partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 06:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Competition stories
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Competition stories  (Read 1971 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 06, 2009, 02:40:32 AM »

Anything game - but I started this one because of the shoe thing at chicago.

I have two pairs of competition shoes.  Shoes A (supadance) are a little too large but comfortable (which is not something I experience much in any shoes).  Shoes B are too small but increadibly stable.  If I wear them for more than an hour my feet hurt for several days.  I opt for shoes A.

Chicago was 5 single dance followed by one heat and then the dancesport series C - thats all I was entered in.  So I go out in shoes A - and I'm really bad - I mean forgotten routine all over the place.  You are supposed to not show it but I was beyond that, upset, appologizing to pro and almost at the break down and cry stage.  Fortunately (very) the other couple dropped out (they had danced 10 in a row I think and were up again in the following heat) so we were uncontested and (in my opinion) the judges were kind.  So now I had a few minutes before the next heat.  What to do?

I decided to blame the shoes Smiley  Hey, I danced fine it was just the shoes that screwed up.  Why can't shoes remember routines anyway?  So I ripped them off (the straps have that STUPID buckle that hooks on to the strap, its supposed to be a time saver but the number of times its locked on the clasp or gone in one of the eyelet holes and made my shoe a permanent fixture.  Well this time I was having nothing of it and just yanked.  And put on the walking foot racks.

I went on the floor for the next heat a few seconds later - recharged and determined - having left my problems in my shoe bag.  And whats really funny is that it worked Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:29:12 AM »

DP and I had arranged to meet outside the comp hall 15 minuites before the doors open for the evening session at 6 since it was likely that our heat would be the first at 7 pm.  Oh, 'the best laid plans of mice and men'....

I got there 15 minutes earlier still, since my traffic is unpredictable, only to find that the hall was already open - they had decided to move everything earlier by 30 minutes.  Mixture of panic and frustration..... I rush to get changed and call DP to warn him (he's still not arrived) but his cell phone is off (its a skin-flint thing Undecided).  I get changed and then finally DP calls back.  turns out he is just half a mile away but he's stuck: in front of him is a stopped van encircled by dozens of police cars with police pointing their guns at the van.  'I don't think I am going to make it' he says, since there was no way to get out....

I talk to the comp organizers and point out that DP is probably not the only one stuck.  They were very nice about it and delayed the evening by 30 minutes (ironically to its original time).  Next call from DP: "they've brought in SWAT teams now we are up to semi-automatic rifles" and then as I was still on the phone he relates them pulling two men out of the van and handcuffing.  Turns out he was the first car stopped and video'd the event on his point-and shoot camera.  

He finally got to the comp with about 20 minutes to spare, and amazingly I was not even nervous.  I think it really helped that the organizers were calm and supportive.  We went out onto the dance floor to warm up, waltzing for about 10 minutes.  Soon after we started dancing I noticed that we were the only couple out and I realized two things: they had already cleared the floor for the starting procession - and they were leaving us be to catch up.  No one said anything, it was just one of the most gracious things that a competition has ever done for me.  Thinking now of our warm up, dancing with no one else on the floor but with everything ready for the competition, now gives me goose bumps.

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:39:24 AM »

Very cool ED.  But you should give name of competition on that second one (unless I just missed it in there).  Any organizers that were THAT helpful and understanding deserve support from all of us (though I expect it's not a comp I'd make it to often being in Canada Smiley )
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:45:41 AM »

Its the 'Ontario Amateur Dance Association' (OADA) own comp - they host two a year, the Ontario Open (yesterday) and the Ontario Closed (in Feb).  The latter is the official comp where dancers are selected to represent Ontario at the Nationals. 

(And Toronto is a lot closer to you than most comps in the US Wink - though I get the impression that we have less FA franchises)

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »

I have found OADA to be very accomodating and helpful and the events well run.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

Very nice comp organizer! thanks ee for mentioning. will keep this comp in mind:)

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
cshorte
Newcomer

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 12:58:55 PM »

i one time felt up a judge who got too close on the comp floor... i didn't know that sorta thing was off limits bc i was new plus when social dancing if you are in my space you bet ill be in yours Smiley
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 03:56:24 PM »

i one time felt up a judge who got too close on the comp floor... i didn't know that sorta thing was off limits bc i was new plus when social dancing if you are in my space you bet ill be in yours Smiley
Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

funny AND shocking. lol

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 05:39:42 PM »

OK so I'm at the recent comp this last weekend and the number 1 dancer in the country offered us some advice. To my partner they suggested various things, mostly to do with hair and makeup, to me:

"Lose the belly..."

hmmmm uh thanks. I think.

(I came home and threw out the ice cream. Ate the last of the chocolate though...) So ok now I'm trying to watch what I eat...

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »

"Lose the belly..."

I would've quoted a T-shirt I recently saw: "This is not a pot belly!  It's a fuel tank for a love machine!"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:38:04 PM »

OK so I'm at the recent comp this last weekend and the number 1 dancer in the country offered us some advice. To my partner they suggested various things, mostly to do with hair and makeup, to me:

"Lose the belly..."

(I came home and threw out the ice cream. Ate the last of the chocolate though...) So ok now I'm trying to watch what I eat...
#1 dancer in the country?  Intrigued as to who that was...

And you should feel honoured that such a person would be so direct with you...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:39:02 PM »

See CSN, we are not the only ones that care about you and your dancing (though I know I can be hard on you  Kiss).

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 06:06:12 AM »

I did not feel one up but I bonked one on the score sheet the were holding, they were standing around the edge and my arm went up and over and down onto the board...ooops kept smiling like nothing happened  Roll Eyes

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 06:43:15 AM »

I believe the judges are a part of the floor - that is you have to dance round them, you don't have a right of way through them Undecided  DP once made one jump off the floor to save her life - I think she marked us down for months Undecided

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 06:46:55 AM »

yes we are learning to start fruther in from the floor to allow for judges room...but sometimes they actually stand in the middle. rather that the edge it is safer for them

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: