partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:25:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Social Dancing Sunday in Melbourne - Anyone knows where ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Social Dancing Sunday in Melbourne - Anyone knows where ?  (Read 4778 times)
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2009, 06:34:46 PM »

LOL I think we all can be a little bit biased when it comes to thinking which coach/studio is the best!  Cheesy Why don't you go to some of the studio and speak to the owners.
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 09:35:56 PM »

If you dont mind me asking where do you train SW ?

I will of course speak to the owner but nice to have some opinions beforehand Smiley
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

In terms of trying to find a potential competition partner i think the best thing for you to do is to just go to as many socials as possible, most studios only have a couple of competition males who are usually taken, but you might get lucky Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:24 PM »

I'll be biased here Tongue  but I'll recommend Mark Wilson for Modern and Julie Jones for Latin.
I've only just started going to Jamm Dance Centre but I really like the atmosphere there. Mark is nearly always there and he is really really friendly. He is currently renting out two halls one in Boronia and one in Greensborough but is setting up a new studio in Forest Hill. It should be operational soon.
He also knows nearly everyone there is to know in the Australian dancesport scene. He is currently helping me look for a dance partner.  Cheesy (hopefully find one soon!)
As for Julie Jones, everyone who knows her or has taken lessons from her will tell you she is an awesome coach (and dancer!!!) and she really is. She coaches at YDance in Thornbury.
I've also heard that Granada in Malvern has a few good coaches. I don't really know much about the Star coaches.
Good Luck!!!!!!
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »

Thanks bookworm !

You have been really helpful .... I will see if I can get some lesson from Mark.

I have met him a few times as a judge and I really really like him.

He come across as really friendly person.

Do you know what time is the advanced modern/new vogue class is at JAMM ?

Thanks !

R u a girl or a boy ?

Good luck on your partner search !

I know it can be frustrating.

I have been feeling a bit down since breaking up with my partner.

Thing is  I go from 15 hours + of dancing to almost nothing.

It is very very hard for me to sit home and watch competitions go by when I know I can do pretty good in them if I have a decent partner.

Not dancing is very very hard for me as since I have been back into competition I almost have no other personal life.

Also it is very hard to keep positive and believe that I will find another person to dance with eventually.

To make matter worse, I bought 2 new dresses for latin and modern for the Aussie and now I am not going to dance at all. (Well unless miracle happens.... which I am not really counting on atm !)

I have to stop myself from packing away everything in a space bag !
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 11:28:38 PM »

I don't like mark too much, at competitions he comes off as quite pompous, though have never actually met him in person. I tke lessons from Json beamn and brent olifent who i find are fantastic people nd i learn an immense amount every lesson, they teach at both marshere furntree gully and mornington. You need to find someone who you get a long well with and who understand the way you learn, good luck with your search.

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 11:35:11 PM »

No probs dgd!!
I don't know what time the class is but I can find out tonight, have a lesson at Jamm in the evening.
I'm a girl  Cheesy
I completely understand how you feel. I also have no other life apart from dancing. I'm not at Uni and currently not working (want to become a dance teacher, currently working on my cv which I should get back to Roll Eyes). So apart from dancing I practically don't leave the house. Am soooo pale with a vitamin D deficiency, need more sun Tongue
I would definitively suggest going to dance socials, speaking of which I'll be at the star social tomorrow(Tuesday) evening if you want to join me.

You need to find someone who you get a long well with and who understand the way you learn, good luck with your search.
Totally agree with this. Although I really like Mark Tongue
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:56 AM »

Maybe Mark is a lot more nicer in person rather than on TV ?

He really is very nice in person .... not pompous at all !

BW, what class r u going to be in ?

I may pop in tomorrow LOL !

Thing is I say a lot of things in the forum that I probably dont want the whole dance community to know about !

So sort of want to remain anonymous that way .....

Even though the thought of meeting you is quite tempting as I dont have to stress so much going to a social as a lone stranger !

What is the dress code there at Star ?

Practice skirt and nice top ?
ZPomeroy
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 12:30:40 AM »

[edited by ee
sorry z but this was just a bit too much of a personal critisism for an open forum
I hope you understand]

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:14:23 AM by elisedance » Logged

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 12:41:10 AM »

Not sure I'll go to class, I'm thinking of just going to the social, although I might go for the advanced class, I'll see how I feel tomorrow.
The dress code is very casual. I usually wear a nice skirt/dance pants but occasionally I even wear jeans.

Thing is I say a lot of things in the forum that I probably dont want the whole dance community to know about !

So sort of want to remain anonymous that way .....

You're always welcome to pm me  Smiley
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 01:48:15 AM »

I'll be at Star tomorro as well!
Hmm...how would we know who you are DGD? Secret hand signal?  Roll Eyes Grin
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 01:54:27 AM »

what fun - a real masquerade ball!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 04:38:00 AM »

I don't like mark too much, at competitions he comes off as quite pompous, though have never actually met him in person. I tke lessons from Jason beaman and brent olifent who i find are fantastic people nd i learn an immense amount every lesson, they teach at both marshere furntree gully and mornington. You need to find someone who you get a long well with and who understand the way you learn, good luck with your search.

Zac

Oh I have had a different experience with Mark. I found him most charming and very knowledgeable and willing to share, he is very passionate about the sport. You are right you need to find a teacher who you respect and enjoy their style of teaching.....I would like to try lessons from all the person mentioned above....when I am in Melbourne next I will need to be more organised.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 05:51:15 PM »

BW/SW, If I meet you up at Star will you keep my identity anonymous on the forum and dancing circle ?

How did you two know each other anyway ?

BW, I have been trying to get lesson from Mark but I can't get through to him.

When I called him, there was this lady picking up the phone and asking me for my number to pass on to Mark.

However, he did not call me back.

Do you know how I can get to him ?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »

Go up to him and give him a kiss on the cheek.  I find it works a charm ...

oops.  I was supposed to be snooping on this conversation.

Embarrassed  please don't mind me Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: