partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 08:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Advanced pro-am - do they have progress-added value?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Advanced pro-am - do they have progress-added value?  (Read 4862 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 04:05:05 PM »

AhA! So I did gotcha! Grin

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 01:10:46 AM »

Just my .02 here:

I will go and see a particular pro (MC and Emmy know who) with one of his students, just because I like him and I am in awe of the student.  I would see them together any time, any where, and I don't know either of them.  The student represents to me what I'd like to be someday.  So, not only will I go to see people I know, I have sat through entire days at OSB just to see dancing and "test" myself to see if I am seeing the technique of the dancers. 

Not sure if this adds or detracts to the conversation.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2009, 01:36:25 AM »

Definitely adds - indeed, thats the whole point.  Seeing other pro/AMers who have achieved excellence and are competing at the highest levels is, at least for me, very inspiring and pushes me to try harder.  Once I've seen a couple a few times I start to look out for them and then I am hooked...

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

There definitely is added value, and there are a few pros that recognize this and give heavy discounts to their "star" students because of the exposure and "advertising" the pro gets.

Hmmmm..... That sounds interseting! I've never heard of it. Hopefully a lot of pros realized that is beneficial for them instead of being busy to charge their students.
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2010, 12:35:39 PM »

Uphill battle here eh? 

Marketing?  someone like Sam S.  He's basically made OSB one of the top comps in NA on pro/am (at least its a very large factor) - thats what brings in the large audience for his events and vendors (in addition to money of course).  I can't help but have the feeling at OSB that the pro/am events are really there to make the 'real' ones possible.  He just has to take the step of recognizing the elite pro/am dancers themselves (no, one evening courtesy dance does not cut it) to make them a real part of the comp. 

Agree! Organizers could invite top proams to the events.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »

I can see I'm going to like having you here DGD Smiley

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »

I think Elise is right... I go see my favorite (high level) proam's if the competition is close by, even when im not competing and I don't know them personally.... I like to see what other dancers are doing and how they do at competition.... you can learn a lot from watching other people.. (lol, even if it's what NOT to do..). Pro/Am Smooth is AWESOME! Cheesy

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »

So my question is if you went to competition and you watched this proam couple dancing really well and placed well, and you were looking for a new pro teacher. Would you consider this pro as a new teacher?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2010, 06:15:32 AM »

So my question is if you went to competition and you watched this proam couple dancing really well and placed well, and you were looking for a new pro teacher. Would you consider this pro as a new teacher?

Absolutely.  Don't forget, its your money and you get to use it as you see fit. 

Of course I would check into the guy a bit - see how he treats his students, if he is already over-committed and what his pricing (and more important price-honesty)  is like.

However, what I did was to find the young guy that is trying to make it on the pro dance scene - and is the right height range for me.  Each competitor gets to the point where they want to find strong pro-ams with whom they can compete.  Whats fantastic about that is they can't stop dancing all out and start to force you to dance like their partners.  Its a heck of a ride, but you learn so fast.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2010, 11:18:36 AM »

If I were in the market for one, I definitely would at list add him to the list of potential candidates. So a good student definitely enhances pro's resume, so to speak.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 01:46:02 PM »

If I were in the market for one, I definitely would at list add him to the list of potential candidates. So a good student definitely enhances pro's resume, so to speak.

Didn't we discussed this before ... mmm...

dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »

Maybe......but we need to revisit and repeat again, again, again...... Tongue
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »

Oh, I agree, I don't think pro-ams are valued for the benefit the pros get at all.

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2010, 03:59:26 PM »

Yes, we did, but like I said, if someone happens to be a resume-enhancing item for someone else, that's between them to work out the details.

Also, one thing to consider - if a teacher has multiple competing students, he and the more visible student may have to be discrete about how they handle this sort of thing. Otherwise, if it's public (i.e. he's openly giving student A a price break on competition fees because she's his "resume enhancer") his other students might be unhappy about it.

And another thing - it might not necessarily be the highest-level student that brings the pro most of new business. It might as well be his bronze lady who was seen by other bronze ladies looking for a new pro. Maybe even more likely so.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:33:43 PM by ttd » Logged
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »

Hmmm.....of course. It does not to be an advanced pro-am student. If I was a bronze level student, I would take a good look at a pro who has a very nice student in my level.

Also, I doubt that a pro gives a discount to a certain student openly. If someone does, I guess, that mean the person has no business skills at all.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:59:34 PM by dlgodud » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: