partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:49:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dancesport series
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: dancesport series  (Read 5198 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15:56 PM »

I wish I was as nice as you (I mean that) but I have to admit the vanity that I would find it a thrill to be listed in dancebeat.  Of course its but a pipe dream cause at my age I could only hope to get listed for being the last woman standing on the dance floor Tongue

OTOH, maybe I could achieve that!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 03:25:45 PM »

Yeah, I'd sure like to be in dancebeat sometime.  Lots of friends are, maybe I could get in sometime for "And cheering them on from the sideline as they won yet again was ETP!"

That'd be alright too.  Smiley  I think my best chance of being in dancebeat though is jsut in background of pictures of the pros.  I need to make sure I always buy the seats in front.  Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »

Or you can do a Forrest Gump - volunteer to provide them photos on the spot and then just add yourself afterwards Smiley 

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 12:19:30 PM »

Be careful what you wish for, your dancebeat write-up can turn out to be unflattering, to put it nicely.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 12:27:16 PM »

Yes, but I suppose thats true for anything that you do in public, in particular a sport or performance...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 04:05:12 PM »

[Please no one get angry OK.  This topic went way off base - but generated a very interesting new thread on reporting.  I cut this off and made a new topic under 'general dancesport' on reporting.  Hope thats OK with everyone....  maybe we can stick to pro/am dancesport series here?

The new topic is called: "Dancesport writing and publishing - articles, journals etc"]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:08:10 PM by elisedance » Logged

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 12:08:20 AM »

Interestingly, related to this subject or the added value one, seems prestige awards (ballromo emmys/tonys/whatever) awards best am female/male dancers and best pro am couples. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2009, 07:35:51 AM »

can you give us a link to that etp?

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 07:48:51 AM »

http://www.prestigeawards.org/

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »

tks..

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »

The instructions for selection for the DSS team match competition (on the DSS web) page read:

E. DanceSport Series Team Match Qualification

1. North America is divided into 7 regions.

2. Each regional team will consist of 12 couples,
in each of the four styles: Smooth, Rhythm, Standard, Latin and three age levels.

Age Groups
A. 16-35
B. 36-50
C. 51 & over

3. Points will be based on accumulation of callbacks and placements earned throughout the 2009 Series Events starting with the 2008 O.S.B., and team representation will be decided at the conclusion of the last series event prior to the 2009 O.S.B.

4. Student can represent only one age and style. The night of team match finale, if need be students mybe ask to dance two ages and two styles.

5. Age qualification is based on the first entry of a World Pro-Am DanceSport
Series Events qualifying team match event. That age will continue through out the series.

6. Teacher can be represented more than once.

7. Should there be a tie between two students for Team Match eligibility, we will review the placements of the tied students for the entire World Pro-Am DanceSport
Series season. The Student with the majority of “wins” will break the tie and become the official member of the Regional Team.

So as above, the pro/am with the most points in the catagory is selected for the team.

However, does anyone know if it actually works this way?  For example, has anyone actually been contacted by OSB to invite them on the team?  Or is this done through a regional coordinator?  Also, do they actually follow the points scores?

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »

However, does anyone know if it actually works this way?  For example, has anyone actually been contacted by OSB to invite them on the team?  Or is this done through a regional coordinator?  Also, do they actually follow the points scores?

My understanding is that they will ask the top person for the region/age/style category who is actually attending OSB and they will do so a week or so before the event. That makes sense, since entries deadline is well before that. I strongly doubt that they are going to call the top person if they did not submit their entries and hence it is safe to assume that they are not planning to attend, and ask them to come over and dance in the team match. This is how I ended up on the team a couple of years ago. I was 2nd in ladies A standard, and the top person did not attend OSB that year. So they called my teacher and told him, about a week before, if I remember correctly.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »

I do remember some complaints last year about how late they call people, but can't remember details.  Might have been not when they asked, but details of schedule, that they asked people just a few days before, but their events weren't on same days as team match, so they had to try to add a day to hotel reservations
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »

I do remember some complaints last year about how late they call people, but can't remember details.  Might have been not when they asked, but details of schedule, that they asked people just a few days before, but their events weren't on same days as team match, so they had to try to add a day to hotel reservations

If I remember correctly, the last competition which contributes points towards the team match and the series itself is on the first weekend of november. So, by the time they have processed the results from it, they probably have about a week left. The team match is on Thursday night, btw, so if someone just does standard, they have to arrange to get there 2 days before their events.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 12:00:21 AM »

ahh, gotcha, that makes sense.  Considering i mostly follow pros, and even that is mainly just this year, explains why I didn't catch that one. T Hanks! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: