partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 07:08:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Training new dance teachers
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Training new dance teachers  (Read 2791 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 01:48:33 PM »

*taking notes furiously*

maybe we could arrange a PDO correspondence course.
Wait a minute thats what PDO IS! Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 03:13:40 AM »

I need to acquire, preferably in electronic format, the Laure Haile syllabus in as much of it's entirety as possible.

There are some HUGE translation gaps between our terminology, and that of people who took dance forty years ago, and just now decided to jump back into our advanced class on Wednesdays (and by 'advanced', I mean all things considered for this area).

Can anybody help me with this? "Bridge, conversation, hook, hitch," and things like that are slowly coming to me, but only because I'm around these people a lot, and they yammer incessantly during class instead of paying attention.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2013, 11:46:36 AM »

Most places in Europe train teachers to teach. There are different levels of teachers. In some countries there are three levels of teachers that make it very easy for the students to choose a teacher.

I think I already described the two of the level that they have in the country that I was trained in somewhere else on PDO.

I think the first decision it to find out what kind of teacher you want to be. It was very clear to me what kind of teacher I wanted to be. My main teacher was known as one of the best teachers of his time. I wanted to be like him and so as soon as I could I asked my main teacher to show/teach and guide me how to teach. He told me to take all the exams possible and to find a system/school of thought that I wanted to use in my teaching. I took all the exams possible (15 exams total) and spend a year as an apprentice with my teacher to learn his system and method of teaching. Over time many of my students have also learned the system and have spent time with me learning to teach.

Teaching is defiantly a skill that not all develop. I belief that to become a great teacher there are several things that are essential. If I was to list here all the things that would make a great teacher then the most will be several pages. I am sure that everybody has a say/take on what they think a great teacher should have of skills. 

There are three types of dancers/teachers that it is good to be aware of.

1) A great dancer that might be an unconscious competent and therefore are not able to get you to do what you need to do to learn the same skill for yourself.
This can also be described as a teacher that knows that 2 + 2 = 4 but can’t make you understand or do the equation.

2) A great teacher that might not totally understand all that is needed to dance efficient and proficient. This teacher therefore can’t always get you to dance a way that will take you where you want to go or the teacher might even damage your body causing serious injuries.
This can also be described as a teacher that doesn’t know that 2 + 2 = 4 but thinks it equals 5 and are able to convince you that 2 + 2 = 5

3) A great dancer/teacher is a conscious competent and are therefore able to make you understand what you need to do and can get you to do it.
This can also be described as a teacher that knows that 2 + 2 = 4 and are able to get you to do the equation by yourself.

My mentor always say that you should choose a teacher that has either been where you want to go or has taken others where you want to go. This kind of a teacher knows the path to where you want to go and can therefore guide you to the same place. My real estate mentor always says “if you live in an area where houses cost $100.000 don’t ask your neighbors how to buy a million dollar home, if they knew how, they wouldn’t be living where they live.” 

I would say if you want to be a teacher, make sure you know your trade and that you understand how to teach. Many teachers in this country have never taken any formal education in teaching. Study teaching methods and schools of thought. Make sure you understand all the elements that you are going to be working with. Some places you can get a start that gives you some of the fundamentals of teaching. You will have to create your own on going education in most countries. I will strongly suggest that you continue to educate yourself so that you are always growing and developing your skill. If you do that then success as a teacher will come your way.

Sorry for the really long post.   Tongue

Dora-Satya Veda

This is gold!  And related to a conversation we had recently -- choosing a teacher, maybe?

A good teacher knows that 2+2 = 4 and can teach it to you in a way that helps you grasp that 2+2 = 4.

That's good stuff, and, at the risk of being thought rude, I think it  hits the really important stuff. Knowing how to teach and being certified to teach are two different things.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2013, 08:18:36 PM »

thanks for digging that one out - its priceless.  And since I'm shopping for a new violin teacher again Sad its very timely...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 06:31:47 AM »

Good point.  The concepts in this thread apply to teaching, not only to the teaching of dance. Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: