apprentice with my teacher to learn his system and method of teaching. Over time many of my students have also learned the system and have spent time with me learning to teach.

Teaching is defiantly a skill that not all develop. I belief that to become a great teacher there are several things that are essential. If I was to list here all the things that would make a great teacher then the most will be several pages. I am sure that everybody has a say/take on what they think a great teacher should have of skills. 

There are three types of dancers/teachers that it is good to be aware of.

1) A great dancer that might be an unconscious competent and therefore are not able to get you to do what you need to do to learn the same skill for yourself.
This can also be described as a teacher that knows that 2 + 2 = 4 but can’t make you understand or do the equation.

2) A great teacher that might not totally understand all that is needed to dance efficient and proficient. This teacher therefore can’t always get you to dance a way that will take you where you want to go or the teacher might even damage your body causing serious injuries.
This can also be described as a teacher that doesn’t know that 2 + 2 = 4 but thinks it equals 5 and are able to convince you that 2 + 2 = 5

3) A great dancer/teacher is a conscious competent and are therefore able to make you understand what you need to do and can get you to do it.
This can also be described as a teacher that knows that 2 + 2 = 4 and are able to get you to do the equation by yourself.

My mentor always say that you should choose a teacher that has either been where you want to go or has taken others where you want to go. This kind of a teacher knows the path to where you want to go and can therefore guide you to the same place. My real estate mentor always says “if you live in an area where houses cost $100.000 don’t ask your neighbors how to buy a million dollar home, if they knew how, they wouldn’t be living where they live.” 

I would say if you want to be a teacher, make sure you know your trade and that you understand how to teach. Many teachers in this country have never taken any formal education in teaching. Study teaching methods and schools of thought. Make sure you understand all the elements that you are going to be working with. Some places you can get a start that gives you some of the fundamentals of teaching. You will have to create your own on going education in most countries. I will strongly suggest that you continue to educate yourself so that you are always growing and developing your skill. If you do that then success as a teacher will come your way.

Sorry for the really long post.   Tongue

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 05:09:12 AM »

Yes.  In Ontario, yes.  As soon as you have that certificate.

This is curious. One would lose one's am stat simply by having the certificate regardless of whether they actually taught or not? A wee extreme, IMO.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »

I think I should check that - but I would not be surprised.  Many AM organizations have rules as to which competitions you can, or can not participate in the province (or state) and in the country.  However, ours demnads that you get permission to compete at any competition in the world.  I find that absurd and overly controlling.  Any organization should have the minimum rules necessary to function - its both respectful of the members and much more efficient.

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

I was considering taking the training myself and asked the question before I registered. The owner of the studio spoke to Ann Harding (I believe...it was two years ago), who eventually responded with that information.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2009, 09:55:35 AM »

Thanks for the source M.  That should be definitive - but I suppose it would not hurt to ask OADA since I think its their call.

Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 01:10:14 PM »

Weird, but I can see it. The lawyer speak in me would say "With aforethought" or "Intent to teach"- why have the certificate if you don't have the intention?

The me in me says "But certificate- pretty! Interesting trivia/conversation piece"... and what's weird is that the new confungled DVIDA/etc. rules that say "Any am can teach fo' moneh"... says nothing about a certificate- only that you can't be employed by a STUDIO.

So long as my butt's covered, sweet.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 06:32:24 PM »

The skill sets are definitely not identical.  Those in other areas of athletics can point out many examples of people who were great atheletes but lousy coaches.

*nods*

It's about knowing how to impart information, not just knowing how to execute it yourself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: