partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 12:19:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116499 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  Fred Astaire System of teaching
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Fred Astaire System of teaching  (Read 3070 times)
malakawa
Open Bronze

« on: August 17, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »

EE asked a question on which I will gladly answer.

wait a mo, are you guys talking steps as in 'the book' steps - natural turn' three step; fall away reverse etc or 'step' as in FADS - a sequence of 10 such steps...  just trying ot understand the conversation....

Fred Astaire & Arthur Murray system of teaching is very similar. We have different programs for students that comes in the studio. There is a lots of criteria that we use to match the program with the person/couple. (abilities, goals .......)

We have Beginner program, Social Foundation, Advanced foundation, Social Bronze, Advanced Bronze, Dancesport Bronze, Social Silver, Dancesport silver, Gold.

In each of this programs there are steps that you are learning. Most of our students are social dancers, some of them wants to be awesome, someone just want couple of basic steps.

There is a program for everyone. In each program there is also a number of steps that you teach a student.  Wink

Any more questions?

Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.

It takes an athlete to dance, but an artist to be a dancer.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:54:52 PM »

The social and advanced bronze syllabi are the more social ones.  IE, a good lead can take a follow though almost all the steps.  The dancesport bronze syllabus has a lot more open patterns that really require both partners to know pattern.  Or visual leads. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 05:10:33 AM »

Yes I would love to know how each of the program works.  I mean what is in each and do you have to work through all of them or can you take a different branch.  Thus if someone wants to become a good social dancer will they learn a different combination of programs from someone else that wants to do dancesport?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:07:14 AM »

She's the teacher, not me, so I"ll make malakawa answer.  Wink  Then just add anything we do differnetly up here.  I'm certainly not a normal student as in how much I know about what goes on in our region, but still don't have the day to day exposure to it that malakawa does.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 12:08:10 PM »

Yeah, we're certainly not restricted to just the syllabus.  As I said, I'm working through the advanced bronze syllabus, but I've done most of the social bronze steps at one time or another, and also several of the dancesport steps.

Each syllabus (at least the advanced and dancesport ones.  Social syllabus is similar, but maybe slightly different), are also broken up into sections.

Beginner = Patterns 1 and 2
Intermediate = patterns 3-5 (or 1-5, depending on how you want to look at it)
Advanced = patterns 6-8 (1-8)
Full bronze = patterns 9-10 (1-10).

These divisions are used during competitions to help keep studnets from having to compete against students much better, or worse, than them.  We also use them at our studio to split up the groups.  Because pros use the same splits as a rough idea of how deeply they'll go into technique with a student (though if you're willing to suffer, they'll teach you all the technique you can fit in your head Wink ), these splits are useful for group lessons.  Even if a particular pro has never taught some of the students in that group, they know that an advanced bronze student will have their knowledge of rise and fall, or cuban motion, or proper promenade frame, etc, at a certian level.  Helps their be a more equal footing for teaching, not just competing.  That makes it easier on both the students and the teachers.

Advanced Bronze American syllabus currently contains:
Waltz
Tango
Foxtrot
Viennese Waltz
Paso Doble (Yes, american paso Wink )
Rumba
Chacha
Mambo
ECS
WCS
Samba
Merengue
Hustle (I think, I don't dance it)
Salsa (this is most recent addition, so not all of the studios have the paperwork and videos for it yet).
Argentine Tango

Think that's all of them off top of my head.  I only dance 7 of them regularly and as part of my "program.".  So compete and only have to  test out of those as I test each level of bronze, though I will at least dabble in the others.  Ah, which is another point.  The testing.  As you go from each of those levels mentioned before, you "test out" of the previous level.  A pro am student will do each dance with their pro, and then one or two steps (believe I did just step 2 for beginner test, and steps 3 and 5 for intermediate test) by themselves.  They are given a proficiency style score, 1-100, and also detailed feedback.  When we do them at studio, generally onely have one or two students at a time testing, so tester will go over the results and work with the student on some of the things they noticed need to be fixed.
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 11:09:34 PM »

It definitely varies from studio to studio.  My first year of dancing was actually at a FADS in Charleston, SC (another one of the good ones, currently owned by a fantastic Ukranian couple), and I still go back there to visit when I'm in town.  That studio :

• Is quite heavy in salsa, due to the surrounding population I think.  I actually got a very good grounding in street salsa as my teacher back at that studio is Puerto Rican from NY, LOL.
  • Does not teach much WCS--we don't do WCS in South Carolina, we have shag!  Which the studio DOES teach, by the way.
  • Doesn't teach any paso or AT, at least to my knowledge.
  • Teaches 3-count hustle (LOL etp)
  • Plays/teaches VW and samba very little (maybe once per night, usually on request)
Dancerette
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 10:37:23 PM »

malakawa, I'm so pleased to hear that there are good FADS out there.

I and several of my comtemporaries had horrible experiences at the one located in our city. The silver lining is I made several dear friends, and the friendships have lasted through the years.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 04:54:23 PM »

No bolero?  Or is that considered a silver dance?

Dona nobis pacem.
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 06:41:35 PM »

Are there any FADS  people still here?   Can someone please explain what dancesport bronze or dancesport silver mean?

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »

Malakawa was one of the founding members of PDO and she started a FADS in I think Florida so she would definitely be an authority...

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »

I'm going to guess that dancesport categories teach you the international steps & technique whereas the in the 'normal' bronze, silver etc you learn the american syllabus steps & technique... This is coming my Arthur Murray days, taught at an AM studio for 9 months so I'm not exactly an authority on this. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:59:03 AM »

I'm going to guess that dancesport categories teach you the international steps & technique whereas the in the 'normal' bronze, silver etc you learn the american syllabus steps & technique... This is coming my Arthur Murray days, taught at an AM studio for 9 months so I'm not exactly an authority on this. Please correct me if I'm wrong...
well, youre more of an authority than I am Smiley

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »

That certainly makes sense. Smiley

Maybe a FADS person can chime in, as well. Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: