partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Things you wish instructors would emphasize sooner
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you wish instructors would emphasize sooner  (Read 13814 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »

I think that forwards thing is confusing - it sounds like you are banging heads - its actually just what the man is doing but continuing the shape to the tip of the head - 'spiraling' is a better description for me

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:52 PM »

It really is amazing how much is an illusion.  I had a friend that was taking daily lessons down in Florida with a guy that was charging her big bucks.  He would have her bend way back and then when she saw herself in the mirror she thought she had achieved that big look that the top dancers have.  When she came back home 9 months later it was with a bad back and the inability to dance with anyone comfortably since she had her stomach shoved into them, not allowing them to move.  I was telling her that it was created by bringing the body forward under the head with the ribs toward the man rather than the head back beyond the body so the stomach sticks into the man and the ribs aways from him.  She mentioned that it was no wonder the men would complain that she was heavy and hard to move.  She took some lessons with a person that knew the mechanics and after a few months she was saying that the men were complimenting her on being light and easy to dance with and how glad they were that she wasn't leaning way back anymore.  As for the guy in Florida that taught her she realizes now that he was just trying to impress her with BS so that she would happily come back every day.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2009, 01:26:20 AM »

The sad thing Rugby is that the story you narrated is more the norm than the exception.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2009, 07:06:17 AM »

Shaping is truly one of the magics of partner dancing.  Doing it correctly is totally different from the illusion that is created so its no wonder that anyone untrained in its arts woudl teach it wrongly.  I can remember arguing with a coach that was trying to teach me the right way, insisting thaty they had to be wrong Embarrassed  Ah well better late than never Undecided

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13:59 AM »

Since we're currently discussing woman's shaping, I thought I'd post following from youtube. It's a short video of Ann Gleave describing ladies dance position. I posted it on the other forum for comment, and a couple people said it seemed like good advice. I'm thinking it's something that should be taught early on. Very simple in concept.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EYf2pnQEF4

"It's not what you do, but how you do it."

"The Truth in Ballroom Dance is found in the Basic steps."

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2009, 12:59:14 PM »

fantastic - thanks pruthe

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »

I just looked at it - her posture is nothing short of amazing and the info is great - but what a teaser!!  How can one not go to the site and get the DVD.

Does anyone have the whole thing? [come to think of it - do we have a topic on teaching DVDs?]

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2009, 03:22:37 PM »

You can find the legal version at:

http://www.thedancingchannels.com/

Go into Store and then Ballroom section. It's on the last Ballroom product page toward bottom of page. Video is a bit expensive and looks like only available in VHS (NTSC) format. I'm thinking about purchasing this, and maybe some of John Wood videos. Ann Gleave was I think his partner. Looks like some other good videos of past champions there too.

pruthe

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2009, 04:23:11 PM »

It is WAY cheaper at:
http://vndance.wordpress.com/standard/

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:52 PM »

Don't think videos at this site are legal.

A.S.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2009, 04:52:17 PM »

seems hard to believe doesn't it... but thats who posted the YouTube you provided a link to Wink

pruthe
Bronze

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »

Yes, I'm glad posted on youtube, because I probably wouldn't have found, but appears to me that most/all videos on this site are illegal being sold at discount rates. I think probably a lot of illegal videos on youtube. Just haven't been discovered yet and removed.

A.S.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2009, 03:50:45 AM »

Just a note; I believe this video to be a really good one.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2009, 07:34:16 AM »

Aha!  I'm not sure DSV is as taken with it.  Is it possible - we may get a discussion between you two  Grin

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2009, 02:24:15 PM »

Aha!  I'm not sure DSV is as taken with it.  Is it possible - we may get a discussion between you two  Grin

I am not saying it is wrong. What I want to make sure everybody understand and what I am saying there are 4 Schools of Thought and this video only represents one of them. It is a great representation but nevertheless it only one way so do not be discouraged if you are not doing it the same way. 

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: