partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 03:34:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Timing of the Lead
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Timing of the Lead  (Read 3099 times)
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »

Exactly. I was telling a student today to dance with the lady - not for her; to lead himself, and allow the lady to follow.
This is so important - and should go on the 'wish they had taught this at the beginning' topic.  Interestingly, if the woman tries to help the man dance she is immediatel reprimanded but the othe rway round is usually ignored - but its just as detrimental to the woman.  When the man goes out of his way to put me in the right place he confuses me since I can no longer feel the correct lead - its gone.  At the moment many of our lessons center on DP doing his step and ignoring me so that I can do mine.

My instructor did a full out quickstep with hop, skips, contra checks and so forth and danced it with me with no arms.  He was showing us that we do not need our arms to pull or push but rather if he does his own part as correctly as possible I will be able to respond and do my part.  In other words don't try and lead the lady but rather let her follow your frame as her lead.  When I dance the man's part I am aware of what the lady needs but over all I just take care of myself and the ladies say that what they feel is far clearer than a guy that is trying to physically move them.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2009, 10:26:54 PM »

[I'd love to hear which instructor that was...the blond tall one?? Smiley]

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2009, 10:48:12 PM »

[I'd love to hear which instructor that was...the blond tall one?? Smiley]

Yes, Mr. DQ.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:30 AM »

We should start a movement to change these term - needs a new topic!

My instructor did a full out quickstep with hop, skips, contra checks and so forth and danced it with me with no arms.  He was showing us that we do not need our arms to pull or push but rather if he does his own part as correctly as possible I will be able to respond and do my part.  In other words don't try and lead the lady but rather let her follow your frame as her lead.  When I dance the man's part I am aware of what the lady needs but over all I just take care of myself and the ladies say that what they feel is far clearer than a guy that is trying to physically move them.

Exactly. From the very first class, I tell follows that the very last thing I ever want them to do in dance is to follow me. Please, do not ever follow your partner. Then, after the usual jaw drops, I explain that lead and follow does not refer to the man leading the lady and the lady following the man, rather it is the man leading the movement, and the lady following the dance. They always get it quite easily.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 02:57:00 AM »

From the very first class, I tell follows that the very last thing I ever want them to do in dance is to follow me. Please, do not ever follow your partner. Then, after the usual jaw drops, I explain that lead and follow does not refer to the man leading the lady and the lady following the man, rather it is the man leading the movement, and the lady following the dance. They always get it quite easily.

I just had to quote that - its priceless too.  
TD you are a gem Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: