partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2014, 06:13:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116449 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  hot dance news (must have a source)
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: hot dance news (must have a source)  (Read 13027 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2014, 03:15:48 AM »

That lasted just over a year I think.  They won every WDSF championship competition - except when when Mirko and Edita were entered.  

Good luck to Joanne - I'm sure there are a dozen top prospects!

yes and no. Anna Longmore still has not found a partner, I think she has given up.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:57:27 PM by QPO » Logged

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »

I wonder if when they get teaching a lot they lose their focus for competing.  I know Paulo teaches a fair bit, many of the Senior dancers from Toronto go to Italy to work with him.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #182 on: March 06, 2014, 06:02:06 PM »

I suspect the competition scene gets a bit stale.  Its very expensive so many active competitors do not have the resources to have a normal life and of course its totally disruptive so its hard to have a studio either - until you are at the very top. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »

Recently Matt Rook Announce that his one yer partnership with Jelena Huh? was over due to a career ending injury Huh? And yes he would be looking for new partner ASAP...interesting. I did not like her style but I hope whatever is the problem it is not career ending!

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #184 on: March 08, 2014, 08:47:06 AM »

Recently Matt Rook Announce that his one yer partnership with Jelena Huh? was over due to a career ending injury Huh? And yes he would be looking for new partner ASAP...interesting. I did not like her style but I hope whatever is the problem it is not career ending!
Sad  - they were just getting started. 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2014, 12:47:11 AM »

I see that Emanuel Valeri and Tanya Kellet have turned professional.  But I think they will dance mostly WDSF

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2014, 05:22:49 AM »

I see that Emanuel Valeri and Tanya Kellet have turned professional.  But I think they will dance mostly WDSF
Interesting - I wonder what set that decision.  Perhaps because the WDC rankings are too much written in stone? 

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2014, 12:53:58 AM »

well not sure but I was surprised about that they were quicker that  the German couple Claudia and Huh but when you have won so many world titles what is left?  I still think it would be more plausible to have others win anyone one of the finalist in most competitions would be able to win!  I cant see how the same couple can win  time and time again, we have the same problem locally

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #188 on: April 29, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »

So do we and it is because none of the judges want to be the ones to put the top couple into second.  They wait for the European judges to do it instead.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2014, 07:41:43 AM »

So do we and it is because none of the judges want to be the ones to put the top couple into second.  They wait for the European judges to do it instead.

how to guarantee that you are a second-rate dance community - follow like sheep.

They should all be fired.  We might do better with non-dancers just judging by personal opinion - at least it would be impartial.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2014, 09:12:41 PM »

how to guarantee that you are a second-rate dance community - follow like sheep.

They should all be fired.  We might do better with non-dancers just judging by personal opinion - at least it would be impartial.

That is what the WDSF has done, they have engaged professional people like doctors layers etc to be judges they cannot teach any of the students. I don't think the results would be too different from a trained dancer who judges. people can tell the difference in the end between good and bad dancing, as long as they are not being influenced by the countries involved.

If I dance badly I don't want the mark but when people tell me that our dancing was better than the winner, then I get annoyed.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »

We have had it both ways.  At one comp one of the judges, who was not judging our event, told us that though we should win we were not going to since we were slated for third as the two couples that were going to get first and second paid to win.  This really peeved me.  There are also times that we have been upset because we did win and did not feel we should have.  Twice we went to the judges and complained about winning.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2014, 08:36:57 AM »

We have had it both ways.  At one comp one of the judges, who was not judging our event, told us that though we should win we were not going to since we were slated for third as the two couples that were going to get first and second paid to win.  This really peeved me.  There are also times that we have been upset because we did win and did not feel we should have.  Twice we went to the judges and complained about winning.

I understand that. it would be great if each time it was a genuine result. then you can live with it. when they say that you should  have made that final  and don't it is very demoralizing, but we know the follies of dancing so we have to try not to be dissapointed. it is our love of dancing that keeps us driving us along.

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2014, 11:08:42 PM »

True.  We always used to throw out the high and the low score knowing that we may have both friend and foe on the panel.  By taking out the high and low it neutralizes this.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2014, 08:29:45 AM »

But with a full panel the whims of one judge have little effect - thats the strength of the skating system of scoring (if you get 7/9 first places it matters naught if the other two judges marked you last).  But it does not affect a larger scale of collusion.  Just as in ice skating the judges can discuss results beforehand and agree on mutual interests.  Its almost impossible to stop.  You know of stories of judging sheets that were filled out before the heat began ....

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: