partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 07:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Social dancin' (Moderators: QPO, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Social Dancing Sunday in Melbourne - Anyone knows where ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Social Dancing Sunday in Melbourne - Anyone knows where ?  (Read 4798 times)
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« on: August 24, 2009, 10:12:33 PM »

Hi,

We are looiking to go out on Sunday to social dance.

Does anyone know where in Melbourne there is Sunday social dance ?

Thanks !
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 03:19:15 AM »

Apparently not Undecided  We have a tea dance here if you don't mind the comute... Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 03:54:26 AM »

Hmmm, don't know.
On Fridays I've been going to Star Studios and I know on Saturdays there is a social at the Ritz but for Sundays, no idea  Sad
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:28:14 AM »

will be glad to have a listing of dances for the Melbourne area....as when we visit there we know where we can go dancing

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »

Hey,

How was the social at Star & Ritz ?

Were there a lot of competitive dancers or mainly social dancers ?

Were the environment friendly ?

I am interested in going to those 2 but a bit intimidated going to a new place by myself...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 04:54:30 AM »

oo I think that SW can help you with that or Zac, oh and bookworm....I know where the Ritz is and it has a great floor but I have not been there for dancing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:37 AM »

Hey dgd! Are you currently in Melbourne?

I've been going to Star for the last month or so and I really enjoy it. Was initially invited to go by SW  Cheesy
There is a good mixture of people there, both social and competitive dancers. All sorts of people of varying dancing standard go there, from complete beginners to level 4/5/open competitiors. Also a good mixture of ages, from very young (I've seen a ten? year old there) to more mature people. And everyone is very nice!!! I really enjoy going there. Mostly go on a Tues although sometimes on a Friday. It gets quite crowded on Fridays which is why I prefer the Tuesdays.

I haven't been to the Ritz but have heard a bit about it, actually mostly bad stuff that's why I haven't gone yet but would like to one day.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 12:40:07 PM »

Hey!

Yea I'm at Star studios on friday nights! Been going there for 3 years now! It's great! Like BW mentioned, there's a really good mix of people, from young to old, from beginner to L5 competitors (some of the retired Pros also jump in and have a bash)

If you like an older crowd, Ritz is old.  Roll Eyes Tongue Well that's my reason for not going, but that may as well be the same reason for people who prefer Ritz.  Roll Eyes

P.S BW, you have to come to my studio sometimes!  Cheesy Or when Mark opens his new place, we can visit together! DP's BF learns from Mark, so she'll come too!
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 07:36:07 PM »

Hey thanks I might pop in to Star sometimes soon !

Will it be too intimidating if I come by myself ?

Do people mix there or mainly dance with their own partner ?

Do you dance at Star SW ?

What do you think of the level of coaching there ?

When will Mark open his new place ?

I would like to learn from him one day ....

I like to take coaching from a range of different people sometimes.

It's interesting!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:56:11 PM by dancingirldancing » Logged
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 08:03:59 PM »

That could depend on a number of factors, such as whether you are used to going to socials by yourself, how open are you to asking people for a dance, how open are you to dancing with people of different age or ability. Sometimes I see people walk in the door and fit right in, other times they sit there clearly intimidated by everyone else who knew eachother etc etc

Do people mix there or mainly dance with their own partner ?
Some people mix, others have certain preference for partner for particular dances.

Do you dance at Star SW ?
I dance there socially. Maybe tonight.  Roll Eyes

What do you think of the level of coaching there ?
Like any other studio, some good, some not so good.

When will Mark open his new place ?
Mark is NOT at Star. He's just laid down the new floor at the new studio. Not far away. I'm sure he'll let me know when his new studio opens!
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 10:02:48 PM »

Yes I know Mark is not at Star.

Sorry for being unclear !

Let me know when his studio opens though !

I would like to try it out.
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »

P.S BW, you have to come to my studio sometimes!  Cheesy Or when Mark opens his new place, we can visit together! DP's BF learns from Mark, so she'll come too!

Hey SW let me know when the next social is at Sway!!

I don't think so. I would suggest going for one of the classes before the social. That way you'll at least kind of know some people and will be able to dance with them. That's what I did for a while. Before my first few socials at Star I went to some of the classes and actually ended up befriending a lot of the people there.
If you ever plan on going let me know, I'll happily join you and I'm sure SW will as well.  Smiley
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 12:21:41 AM »

Hey BW, which class at Star did you go to ?

Was it good ?
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 12:37:13 AM »

I've done the intermediate classes and some of the new vogue as well. It depends on what they are teaching on a particular day.
The intermediate class is usually split into half an hour of latin and half an hour of either a new vogue or ballroom.
As to if it was good, well overall I would say yes. The teachers are really nice and know what they are doing. The only issue for me was that I think I should be doing the advanced class. In the intermediate they mostly focus on learning new steps and what I want to be doing is focusing on technique.
The new vogue class is a mixture of learning a dance then going over the technique for it.
Check out the star website. (starstudios.com.au) They list what they are doing for the particular week, under the 'social program'.
Hope this helps!!
dancingirldancing
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2009, 06:23:08 PM »

BW/SW,

Do you know who are the good competition coaches at Star ?

Is Star good for competition training ?

Can you guys recommend some other studios that are great for competition training as well ? I mean including good coaches and good for scouting potential partner Smiley

I know I digress but well since you guys are around and probably knows a lot more than I do ....
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: