partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 01:36:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116513 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Humourous names for dances and steps
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Humourous names for dances and steps  (Read 5311 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:05 PM »

The Waves......was original danced more curved then it is done today outlining a sound wave.

DSV
so is that something to aim for?  It still has a wavy feel to it if the woman 'swings' (is that the right term??) left to right and back.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 01:42:53 PM »

The Waves......was original danced more curved then it is done today outlining a sound wave.

DSV
so is that something to aim for?  It still has a wavy feel to it if the woman 'swings' (is that the right term??) left to right and back.

We all danced the original Reverse Wave for a while (the real wave look and inside instead of outside). It is a little more challenging then the way it is done today. It also moves less as it is not stretched out as in a linear way of dancing it.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2009, 01:45:10 PM »

but DSV - we're talkin' funny names here Smiley so to me its always out to lunch Smiley

OK, can any of you guess what the "penguins" are?

Edward Teller
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2009, 01:53:11 PM »

I know what the penguins are! They're the polar bear's feet on a Canadian two dollar coin! Cheesy

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

I thought you were going to say that they are the diddy polar bears of the Antartic!

But what ARE (dance) penguins?  Actually reminds me of a rumba walk...
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:18:31 PM by elisedance » Logged

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 03:52:59 PM »

It's a popular step in Standard.

I am not sure you have danced them as of yet. I am sure you pro does them or have done them at one time. Wink

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 04:02:28 PM »

awe man ..... so should I ask Polina? will she know?

I am sure Polina have danced them....but she may not know them by that name Wink

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »

Hmmm...penguins trip over their feet, and I trip over mine Roll Eyes...
No idea what they are!

Any clues where the hockey stick came from? I can't really picture the step looking like a hockey stick, maybe I need a birds eye view of the step.  Roll Eyes
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 12:03:09 AM »

No idea what they are!

It is a popular step that a top pro rename during a video taping in Japan. He was tired as he had done 10 hours of filming. The real name of the step starts with a "P" as well and is done in Quickstep.

Any clues where the hockey stick came from? I can't really picture the step looking like a hockey stick, maybe I need a birds eye view of the step.  Roll Eyes

You will need a birds eye view to see the Hockey Stick. You can also see the image another way. If you have a rope put it on the floor so that it outlines the shape of a hockey stick. Now have the lady dance her steps following the outline of the rope. There you go Hockey Stick.

DSV

Edward Teller
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 12:07:23 AM »

I don't dance international, but have definitely heard the hockey stick one before.

And I think it's a safe bet that Polina knows of most anything you might ask her, even if just by a differnet name. Smiley
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2009, 01:00:51 AM »

Now I am curious!
Of course, my QS is non-existent at this point, so I don't know the answer!

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2009, 01:28:39 AM »

No idea what they are!

It is a popular step that a top pro rename during a video taping in Japan. He was tired as he had done 10 hours of filming. The real name of the step starts with a "P" as well and is done in Quickstep.

You will need a birds eye view to see the Hockey Stick. You can also see the image another way. If you have a rope put it on the floor so that it outlines the shape of a hockey stick. Now have the lady dance her steps following the outline of the rope. There you go Hockey Stick.

DSV

It's probably worth it to point out that the hockey stick referred to in the step is an ice hockey stick; my pro is South African, and he was telling me not too long ago that when he first learned that step (and for years afterwards) he was really confused as to why it was called that because apparently field hockey sticks in South Africa are much more curved than ice hockey sticks.  Since they don't have ice hockey in South Africa, he didn't know what shape the step was referring to.  It wasn't until he moved to the States that he got the connection. Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2009, 02:25:46 AM »

interesting tidbit! 
reminds me of growing up in england and hearing that song 'Poison Ivy' and wondering what on earth it was about (we don't have poison ivy and english ivy, which is common here too is not poisonous) Smiley

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2009, 02:37:32 AM »

Yeah, he had me cracking up telling me the story--especially the part where he realized what an ice hockey stick looked like and made the connection!  LOL...

I don't know if this discrepancy between hockey stick shapes is the case in Australia, but just in case it is, I figured that might be a useful bit of information for the Down Under faction. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 02:39:49 AM by MusicChica » Logged
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »

Ok...I was thinking Australian hockey...field hockey?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: