partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:59:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116503 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  The (competetive) 'look'
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The (competetive) 'look'  (Read 2705 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: September 02, 2009, 03:08:59 AM »

The couples walk onto the floor and your eyes are drawn to one pair.  Your eyes stay on them as they start to dance.  They have 'the look'.

Some of it is what nature gave you and also how you took care of your body - but its clearly not all of it since one comp a couple does not have it but at the next they do.

What constitutes 'the look'?  And how does one get it and maintain it?  How much is it a feature of ballroom and how much is a fashion?  These are all issues for this topic.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:33:44 PM »

personally i dont think its typically a look, but rather a floor pressance, which in my opinion cannot be taught. I know i've seen this many times at competitions where even though couples may not be doing the exact correct technique, their pressance on the floor sort of overrules this. I can't account why it is stronger at times than others though, maybe due to preperation?

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:29:07 AM »

I believe that having a presence can also be learnt, we danced reasonably well on Sunday but a man that we dont know said that we did not look like winners because of how we walked onto the floor. We have to sell ourselves out there to say to the judges look at us. It is just as well we are not shy people and can exude that confidence, but it takes practice.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:54:27 AM »

personally i dont think its typically a look, but rather a floor pressance, which in my opinion cannot be taught. I know i've seen this many times at competitions where even though couples may not be doing the exact correct technique, their pressance on the floor sort of overrules this. I can't account why it is stronger at times than others though, maybe due to preperation?

Zac

I think genes are definitely a factor - but they are also not everything by a long shot.  There is a way of holding yourself that makes you look confident and competent - champions have it.  Of course sometimes it could be a chicken and egg thing (thats why they are champion) but I've seen people change as they are successful.  Sure hope it happens to me Smiley

Actually, I used to walk onto the floor looking like a mouse - which ast nearly 6 ft is quite an achievement Tongue - but now I think I have gained confidence for that - its a long way off championship but I think that at least I look like I'm where I should be.

ee

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 03:22:21 AM »

It is an art to learn “the look” and it is an even bigger art to teach it. It is almost like going to charm school. My teacher spend about 2 hours a week teaching me to present myself, show a presence and have a confident look. There are a lot of things involved in learning in learning it. It needs to be trained both from a mentally and physically aspect. Most champions have been trained to have it. When you have been in the business as long as I have, then you see the couples when they are beginners and definitely don’t have “the look”. As you see them move up the ranks, you also see them improve this aspect as one of the ways to improve the dancing. To be a world class is more then just closing the feet at the end of a natural turn. Having “the look” is diffidently something that a couple that is on the way up the ranks should pay attention to.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 03:33:56 AM »

Coach has been working on this with me to some extent but I would love to learn more.  One thing you can certainly do is to engage your core before you dance.  It really helps to make you look confident and calm.  Of course you have to combine that with relaxing the extermities - strength within and calmness without...

SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 05:24:10 AM »

Coach told me to get a haircut yesterday.  Cheesy
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »

Good point.  Thats one very easy way for guys to get a jump on the competition.  Short hair, in particularly at the nape, lengthens the neck incredibly. 
Good coach Smiley

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

There are definitely some things you can do to improve your presentation as you walk onto the floor.  I see way too many couples, including some who should know better, who slouch out onto the floor and then make a big show of getting into posture.  If I was a judge, I'd keep an eye on them to see if they maintain that posture during their dance.   Wink  You should always be in proper posture whenever you set foot on the floor. 

Flashy floor presentations seem to be on the way out.  I don't spin my partner when we enter the floor anymore; we just walk, arm in arm, to a position, and we take our places.  I think judges have decided that leads who make their follow do a triple spin crossing the floor are just making a cheap ploy for attention. 

Wandering around on the floor displays, to me, lack of confidence.  Yes, we leads always have the starting-place contest and we want a clear lane in front of us, and yes, everyone wants to be in front of a judge, but some of the chess games that I see are ridiculous.  Find a place; maybe slide over a bit if someone else lines up directly in front of you, and then deal with it.  (If I were a judge, I would make a point of marking down any couple who deliberately takes a place directly in front of another couple, but I've never heard a judge say that.)  I do know that a sure way to get marked down is to not be in place when the music begins. 

I also see couples who look confident as they're walking out, but once in place and waiting for the music, they have little nervous habits.  Don't play with your hair; don't wring your hands or bite your nails; don't keep looking around at other couples or the audience.  And don't try to fix your underwear.   Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »

great advice - specially the undewear part Cheesy  Itching is bad too Grin

MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »

(If I were a judge, I would make a point of marking down any couple who deliberately takes a place directly in front of another couple, but I've never heard a judge say that.)

Mention it to Hamilton next time you're up here.  Say it's something you've noticed and were wondering if it had any impact on judging.
ChocolateEclair
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:13:04 PM »

personally i dont think its typically a look, but rather a floor pressance, which in my opinion cannot be taught.

I agree with this to a certain extent, floor presence is a sort've natural charisma. Though, I do think part of the presence is confidence which can be developed. The shy beginner won't attract as much attention as the cocky, experienced competitor. Though, an exception may be made if the beginner is particularly hopeless... Cue: Reminiscent memories of my first lesson.  Roll Eyes

"I intend to work for this dance of the future. I do not know whether I have the necessary qualities; I may have neither genius nor talent nor temperament. But I know that I have a Will; and will and energy sometimes prove greater than either genius or talent or temperment."- Isadora Duncan
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2009, 11:21:29 PM »

Welcome CE!!!
I agree I think confidence has a lot to do with it.
I've been told that judges look for a certain 'persona' (not sure that's the right word) on the floor. And that they want to see it stay on the floor, in other words what happens on the floor stays on the floor.
ChocolateEclair
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »

Welcome CE!!!
Cheers.  Grin

I agree I think confidence has a lot to do with it.
I've been told that judges look for a certain 'persona' (not sure that's the right word) on the floor. And that they want to see it stay on the floor, in other words what happens on the floor stays on the floor.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. But I think the persona that the judges look for may be slightly different for each of them... One judge may be unable to take his off a certain couple, whereas another finds them unbearably arrogant. It's just like every couple has their own personality, thus having their own relationships with the judges. Some relationships are good and some relationships aren't so good.

"I intend to work for this dance of the future. I do not know whether I have the necessary qualities; I may have neither genius nor talent nor temperament. But I know that I have a Will; and will and energy sometimes prove greater than either genius or talent or temperment."- Isadora Duncan
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 01:24:50 AM »

Welcome CE to PDO we hope you enjoy, there are several Aussies here and we do have our Own Board relating to some of the issues relating to our part of the world. Will you be participating at the South Pacific's, we are going next year, this year we went to Canberra. Look forward to learning more about you.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: