partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 09:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116483 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Blackpool 2010
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Blackpool 2010  (Read 4460 times)
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 11:47:12 AM »

I see packages mentioned on BP's site for $2300/person.  Hopefully I can find something ab it cheaper or that's not likely to happen.  :/
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »

280GBP for hotel for all week.  Flight as low as 465 USD with one stop (only 65 minutes), or 829 direct. 

Now, those are just rough numbers, first hotel I found on blackpool's website for 28th-4th, and flight from Chicago to London on same dates.  Now, since a lot of those cheap fligths are overnight, means you'd not actually get there until 29th.  So as I said, rough numbers.  There's train service from London, and believe there are other options.  Certainly a lot cheaper than the package, at first glance, though not sure what all was included in the package.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »

I need to apply for a passport before I think about leaving the country.  Roll Eyes

You should go ahead and do it; now's the time, when you don't have any immediate plans.  It can take several months.  Once you get it, it's good for ten years.

10 years?!  Yeesh, the Canadian ones are only good for five.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 12:04:35 PM »

When I went this year, I flew overnight and it worked out so well for me.  Then again, I have no problem sleeping on a plane (it's a well-earned skill) so I got a good, solid 8 hours of sleep.  I highly recommend it if you're able to sleep on a plane.

As for places to stay, we booked the Hilton, which is a decent walk away from the venue (15-20 mins) but we were staying on points, so I wasn't complaining.  There are a ton of little seaside motels and B&Bs around, that might be worth looking into as well.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 12:05:59 PM »

I'd definitely concur with Medira on this one.  Fly overnight, take half a tab of dramamine to help you sleep and deal with any air sickness.  works great.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:13:22 PM »

I need to apply for a passport before I think about leaving the country.  Roll Eyes

one day. one day
nah, you can leave - you just can't come back...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 03:18:09 PM »

That means I can't travel by air during that time, which doesn't work for my current schedule.

Not even within the country?  You don't have to have a passport to travel inside the country, just an ID.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 03:27:29 PM »

You will always loose a day when flying to Europe (from the west coast 10-12 hours, from the east cast about 8 hours). Depending how well you sleep on a plane, you can choose a flight that arrives early in the morning (giving you the whole day to shop Wink) or arriving later giving you time for dinner and then go to bed. I like arriving early into London then going shopping in M&S and Boots. So I spend one or two days in London shopping and enjoying my time relaxing before going up to Blackpool for a stressful week.

I normally then either fly to Manchester and rent a car or drive up from London. I like having a car so that I am able to get around.

The train is a real hassle, if you have any amount of luggage with you. You have to change train in Preston, carrying the luggage from one platform down the stairs, then up the stairs onto the other platform. I only took the train once and swore never ever to that torture to myself again. The second time I did the train ride was from Blackpool back to London but without any luggage so that was easy. It did however take the same time as it took to drive the distance.

I guess after making the trip every year since 1985 it has become very much of a routine.  Tongue

If any of you have questions feel free to PM me. I will be glad to help.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »

I suspect Blackpool won't happen until at least 2011 for me.  Right now my goal is jsut to keep adding more comps every year.  This year will be 11 or 12 that I attend or compete in.  Next year I'll just shoot for 12 or 13, and so on.  Hopefully next year i can do OSB and USDC (well, still a slight chance of that this year, but I doubt it will happen).
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

That means I can't travel by air during that time, which doesn't work for my current schedule.

Not even within the country?  You don't have to have a passport to travel inside the country, just an ID.
Because I'm Canadian on a TN work visa, I need to show my passport, since that's the only form of ID that US Customs and Immigration will accept.

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 04:22:42 PM »

You will always loose a day when flying to Europe (from the west coast 10-12 hours, from the east cast about 8 hours). Depending how well you sleep on a plane, you can choose a flight that arrives early in the morning (giving you the whole day to shop Wink) or arriving later giving you time for dinner and then go to bed. I like arriving early into London then going shopping in M&S and Boots. So I spend one or two days in London shopping and enjoying my time relaxing before going up to Blackpool for a stressful week.

I normally then either fly to Manchester and rent a car or drive up from London. I like having a car so that I am able to get around.

The train is a real hassle, if you have any amount of luggage with you. You have to change train in Preston, carrying the luggage from one platform down the stairs, then up the stairs onto the other platform. I only took the train once and swore never ever to that torture to myself again. The second time I did the train ride was from Blackpool back to London but without any luggage so that was easy. It did however take the same time as it took to drive the distance.

I guess after making the trip every year since 1985 it has become very much of a routine.  Tongue

If any of you have questions feel free to PM me. I will be glad to help.

DSV
This year, we flew from Paris to Manchester and picked up J's car there.  It worked out REALLY well, especially because we had a day trip to Edinburgh in the middle as well.  I can't imagine having to to a long haul like that by train, especially because airfare is so cheap over there.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »

Is it too late for tickets?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 07:14:28 PM »

Is it too late for tickets?

The tickets forms are send out in June and the application are to be send in and paid for in July. Now that is for seats. I am sure you will still be able to get tickets without seats even now.

DSV

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »

thanks dsv.... I looked for the foms in june but could not find any - the links did not work on the blackpool web page.  Do you have to get on a mailing list?

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 09:05:16 PM »

thanks dsv.... I looked for the foms in june but could not find any - the links did not work on the blackpool web page.  Do you have to get on a mailing list?

I was going before it became computerized so I have been on the mailing list for a long time. So I would say yes, you have to be on the mailing list to get the ticket application send to you.

DSV

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: