partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 03:32:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Power
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Power  (Read 3288 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

IMO the secret is not power or controlling it - its all about ballance.  If you can establish your ballance on every (yes I did say EVERY) step, power becomes your tool.  And this is one heck of a powerful girl talking to another.

I aim always for ballance - only when you are in ballance can you respond to your partner's need and also make dancing easy for him. I mean they are men so they need it easy right? [I'm kidding, I'M KIDDING I SAID!!!].  IN reality your partner has so much to think about he needs to be freed up from 'leading' you as much as possible and the way I'm getting there is by being such a light (ballanced) lead that he just has to dance and I'm right with him where he wants to go.

I would argue that the woman actually needs more power than the man.  The arguments goes as such: in order to truly follow (aims of body school - though obviously I can not talk for that) you have to wait for the lead.  That means you are a fraction of a second behind the beat.  This looks great by the way it gives the dancing its musicallity.  However, in order to get out of his way to allow him to come through and set up the next lead (wait) you have to actually move faster than your partner.  thats where power comes in for hte woman.  Least thats how I see it.

Where is DSV when we need her?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:47 PM »

I am here Grin........I know a little late. Tongue

Well, the lady also has power. It is however a different power than the man. The power of the lady should be flexible, indirect and giving. The best way to explain female power is to compare it to water. It is strong enough to cut stone and carve the Grand Canyon but soft enough to flow through the hands. It is soft and strong all at the same time. The more female power the lady uses in dancing the better she is at responding to the man requests and information. She almost absorbs the man's intention and creates a grand response.

Hope this answered the question.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 03:34:54 AM »

very poetic but very accurate!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:05:01 AM »

Love it DSV - I feel a lot of moving water analogies in my dancing now, the transition from moving to waiting is th stream entering the pool and from waiting to reacting the pool entering the rapids, sometimes even cascading over the waterfall.  But the transitions are, as you say, pliant yet powerful.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

In my opinion, the man provides the lady the cup, the bottle, the teacup.  If the lady is water, she will flow into each and take each form perfectly (contra check, throwaway, heck even a simple natural turn).  She doesn't have to be "be" a cup, then change everything and become a bottle, then guess what the man's trying to turn her into and become the teacup.  She just has to be one thing: water.  No guessing or doing required.  Everything else will take care of itself.  What I've found is that a lot of ladies in my neck of the woods aren't comfortable just being water.  They think they need to do more than that.  They think they need to have posture, poise, frame, top line, extension, know the timing, the patterns, the steps, close their feet (personal pet peeve), rise, lower, turn, rotate, etc.    

So DSV, is the man's power the ability to contain, direct, and open the flood gates to the water?
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »

I came across the concept of fluidity as it relates to Capoeira, the Brazilian martial art that was disguised as a dance.

" Fluid:
Using liquid to transmit power
Smoothly elegant and graceful
A substance of no fixed shape. "

Martial arts, whether Chinese or Brazilian, and ballroom dancing seem to have the same concept of "power".   
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 11:03:12 PM »

I think part of the problem is that people equate power to force and it is not the same!

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 12:42:30 PM »

good to see you around here, DSV. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »

I think part of the problem is that people equate power to force and it is not the same!

I think you put that well Q.

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »

“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

In my opinion, the man provides the lady the cup, the bottle, the teacup.  If the lady is water, she will flow into each and take each form perfectly (contra check, throwaway, heck even a simple natural turn).  She doesn't have to be "be" a cup, then change everything and become a bottle, then guess what the man's trying to turn her into and become the teacup.  She just has to be one thing: water.  No guessing or doing required.  Everything else will take care of itself.  What I've found is that a lot of ladies in my neck of the woods aren't comfortable just being water.  They think they need to do more than that.  They think they need to have posture, poise, frame, top line, extension, know the timing, the patterns, the steps, close their feet (personal pet peeve), rise, lower, turn, rotate, etc.   

So DSV, is the man's power the ability to contain, direct, and open the flood gates to the water?

Very nice post SG! I like that you found the quote from Bruce Lee about water.  Grin

Yes, I guess you can say that the man’s power is using the Natural forces to create the container for the water (lady) and how much she gets to flow into each step. The man’s power will tell “how much”. His direction will tell the lady “where”, the timing will tell her “when” and the steps will tell her “what” to do.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 06:25:22 PM by Dora-Satya Veda » Logged

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2011, 06:26:41 PM »

I came across the concept of fluidity as it relates to Capoeira, the Brazilian martial art that was disguised as a dance.

" Fluid:
Using liquid to transmit power
Smoothly elegant and graceful
A substance of no fixed shape. "

Martial arts, whether Chinese or Brazilian, and ballroom dancing seem to have the same concept of "power".   

I know a lot of teachers suggests martial arts as a cross training for Ballroom dancing.

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2011, 08:37:59 AM »

what do you do if the message is not clear.. I try really hard to follow and what the man to really be clear with his power of where we are to go and the shaping. when I dance with my teacher I can follow but as my man is not clear all the time I tend to guess what he is wanting. and that is a big mistake on my part.
but when we have been dancing I try really hard to think of the water and filling his his space.

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 10:03:50 AM »

It sounds like he's less clear than your teacher because he's paying less attention to you than your teacher is, possibly because he's worried about his own posture and responsibilities.  I would suggest that your partner plays with you more on the dance floor.  Going by GreenEyes26's quote on another thread where she quoted from the Inner Game of Music, your partner can't serve a ball if he's worried about too many things.  The man is serving, the lady is returning the ball.  If the man isn't serving properly, there's not much the lady can return.  My 2 cents.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:05:25 AM by Some guy » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 10:44:48 AM »

One could add that the man should not be trying to anticipate what the woman will do - its a common mistake.  Under the guise sometimes of caring the man actually does not trust the woman to follow so he adds extra instructions.  The effect on the woman is three fold: first, she gets confusing leads, second she can't move because her freedom to dance has been taken away and third, and worst, she senses that the man does not trust her and then her failure to follow becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This can be seen from both perspectives since it is also very tempting for the woman to try to 'help' the man lead or even dance the steps before they are led.  This has exactly the same effect on the man. 

The meaning of all this is that the man must lead clearly and unambigiously - if the woman does not follow then there is something that needs a coaches attention - trying to fix it by the above is simply not on.  Likewise, the woman has to wait.  Wait for the initiation of power and then excercise her power to all of her capabilities.

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 11:43:39 AM »

I'm with Elise on that one.  The main fixes I received this coaching session was to direct more of my intentions towards what I want to happen rather than how I want it to happen.  The lady gets the "what" and her body performs it flawlessly... almost like women have a mind of their own  Tongue  The man is the painter and he only has to think the picture he has to draw and his lady (the paintbrush) creates it.  If he were to go into the details of how he's connected with his arm to the paintbrush and how he's going to transmit his intentions via his arm muscles to the paintbrush, stopping briefly to think about how much sway to add to the paintbrush as it takes corners, he'll get too engrossed in helping the paintbrush and the resulting picture won't be very pretty.  Also, it won't be anywhere close to what he had in his mind.

Yes, the lesson was that women have a mind of their own.   Cool  Yours truly needed to be reminded of that on the dancefloor, for some reason.  Turns out that I have a mind of my own too.  I just have to think the picture and my body creates it in my body and transmits the picture to the lady's mind.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:05:49 PM by Some guy » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: