partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:02:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  dancesport series
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: dancesport series  (Read 4887 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

They really should finish the year a month or so before OSB and start all tallies after that for the next year.  If thats the problem.

However, when I did the team match I heard a couple of stories of pro/ams who had the scores to represent their region but were not asked to do so.  When one of these asked, sne was allowed to dance but for a different region!  So I suspect there are regional managers who actually do the selection.  And yes, some people DO get calls before the comp to participate.  I suspect the dancers take the team match more seriously than the organizers do.

Whatever the system I wish they posted it so that it could be transparrent.  Actually maybe I could aske them for an account for the forum?   

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 03:41:23 PM »

I just received a call from my pro that we were asked to represent our region this year for standard. I am not on the top in my age group, so hopefully they asked the ladies above me and they declined. As a matter of fact, I am leaning towards declining, too, since I was not planning to be there on the team match night at all.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 04:02:48 PM »

I just received a call from my pro that we were asked to represent our region this year for standard. I am not on the top in my age group, so hopefully they asked the ladies above me and they declined. As a matter of fact, I am leaning towards declining, too, since I was not planning to be there on the team match night at all.

Wow, I didn't know they did calls.  Back when I was in it it was more about whoever turned up (yes, I know that wasn't how it was marketed Wink ).  Shame you can't do it - it was a lot of fun even though I screwed up rather Roll Eyes

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »

Wow, I didn't know they did calls.  Back when I was in it it was more about whoever turned up (yes, I know that wasn't how it was marketed Wink ).  Shame you can't do it - it was a lot of fun even though I screwed up rather Roll Eyes
I've done it once, I think the 2nd time I went to OSB 4 years ago. It was fun, but I was also competing in smooth there that year because silver smooth was still on thursday (so I got there the night before). I don't think it is worth a) changing a plane ticket to a more expensive and less convenient one (and paying to change it), b) paying for an extra night and c) taking 2 days off just to be there on thursday. When I start doing gold smooth, then I'll be dancing at OSB on thursdays again. I bet you some of the other ladies are in the same position as I am - they are not doing smooth, so they're not going to be there until the day after the team match.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »

I dont know how they can address it we have the same problem here with some of our events.  airfares, cost of accommodation , entry etc. makes it cost prohibitive.... as much as you would love to represent. the dollar can only go so far.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2013, 05:24:19 AM »

Could somebody explain to me what dancesport series is?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2013, 11:30:18 PM »

On the positive side its an attempt to create a national competition between pro-am dancers.  Large comps will have 'dancesport series' heats which are basically multi-dance scholarship comps  (sometimes they are separate, sometimes they are the multi heat comps).  However, in addition to winning the event you also accumulate points in a central database that allows you to compare your performance with other pro-ams.  The pros also accumulate points but they are assessed separately (for obvious reasons - mostly because the pros have multiple ams). 

At the end of the year - which is November corresponding to the Ohio Star ball (which runs the series) the point accumulation leads to prizes and the right to participate in the team matches. 

I was initially excited about this as I thought it was going to be a serious competition and that winning it actually meant something.  However, you get almost as many points for entering comps as for actually beating anyone - so the outsome is that the dancer that spends the most gets the highest value.  I think you can see the objective here Tongue

Its a real shame and I wish they would try again.  Currently, the best way to achieve recognition as a pro-am is to compete at ohio and do well there.  There is no real international grading system or championship that everyone recognizes as the defining standard - such as Blackpool or the world championships for AM or Pro

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2013, 11:33:50 PM »

Oh.  I have heard of that.  The name just didn't sound familiar.  Cool

Dona nobis pacem.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »

Just FYI, it seems that it's being redesigned. I checked their website today, and it looks to me as if parts of the series are redone to have fewer regions or maybe the whole thing will be eventually redone to have 4 regions total: 3 in United States (east, central, west) and 1 for Canada.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2013, 04:56:11 AM »

thanks for the update ttd - its generally a neat idea but IMO there's LOTS of room for improvement.  I mean they could actually make it meaningful Undecided

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: