partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 04:08:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition stories
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Competition stories  (Read 1924 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »

......to allow for judges room...but sometimes they actually stand in the middle. rather that the edge it is safer for them
Shocked
not when we are dancing
Geronimo!!!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »

I did not feel one up but I bonked one on the score sheet the were holding, they were standing around the edge and my arm went up and over and down onto the board...ooops kept smiling like nothing happened  Roll Eyes

You should perfect this skill to where you're able to get really close to the judge, grab the judge's pen, mark a recall for yourself, and put the pen back in the hands of the judge who's too flustered by your uncomfortable proximity. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »

I did not feel one up but I bonked one on the score sheet the were holding, they were standing around the edge and my arm went up and over and down onto the board...ooops kept smiling like nothing happened  Roll Eyes

You should perfect this skill to where you're able to get really close to the judge, grab the judge's pen, mark a recall for yourself, and put the pen back in the hands of the judge who's too flustered by your uncomfortable proximity. 
..meanwhile erasing the national champion ....

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »

I've almost hit judges a couple of times...never actually hit them though. I've always been able to dance smaller and avoid them, and then spring back into shape straight after.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »

yes we are learning to start fruther in from the floor to allow for judges room...but sometimes they actually stand in the middle. rather that the edge it is safer for them

Err...why?  Around here the only time the judges stand in the middle of the floor is when we've got a split comp floor, and the line of judges in the middle is the dividing line between the floors.  If they stood in the middle any other time, they'd limp off battered and bruised!

I believe the judges are a part of the floor - that is you have to dance round them, you don't have a right of way through them Undecided  DP once made one jump off the floor to save her life - I think she marked us down for months Undecided

Based on the many, many hours I've spent running scoresheets at comps and thus hanging out with the judges, I don't think they mind so much if you get a little close unintentionally--in fact, they try to stay as close as possible to the edge of the floor (or even slightly off the edge if there's room) to avoid just such things.  I do think they think it's a little shameless for a couple to stop right in front of them and dance some little combination 6" from their faces, though, where they can't see anybody else on the floor.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:58 AM »

yes we are learning to start fruther in from the floor to allow for judges room...but sometimes they actually stand in the middle. rather that the edge it is safer for them

Err...why?  Around here the only time the judges stand in the middle of the floor is when we've got a split comp floor, and the line of judges in the middle is the dividing line between the floors.  If they stood in the middle any other time, they'd limp off battered and bruised!
That is only for New Vouge and not Modern that would be taking life into your hand! Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »

..meanwhile erasing the national champion ....

well that would a great skill indeed. I might have to learn that in my spare time

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 07:08:18 AM »

Err...why?  Around here the only time the judges stand in the middle of the floor is when we've got a split comp floor, and the line of judges in the middle is the dividing line between the floors.  If they stood in the middle any other time, they'd limp off battered and bruised!

New Vogue - Everyone dances in a circle around the outside of the floor.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 08:55:42 AM »

Where I've seen it most often is with 30 or so juvenile latin couples on the floor - the judges milll around them as a way to see all at once..

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:27:38 AM »

Wow.  I've never heard of judges standing in the active floor area during a heat.  As MC said, if they tried that around here, they'd wind up as road kill.  (Floor kill?)
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »

I just love the supreme disinterest shown by judges to competitors who present right in front of them.  They put on a show and the judges feign disinterest even so far as to peer around the oversway/picturelines at couples dancing behind them...

It's a great show.  The judges always look so...judicial? Very classy and aloof....

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 05:58:32 PM »

Well (and again, this is based on my experience hanging out with the judges as a runner), it IS pretty rude of the competitors in question--they know good and well the judges only have a minute and a half to judge all the couples on the floor.  The judges generally only have 10 seconds to look at you.  Taking up their entire field of view and demanding that they look at you is, at best, showboating and at worst, downright arrogant.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »

Well (and again, this is based on my experience hanging out with the judges as a runner), it IS pretty rude of the competitors in question--they know good and well the judges only have a minute and a half to judge all the couples on the floor.  The judges generally only have 10 seconds to look at you.  Taking up their entire field of view and demanding that they look at you is, at best, showboating and at worst, downright arrogant.
its surely dangerous - because not only is the judge in front of you getting irritated, the others can hardly be oblivious to whats going on...

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 08:40:46 PM »

Hmmm showboating and downright arrogant...I can think of one or two dancers who fit the bill LOL!

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

Hmmm showboating and downright arrogant...I can think of one or two dancers who fit the bill LOL!

No doubt!  Don't we all! Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: