partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:21:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116515 Posts in 1857 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  Comp 'Stuff' (Moderators: Rugby, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  shoes for practise
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: shoes for practise  (Read 3600 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: August 13, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »

We have a topic on standard/smooth competition shoes, this one is for 'what should you practise in'

It comes from Dream's Diary where MC commented:
You might want to look into getting some cushy practice shoes.  I know they absolutely save my feet on a regular basis (although I DO have to wear the 3" Latin monsters).  The pair I have: http://www.supadance.com/acatalog/1026_Black_Leather.html  The good thing about these babies is that they're nearly indestructible.  Literally, I've had those for a few years now and they're not worn in the slightest, and they molded to my feet just the 2nd time I wore them.

And DALD replied (if I may summarize) that she was concerned about adapting to shoe that was easier to dance in.

Its a conundrum that anyone in dancesport has probably have faced: you can get (more) comfortable shoes than latin heels or standard pumps - but what if you can't adapt back? 

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:31:52 PM »

I used to have some low, flat heeled shoes that were moderately comfotable for my rather wide feet - but dancing in pumps after was a nightmare - no stability, higher heels (I only use a 2.5 cm, height is not my biggest problem (forgive the pun) Roll Eyes).  However, I found an amazing pair of what are probably latin practise shoes from FREED (yup, the mens shoes company  Wink) that lace up all the way from the toe to the top of the foot - rather like greek sandals.  They also have 2.5 cm heels but a larger surface area heel than a pump. 

they are a little easier to dance in - but it takes me less than half an hour to adapt back so they make for excellent practise shoes.

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 08:07:39 PM »

So is responding to your own threads the new trick to upping your post count?  Wink
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 08:30:09 PM »

thats mine - and queerying such is apparently yours Wink

Actually I now try to avoid (though have in the past) putting personal stuff in the first post - its there to set up the question/issue not for my perspective.  In a sense it separates ED the admin from ee the person.  Does that make sense? 

dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:20:09 AM »

I think Malakawa has summed up what I am attempting to do. 
I need to feel completely comfortable in my dance shoes before I can dance in my practice shoes, if that makes sense.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 04:16:21 PM »

I have read an article in Dancebeat once ("It takes a woman" column, I think), which said that you should practice in the same kind of shoes you wear for competition, and it's not a good idea to use lower-heel shoes and then switch to the competition shoes for a couple of weeks before the event.

So, with that in mind, I was able to locate practice pair which the same brand I wear for competition and comes with the same type of heel.
LucyDiamond
Open Bronze

New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 04:26:26 PM »

<on soapbox>
Being that I'm still in physical therapy for my back, I feel obligated to remind the females that high heels are very bad for your back.
</on soapbox>

I practice in dance sneakers.

"I believe that we are never more truly and profoundly human than when we dance” - José Limón
-------------------------------------
"Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns; I am thankful that thorns have roses." ~Anonymous
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »

there's heels and then there's heels.  I compete in heels - but they are only 2.5 cm and I found a pair of practise shoes with a larger (more stable and comfortable) heel at the same height.  I usually switch to comp shoes 2-3 lessons before, seems to work fine.

I think its different for latin/rhythm too which (as I understand it) have higher heels...

ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »

there's heels and then there's heels.  I compete in heels - but they are only 2.5 cm and I found a pair of practise shoes with a larger (more stable and comfortable) heel at the same height.  I usually switch to comp shoes 2-3 lessons before, seems to work fine.

I think its different for latin/rhythm too which (as I understand it) have higher heels...

2.5 cm is approximately 1". How do you get away with wearing heels that are so low? I use 2 1/2" for all my dancing.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:53:25 AM »

I practiced last night in a very low heel and it is not good for my heel turns....I need to get new practice shoes that match the heels of my dancing does as then I can get the feel of those heel turns etc...Dance position alters also when the heel is lower....my last pair broke and was waiting to go interstate to get a pair when I am at the comp. I wnt to try them on first before I buy shoes...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 04:42:18 AM »

2.5 cm is approximately 1". How do you get away with wearing heels that are so low? I use 2 1/2" for all my dancing.

Lets put it this way, if I wore 2 1/2 inch heels I would be nearly 6'1"...  Shocked

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 05:28:22 AM »

yes that is a problem when you are tallish..I am 5'7" so I can go for higher heels, we still looked well matched

Dance Forum
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 01:03:56 AM »

I can't walk in flat shoes.  I actually need a little heel to be comfortable. 
For example, I can't wear flip-flops unless they have a bit of a heel. 
For the time being, I only have one pair of court shoes, but as I get back to lessons and competitions, I expect I'll have 2:  one for lessons and practice and one for competition.

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 04:28:17 AM »

these are the shoes I wear for practise - made by Freed of england (though I know nothing about this vendor):
http://www.showtimedanceshoes.com/product_info.php/products_id/469

I strongly recommend them if you have wide feet and can't find anything that doesn't crunch your pre-toe bones.  Note that the tops lace up all the way so you can adjust for any foot.  Also, although its a broad heel its quite high so the adjustment to pumps is not bad (I use a low heel though).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:35:57 AM by elisedance » Logged

QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »

I can't walk in flat shoes.  I actually need a little heel to be comfortable. 
For example, I can't wear flip-flops unless they have a bit of a heel. 
For the time being, I only have one pair of court shoes, but as I get back to lessons and competitions, I expect I'll have 2:  one for lessons and practice and one for competition.

I have the same trouble where I can't wear flat shoes, the tendons have shortened int he back of the leg. but I am developing a bunion or arthritis in the joint of the big toe and the foot doctor says that I must walk around in flatter shoes so put less stress from pushing the foot into the shoe.

I am looking for a good practice shoe and much better supportive court shoes.

Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: