partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 10:05:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116442 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  What do you do when your DP is injured?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: What do you do when your DP is injured?  (Read 3043 times)
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« on: August 28, 2009, 10:43:18 PM »

I have now gone several weeks with very little dancing. I love my DP, he's also my life partner, but I love dancing too. I have several platonic male friends who I know would step up to the plate to practice and/or take some lessons with me until my DP is back on his feet. I'm so tempted, but don't want to hurt any feelings and I would feel disloyal.

Seriously, I've actually felt slightly depressed these last few weeks and I know it's from not dancing. I've been doing some solo practice, but it's just not the same. I've also been doing some AT lessons since no partner required, but I'm now at the level where it's just not working in the lessons; not enough males to go around and it's a waste of an hour, quite frankly.

Gah.

Thanks for listening.
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 12:32:57 AM »

I would feel sad. I don't know whether I'd go find another practise partner. Probably not, because it's just not the same.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 02:01:03 AM »

Hope that he gets better quickly. Use the time to work on the things that you dont do well. We can all improve on something.... and perhaps he can come along and encourage you :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 08:48:52 AM »

I have now gone several weeks with very little dancing. I love my DP, he's also my life partner, but I love dancing too. I have several platonic male friends who I know would step up to the plate to practice and/or take some lessons with me until my DP is back on his feet. I'm so tempted, but don't want to hurt any feelings and I would feel disloyal.

Seriously, I've actually felt slightly depressed these last few weeks and I know it's from not dancing. I've been doing some solo practice, but it's just not the same. I've also been doing some AT lessons since no partner required, but I'm now at the level where it's just not working in the lessons; not enough males to go around and it's a waste of an hour, quite frankly.

Gah.

Thanks for listening.

Don't just go and find a practise partner.

Do talk to him.  I think you will find that he feels as bad about stopping you dancing as you do.  If your partnership is secure - that is you love to dance together, he should not be threatened by you daincing with other men.  In fact, that is one of the best ways to improve as it teaches you to know what you are doing as appart from knowing what your partner is doing Wink

I have been going through exactly the same thing (DP has been out for 4 weeks with an injury) but I am lucky in having a convenient alternative - I also dance pro/am and have recently shifted to a new pro - so there is much work to do there.

BTW, I'm going to hvae my first (gentle) practise with DP tomorrow Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »

My dance partner is injured with a hip flexor pull, so she's out for a while.

In the interim I have two other practice partners I use to keep up my practice and improving.

My philosophy is this: as long as we're having fun, treating each other right, everyone gets to do what they want. But I'm single so it's different situation. My dance partners all have boyfriends and this has worked out quite well for me. Two of them basically have freedom in their relationships to do what they want. One the boyfriend is a social dancer and not interested in improving, so he's actually quite happy I'm there for her to dance with.  We even go out together as he also has a dance partner, at his level and they get along well so everyone is happy.

My other partner's b'friend is out of the country and here every other weekend. She hasn't told him she's dancing with me or will compete with me.  She fears he will end their relationship, yet she loves to dance (she's very good) and wants both to improve and compete, so we're a good fit that way. We dance very well together. I don't really judge their relationship but don't really understand someone not allowing their partner to do what they love or enjoy. I see that as a bit insecure.  That being said I'm sure there are some circumstances where these situations end up with someone leaving their life partner for their dance partner, so who's to say?To each their own.

I'm just happy I have choices and know that I grow and improve with these lovely lady dances. I am blessed to have them in my life and share our love of dancing together.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

My DP walked into a wall on Saturday, I laughed!  Roll Eyes
She limped half the lesson, I laughed half the lesson.
Showed me her bruise the next day, I laughed!

Ain't I a good partner!  Grin

But really...we cut back on the dancing cause it was hurting her leg, drove to her BF's house and the lot of us sat around a bonfire and had BBQ.  Smiley
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:04 PM »

Ooh, BBQ...

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 11:32:42 PM »

My DW is about to have foot surgery and won't be dancing for several months.   Cry
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 05:47:54 AM »

ouch.  sorry to hear that - but does it mean dancing will be easier when she recovers?

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 05:10:44 PM »

ouch.  sorry to hear that - but does it mean dancing will be easier when she recovers?

Should be.  She has a bunion that has made it difficult for her to wear shoes properly.
samina
Silver

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 05:24:28 PM »

are you going to jack up the solo lessons while she's recuperating, cornutt? i know someone locally whose wife broke her foot and he did just that... was very good for his dancing. now she's back on the floor and they are having a great time together again. but she was down for the count for quite some time.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »

are you going to jack up the solo lessons while she's recuperating, cornutt?

We've just come out of a period where we were taking separate lessons.  I'm not sure I want to go back to that right now; I kind of feel like it's a bit tapped out, at least until I gain more experience.  I'm toying with the idea of asking another lady to partner with me temporarily.  She's a great dancer and I've enjoyed dancing with her before; we actually did a comp together once during another period when my DW was on injured reserve.  Last year this lady ran into financial problems and had to cut back her dancing.  I'm willing to take lessons with her and cover most of the cost -- I'm paying for the lessons anyway, whether I do them solo or with a partner, so it's no skin off my nose.  However, I know she won't accept if it seems like it's charity, so I'll ask her to throw in just a few bucks, like $10 per lesson, and I'll cover the rest.
samina
Silver

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 06:29:08 PM »

sounds like a good plan, cornutt. could be fun!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 06:42:32 PM »

I wonder how many women here wish they lived closer Cheesy

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:57:00 PM »

Your a gentleman and a scholar.  Hope all works out and you have a good time and enjoy the experience, you deserve it.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: