partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 09:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Things you wish instructors would emphasize sooner
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Things you wish instructors would emphasize sooner  (Read 13929 times)
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2009, 02:23:30 PM »

Posture and 'how to move' (if that makes sense to anyone!)

Dance like you're going to fall over
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2009, 02:31:46 PM »

That's actually one of the most important things Pinkstuff!  After three years of learning, I had a lesson a Latin lesson with Paul Killick.  He was the first world class dancer I had a lesson from.  Before I even took a step, he stopped the music, looked at me and said, "you can't dance with your current posture.  If I dance with that posture I won't last 30-seconds on the dance floor!".  Then I had a Standard lesson with Jonathan Wilkins within a few months.  Before I took my first step, same story: he stopped the music and said, "you can't move the way you're standing". 

Sure enough, that's when I was first introduced to "athletic posture".
pinkstuff
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 02:43:03 PM »

Had similar experience - spent an entire lesson working on movement and posture, at end of lesson had made massive difference - am hoping some of it will last!  I wonder though if I had been taught some of this earlier might have saved a bit of angst??  Not sure though Smiley

Dance like you're going to fall over
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 03:09:44 PM »

That's putting it mildly Pinkstuff.  I'm sure it would've saved quite a bit of angst!  I was so upset that not once in 3-years was I told that I was standing wrong that I stopped taking any more lessons from my coaches at the time. 
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2009, 03:10:58 PM »

One thing our studio does and we do, too, is just teach the right effin' box in Waltz.

Every "re-teach" we get, their foot STICKS or wants to go back, and it frustrates SO many of them.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2009, 03:13:26 PM »

Oh- forgot:

Viennese Waltz- I wish more instructors would emphasize that the person on the inside of the rotation MUST "be smaller" so that the one on the outside of the rotation can get around, to make it "linear", and to not try to haul each other around.

This is the aftermath of my traumatic VW with a delightful gentleman  at an undisclosed dance venue this past weekend. I just *knew* someone was going to mow right over the top of us, arms flailing, Warpspeed.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2009, 04:59:21 PM »

This is the aftermath of my traumatic VW with a delightful gentleman  at an undisclosed dance venue this past weekend. I just *knew* someone was going to mow right over the top of us, arms flailing, Warpspeed.

I don't suppose there is a video of the event is there Roll Eyes

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2009, 09:37:59 PM »

*nervously eyes MC*... there *isn't*..,. is there?.....
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2009, 11:49:02 PM »

Oh- forgot:

Viennese Waltz- I wish more instructors would emphasize that the person on the inside of the rotation MUST "be smaller" so that the one on the outside of the rotation can get around, to make it "linear", and to not try to haul each other around.

Grin  Rule #1 of any kind of racing: the path around the inside of a turn is shorter than the path around the outside of the turn.
Ginger
Bronze

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2009, 12:35:45 AM »

Ethical philosophies: If you're at a practice or social, it's OKAY to bump someone- these things happen (unless it's the Smooth Crowd practicing routines during open dancing- a rant for another day). Just smile, say you're sorry, go on. You will accidentally get touched in inappropriate places, you will have to dance with your instructors instead of just each other, etc. This kind of thing scares the hell out of a lot of newbs, and I didn't realize it until this last class with the college we're teaching. I said "Can I dance with you to show you where she should be? I'm gonna manhandle you now, K?" The guy blushed, stuttered, mumbled the "don't usually dance with anybody else"- but after I PUT him where he needed to be so I could be there, too, he was all "Oh, that makes sense"- now he calls me or J over for help.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2009, 04:24:15 AM »

*nervously eyes MC*... there *isn't*..,. is there?.....

LOL, no.  And I maintain that you're braver than me.  I stopped being able to put up with that guy a long time ago.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2009, 04:39:02 AM »

WOW SG, you just described what puzzles me about the way dancing is taught here in the US. Shocked When I was taught to teach, what you are describing as the “new way” is how I was taught to teach.
Was accused of this just last week. At a coaching in GA, the dancers said to me of a technique concept, "It can't possible be that simple". When I assured them that it was, they accused me of teaching myself out of a job. They said that it needed to be taught more difficulty, or in parts, in order to make it more interesting and last. I laughed and said that this was very amer., and that they were already more interested b/c they were talking aobut it, and, not to worry, it would last and there would be much more to work on.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2009, 04:41:54 AM »

One thing our studio does and we do, too, is just teach the right effin' box in Waltz.

Every "re-teach" we get, their foot STICKS or wants to go back, and it frustrates SO many of them.

This is a huge dilemma. I solve it by telling persons from day 1 that the waltz is not a box step, but the box is a step in waltz (#3, after having learned forward/backward progressives or closed changes in the intl).

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »

Was accused of this just last week. At a coaching in GA, the dancers said to me of a technique concept, "It can't possible be that simple". When I assured them that it was, they accused me of teaching myself out of a job.
I wonder what it is about ballroom dancing that makes us want to make it more difficult than it really is.  I for one am in love with the illusion created by the simplicity of it.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2009, 11:24:38 AM »

Was accused of this just last week. At a coaching in GA, the dancers said to me of a technique concept, "It can't possible be that simple". When I assured them that it was, they accused me of teaching myself out of a job. They said that it needed to be taught more difficulty, or in parts, in order to make it more interesting and last. I laughed and said that this was very amer., and that they were already more interested b/c they were talking aobut it, and, not to worry, it would last and there would be much more to work on.

I am so glad to hear you say that. I get that all the time. It is interesting that they don't think there is enough to work on. I have been retired for 20 years and I am still working on my dancing and I have always done it the simple way. I am very happy and relieved to hear that I am not the only one fighting that battle.

I was actually just talking about this to a very dear friend of mine yesterday over dinner.

We came to the conclusion that it feels as if they feel comfortable to make it so difficult that then will never achieve a descent level of dancing. Here we are asking them to join us and show them how easy it is to join us and they resist tooth and nail. “They seem to enjoy staying in the gutter” as a very famous lady coach in England used to say it. It is baffling that they seem to want to put top dancers on a pedestal that their can never reach.

I guess it is just one of those things that I will not understand. If you have a change of getting really good at something and somebody offers to show you the way and you still choose to go a different way just because, why?. I understand that everybody has to go their own path to wherever they want to go. But if somebody is willing to show you the way and that person is where you want to go or have helped others to get to where you want to go, then why fight it. It doesn’t make logic sense to me at all. Oh well, their choice.

Sorry, it is a subject that has always baffled me. 

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: