partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 04:50:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Humourous names for dances and steps
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Humourous names for dances and steps  (Read 4932 times)
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »

Probably, SW.  I'm not sure if Australia has ice hockey or not.

A picture of an ice hockey stick, to clarify:
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 04:12:28 AM »

well, it illustrates the bend well but not the distances does it?  Perhaps it should be called the boomerang step - then the aussies would be teaching us Smiley

see, thats perfect - right angle, right proportions too

I see a revolution here Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 04:15:15 AM »

LOL!

On that note, I don't see how a Whip in the jive looks like a whip. Any illustrations?  Roll Eyes
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2009, 04:38:29 AM »

I think its more about the action than the shape...

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 09:25:27 AM »

LOL!

On that note, I don't see how a Whip in the jive looks like a whip. Any illustrations?  Roll Eyes
Elise is right, it's actually the feeling of the step if you've got the right partner connection.  It's actually a lot of fun!

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »

Any clues where the hockey stick came from? I can't really picture the step looking like a hockey stick, maybe I need a birds eye view of the step.  Roll Eyes

You will need a birds eye view to see the Hockey Stick. You can also see the image another way. If you have a rope put it on the floor so that it outlines the shape of a hockey stick. Now have the lady dance her steps following the outline of the rope. There you go Hockey Stick.

DSV

It's probably worth it to point out that the hockey stick referred to in the step is an ice hockey stick; my pro is South African, and he was telling me not too long ago that when he first learned that step (and for years afterwards) he was really confused as to why it was called that because apparently field hockey sticks in South Africa are much more curved than ice hockey sticks.  Since they don't have ice hockey in South Africa, he didn't know what shape the step was referring to.  It wasn't until he moved to the States that he got the connection. Cheesy

Thank you for that information. I didn't know that there were any other forms of hockey sticks other then the ones use in ice hockey and dancing. Live and learn. Thank you MC

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »

This is a field hockey stick. Smiley  There's a substantial difference because in field hockey you're hitting a ball with a decent amount of heft that's sitting in the grass.  In ice hockey, you've got a flat puck that moves smoothly along ice.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »

well, it illustrates the bend well but not the distances does it?  Perhaps it should be called the boomerang step - then the aussies would be teaching us Smiley

see, thats perfect - right angle, right proportions too

I see a revolution here Smiley

There ya go!  Yeah, that's a better illustration.  Cheesy Just thought I'd put up a pic of an ice hockey stick since that's what the syllabus is referring to.

Thank you for that information. I didn't know that there were any other forms of hockey sticks other then the ones use in ice hockey and dancing. Live and learn. Thank you MC

You're welcome!  I didn't either--well, I knew that field hockey existed but not that the sticks were different.  The step made perfect sense to me, so my pro telling me that story really made me laugh!

This is a field hockey stick. Smiley  There's a substantial difference because in field hockey you're hitting a ball with a decent amount of heft that's sitting in the grass.  In ice hockey, you've got a flat puck that moves smoothly along ice.

That would be why my pro was confused, LOL--that's the "hockey stick" he was only familiar with growing up!
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 04:06:49 PM »

I played field hockey in HS and grew up in Canada, so I'm pretty familiar with both.  (I prefer the ice hockey though. Wink)

standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 11:56:12 AM »

It’s such a cute thread! I also like DSV’s explanation of figures, might be slightly off topic since we are trying to be funny here, but those are indeed great explanation!

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 03:28:48 PM »

Do you have any special names?

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »

Came up with this one tonight: Twinkle and weave = tinkle and leave
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »

Came up with this one tonight: Twinkle and weave = tinkle and leave

Cheesy

skipper
Bronze

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »

VW  also known a vietnamese waltz-----
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2010, 12:04:06 AM »

VW  also known a vietnamese waltz-----

I just had a student ask me yesterday to have a look at their Vietnamese Waltz Grin

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: