partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 31, 2015, 05:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116571 Posts in 1859 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Competitions (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Competition results of PDOers
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] Print
Author Topic: Competition results of PDOers  (Read 56456 times)
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1020 on: November 23, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »

did our last local comp yesterday originally with great in-trepidation, a few couples were not dancing as well, our  older judges have their favourites.  we did both seniors I & II and out of 6 events we got 5 third places. which is so surprising. Very comforting as the last and perhaps most important competition of the year is happening.

We have changed to a new coach as Davide has returned to Perth.  Damien comes from the Maja Serve camp so we are very lucky to have his influence.  Sometimes having a new coach is so invigorating Cheesy

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1021 on: November 24, 2014, 06:49:07 AM »

Congrats!  Maybe the judges like your new coach too Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1022 on: November 24, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »

Would be interesting to know. the old ones are set in their ways.... I know steps don't change that much but the presentation of it does. the lady has certainly moved far more  to the right of the man  than she used to be.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1023 on: November 24, 2014, 09:39:42 PM »

I think she's still standing in the same place Wink

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1024 on: January 06, 2015, 05:38:40 AM »

In the last three years dancing has changed so much and if you have not had lessons in the last five you are really old school.  Some instructors I know have not had a lesson or kept us since the 80's becoming cassette players in an iPod world.  For the ladies position it has really changed.  We went from the lady being just to the right of the man's mid-line to being right chest to right chest and now it has gone to being just past the man's right chest.  The man is also farther back to create a bigger top and the arm lines have changed too.  Not so sure I like the high right elbow on the man that some of the younger guys are starting to sport.  It disrupts the ladies left arm and top line too much in my view.  Hopefully it is just something that will not take and soon be gone.     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1025 on: January 06, 2015, 04:45:22 PM »

Ah, the whims of fashion - the problem is that many of the judges are older and may not react well to a rapid evolution in style.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1026 on: January 09, 2015, 04:53:39 AM »

In the last three years dancing has changed so much and if you have not had lessons in the last five you are really old school.  Some instructors I know have not had a lesson or kept us since the 80's becoming cassette players in an iPod world.  For the ladies position it has really changed.  We went from the lady being just to the right of the man's mid-line to being right chest to right chest and now it has gone to being just past the man's right chest.  The man is also farther back to create a bigger top and the arm lines have changed too.  Not so sure I like the high right elbow on the man that some of the younger guys are starting to sport.  It disrupts the ladies left arm and top line too much in my view.  Hopefully it is just something that will not take and soon be gone.     

yes I agree if they lower the arm to be more sure the ladies arm is so straight and does not look right!

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #1027 on: January 13, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »

It will be interesting if some of the changes stay or become a quick fad.  The deep head dips from the ladies are interesting but I can just imagine the back and neck problems those ladies will be facing.  Some of the head actions I used to do way back by accident or was my attempt at being  artistic are now in style.  I remember my instructor giving me grief over it and teasing my artistic actions by saying "some day everyone will be doing it but that isn't today".  Hmmm, maybe I should call him up and ask him if today is some day? LOL     

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1028 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:24 PM »

It will be interesting if some of the changes stay or become a quick fad.  The deep head dips from the ladies are interesting but I can just imagine the back and neck problems those ladies will be facing.  Some of the head actions I used to do way back by accident or was my attempt at being  artistic are now in style.  I remember my instructor giving me grief over it and teasing my artistic actions by saying "some day everyone will be doing it but that isn't today".  Hmmm, maybe I should call him up and ask him if today is some day? LOL     
Shame you couldn't patent it!  Head movements in sync with the dance are a  great area for development, they expand the line.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1029 on: January 24, 2015, 08:41:14 PM »

some f the head movements in Tango are a bit off. the rapid lady head change without any instigation from her partner. find that a bit silly. But always look with interest the changes that are developing and good thing there is other wise it is stagnant and will die.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1030 on: January 25, 2015, 12:48:03 PM »

some f the head movements in Tango are a bit off. the rapid lady head change without any instigation from her partner. find that a bit silly. But always look with interest the changes that are developing and good thing there is other wise it is stagnant and will die.
Thats really a very masculine action then. I'm a devout feminist in spirit - but that does not deny masculinity and femininty, far from it, it worships the strengths in both.  Standard ballroom is surely one of the best expressions of this aspect of our relationships - to change it is to make it something I don't think it should be.  If its all lead follow by both partners (which an uninstigated female head jerk is) then the magic has gone for me.

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1031 on: January 28, 2015, 09:40:18 PM »

Thats really a very masculine action then. I'm a devout feminist in spirit - but that does not deny masculinity and femininty, far from it, it worships the strengths in both.  Standard ballroom is surely one of the best expressions of this aspect of our relationships - to change it is to make it something I don't think it should be.  If its all lead follow by both partners (which an uninstigated female head jerk is) then the magic has gone for me.

yes I find it quite disturbing and not easy to watch and I often find the winning couples were calm and very easy to watch.

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1032 on: January 29, 2015, 03:17:55 PM »

but maybe we're both old fashioned and this will be the new normal eventually.

Still makes no sense...

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: