partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 12:52:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116438 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Pro-Am (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Make suggestions to you pro about Choreography  (Read 3950 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2010, 04:46:13 PM »

If you don't like the choreo, how are you going to dance it well?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
dlgodud
Open Bronze

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »

Correct. So we need to negotiate with our teachers I think. I don't think one person's opinion is correct on every occasion.
tendancegirl
Newcomer

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2011, 03:26:17 PM »

I would have to say it depends on several things. First, on the level of the students making the suggestions. Second,How secure is the pro about accepting them? Third, What backgrounds do both individuals bring to the table? Though I have never taught,I have done a number of open showcases where it has given me a chance to grow as a dancer. If the student is new,they may need to sit back & see what the pro is offering up before making any suggestions. In Europe & other places,a pro would be terribly insulted if a student made ANY kind of suggestion. Especially true if you have a teacher of teachers. In the US, it is a little more open, but again depends on the level of the student or teacher. Some teachers are just moments ahead of their students, or so I have been told by my very experienced dance coach. With him, I don't make suggestions b/c of his credentials. (He has taken ppl to World Championships,I have not)
 In the case of my competitive pro, he is younger & completely open to different suggestions & we openly debate them. My only issue is when his (inexperienced) partner gets involved in my choreography or wardrobe choices, then it is an issue. She has only been a pro for 2 years & he has much more experience. If she thinks my costume is "too revealing", then I am not happy b/c we are built differently. He worries about "wardrobe malfunctions" where I know what flash tape is & how to use it. I am not busty (she is),so that will never be a problem. If I showed too much shoulder she would say it is revealing  Roll Eyes.. anyway, in terms of choreography, seems that if his pro partner can't do it, then I can't. Really?? Again we are built differently with different levels of flexibility. That should not be an issue. Making suggestions to my competitive pro about choreography is not really a problem, having a third party who was not invited (by me) is.    Undecided
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 05:12:19 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up again.  I have always discussed everything with my pro, whether in pro-am or am - but perhaps none of them were quite as accomplished and also experienced as the individual you are referring to.  Still, I think the dialogue should be open because we surely have some rights to personalize our dancing. 

OTOH with my very new coach I don't really care at all what he is dancing, most of the time I don't even know - its not my business.  Mine is to respond, which is none of his!!

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2011, 05:31:50 PM »

In Europe & other places,a pro would be terribly insulted if a student made ANY kind of suggestion. Especially true if you have a teacher of teachers. In the US, it is a little more open, but again depends on the level of the student or teacher.

Welcome tendancegirl!

Sorry,  I have to disagree with your post…

My sister and I were both trained in England.  I must say that I never heard of any teacher in England being upset about a student giving input about the choreography.  I would guess it is more teachers that either have a fragile ego or are not educated enough to hear an input and work something out from the input.   My teacher would always give us some options and tell us that anything and everything could be changed if we didn’t like it.  He told us to just let him know and he would come up with something else. He also encouraged us to come up with our own stuff and then he would look at it and see if it would work for either a show or in a competition setting.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2011, 04:10:33 AM »

Well on my limited experience with different coaches mine have always valued our input, but I am sure there are some coaches out there that don't like to have feedback from students.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
tendancegirl
Newcomer

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2012, 10:12:10 PM »

Hi DSV,
  So glad you gave me some insight on that. I have had one pro-who trained in England and he felt the girls "knew nothing" & was extremely resistant to any suggestions on the most minute of Choreography changes.Though I have danced for years, I have not done ballroom for years. At the time,I grinned & bore it until I could move up levels. I have had some experience in show dances & choreography,so saw nothing wrong in making suggestions.After three years he is now my ex-pro partner as of three months ago. He called the other day for me to compete with him in spite of the fact that I had accepted other dancing opportunities and told him so. (apparently his new pro partner wasn't working out for him)  I cannot bring myself to work with him ever again.. there are reasons other than that,don't really need to elaborate.  Sad Cry  Lips sealed
  Working with the current pro now,he is aware I want to go pro in the future and (was my former pro) actually encourages me to make suggestions & input to the choreography.What a breath of fresh air! Learning new choreography is great as long as both parties are enjoying the creative process. Especially since I am getting ready for Open level and we have all 10 dances to prepare. We have 3 done so far & can tweak two more of them by adding some elements since I like the basic routines.  I am more of a hard-core Latin girl & he is a Standard guy so we defer to each other's strengths in the process.. My only issue is like QPO, don't want my routine to be the same as his pro partner since she & I do different styles. I find Latin really goes back to the elements even in Open routines & they do Rhythm dancing together.Nothing wrong, just different styles. If I do choreography with bent legs like Rhythm, I won't get callbacks since Latin calls for more of a straight leg. Sooo, got to watchdog that with him. Fortunately, he is a fast learner and a joy to work with.  I have to ask for something unique & different so we get callbacks.. this is significant for both of us since I am his only 10-dance & Open girl. He has wanted work with me for over a year, but I had been working with the other pro at the time. We are hoping by competing on this level that I find a prospective pro guy who wants to do pro-pro competition with me at some point in the future.  Smiley Keeping finger crossed...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2012, 01:21:15 AM »

Good luck. 

Nice to have another ten dancer around.  Smiley

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2012, 03:22:08 AM »

Good luck. 

Nice to have another ten dancer around.  Smiley
Hey, I'ma ten dancer - its just that 5 are at championship and the other 5 at bronze Cheesy Tongue

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »

Good luck tendancegirl

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: