partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 07:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116187 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Whats on your mind?
| |-+  Your Events (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Showcase Thread
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Showcase Thread  (Read 1046 times)
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »

I don't see where we have a thread about preparing for and performing in showcases (mods, if there is one already, please delete this or merge it with the other one). I'd love to hear about showcases that you have done or are planning to do.

A couple of weeks ago my pro started choreographing a new showcase which we will perform a couple of time this fall. It will be a Viennese Waltz to the song "I Believe in You (Je Crois En Toi)" by Il Divo with Celine Dion. I have been wanting to do a showcase to this song for a couple of years now and am really looking forward to it. If you haven't heard the song, it has a powerful message about following your heart and dreams. I just hope I can do it justice.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »

Sounds cool ed. I much prefer showcases to competing. They are so much fun. I usually average 2 per year. My avatar is from my last showcase number, a rumba/cha cha to Sarah Vaughan's versions of Fever. It was a blast.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 03:01:51 PM »

The last showcase piece I did was back at the beginning of November (actually, it was very nearly the last time I danced too...)

It was a Broadway-themed piece where I choreographed the non-ballroom/cabaret/theatre parts and the pro I was working with choreographed the ballroom/latin parts to fit in.  We had a lot of fun with it!

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 03:38:03 PM »

Most people have seen my old showcase, which was a tango (obviously) to Tango de Roxanne FP and NP.  Had a blast, not sure when we'll be able to use it again, but sure I'll dig it out again for a showcase somewhere.  I have two new ones I'm working on now though, one in particular (other one is only halfway choreographed).  The halfway choreographed one is an foxtrot to Far Away by Nickelback.  Coach choreographed it all silver level it feels like, so will take a long time to leran that one (plus not sure when I'll get him to finish it).  One I'm competing with for first time next month is a chacha to song called Made, off the Step Up soundtrack.  I think it's coming together really well, and going to be a lot of fun.  Still haven't figured out how to do one part without hurting myself (coach just changed it a a bit during last coaching), but it will all come together.  Better, have four and a half weeks.  Smiley
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 12:05:45 PM »

Pro added to choreography and we discussed how to edit the music which I will be doing this weekend. I really enjoy music editing (not to self: maybe I should try to make some money out of it). I'm really loving the choreography and I have LOVED the song from the first time I heard it. When I listen to it, I just want to move. This is going to be good. I just hope I can do it justice.  Wink

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:34:29 PM »

Definitely want to see video when you have it, LD.  Smiley 

I really enjoy editing the music too, in fact have edited some extra songs just to have around (either for myself or others at studio).  Ironically though, new routine is to original version of this song, not even a slight tempo change.  Just worked out too well as it was.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

awesome - and I rated it as such to Smiley 

loved it em, very smooth, relaxed and expressive..... thanks for sharing Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

It looks great EM. Nice heel leads, very smooth and dramatic. Keep up the great work.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: