partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 08:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Pros: what are you paying for?
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pros: what are you paying for?  (Read 299 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: November 30, 2013, 08:28:47 AM »

Taking a lesson obviously involves learning a skill and/or information.  However, there are often - usually - additional expectations in the teaching-student relationship.  Thus, if you are a graduate student you learn your supervisors area of research but you also have expectations of career guidance and (in good relationships) continuing mentoring after you leave (such as reference letters, career decisions etc).

I think there is a spectrum of expectations in pro-am - and an equal (but not necessarily matching) set of expectations by the pro.  I wish we had some participatory pros on here at this time - maybe one will pop in (anything could happen Shocked ) but we do have a few pro-ams.  This topic is only about the value-added, non-teaching expectations in the pro-am relationship.

For me when I pay for pro-am I am paying not for a lesson but (if my plans include competing with this pro at least) its basically also a 'partner-for-hire' program.  This must be tough on the pro since they have to be partner to each student - and also of course to their pro follower.  Thus, my expectations can not be extensive.  But I wonder what others expect?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: