partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 04:24:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Pro-Am Pro & Distance
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Pro-Am Pro & Distance  (Read 2415 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

I get the feeling that amateur partnerships are a lot like frictional unemployment. There are people out there who are perfectly good matches.  They just can't find each other because the current matching system doesn't work well. *sigh*

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 05:45:44 AM »

Well when you've spent years looking you realize that the dream is unresolvable because they really are not there, at least for adults.  Of course my height and level combined with age are factors that reduce the possibilities to ~0.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »

Back on topic. While it is possible to have a long-distance relationship, and many people are successful with that, I am now located in the same town as my pro and it makes a noticeable difference to me. The lessons are much better because no one is tight from a 2+ hour drive, I can spread them out (like do 1 hour several days a week instead of doing 2 hours twice a week), I can go to an advanced group class that he teaches. So this makes for a much better dance situation than my previous arrangement.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 03:50:51 AM »

sounds good.  I can't think of any advantages to a distant partnership - perhaps if you have a secret lover in the same city  Grin

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 08:37:38 AM »

sounds good.  I can't think of any advantages to a distant partnership - perhaps if you have a secret lover in the same city  Grin

Well, in my case, an obvious advantage was that I competed with and took lessons from someone better than anyone who lived in my town. And there are still a number of competitve dancers where I used to live who still do same thing as i did: they drive 2 hours for their pro-am lessons. But shotening the dance commute was on the list of positives for my current location.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »

I guess I miswrote a bit - I meant advantage to having your (the same) pro far away or nearby - the point you make is of course critical since your desired pro may simply be too far away to make it practical.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

I guess I miswrote a bit - I meant advantage to having your (the same) pro far away or nearby - the point you make is of course critical since your desired pro may simply be too far away to make it practical.
All other things being equal, obviously it's better not to have the commute. But sometimes (and it's probably especially true in smaller communities removed from bigger population hubs), further away = better.

And really, I hate to be so specific, because you can easily guess who I'm talking about, but there are dancers based in stl,mo area whose very well-known pros are based in nashville. That's a 5+ hour drive. Stl area has good pros of both genders, and afaik those ams take lessons from them sometimes, but they still choose to compete with those other pros.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »

which comes back to the question why - and to what extent the qualifications of the pro determine the result.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 08:17:39 PM »

which comes back to the question why - and to what extent the qualifications of the pro determine the result.
FWIW, one person in question, when she chooses to dance down in age, beats me. But she's also been doing open for a lot longer than I have.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 10:44:17 PM »

FWIW, one person in question, when she chooses to dance down in age, beats me. But she's also been doing open for a lot longer than I have.
Some strong dancers look for more competition - or maybe they don't want to admit their age Wink 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: