partnerdanceonline.com
October 23, 2014, 12:34:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bookshelf for Bookworm  (Read 9943 times)
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« on: August 13, 2009, 08:37:57 AM »

So I've finally started a blog. Yay! Cheesy

This is so unlike me, I still sort of can't believe I started posting here on PDO. I'm usually a very shy, quiet girl who lurks rather than posts. I suppose I needed to start being more social sometime and where better to start than a forum about dancing.

My biggest passion. I've always loved dancing. I first started with ballet when I was five, didn't like the teacher and the way it was taught, left after less than a term.
Then when I was 9, my dad started taking ballroom dancing lessons. I can't remember why he started, maybe it was to meet women (my parents divorced when I was 7), I should ask him about it. Anyway, I would go along to some of his lessons and fell in love with ballroom. I had a free lesson with his teacher, really enjoyed it and wanted more lessons. Somehow I got my own teacher. The studio only taught adults and I was the youngest there for many years. Also the shortest Tongue. It's changed a bit over the years, now they do teach kids if they are interested, I guess I sort of started that.
I've been dancing socially for over ten years now, with the same teacher. I've been doing medals and occasionally inter-studio comps, only really got into that recently.

Currently working towards my Gold Star New Vogue medal. The dances that I'm doing for that are: Lucille Waltz, Barclay Blues, Tango Terrific, Twilight Waltz and Excelsior Schottische. I'm aiming to get that done at the October medal night.

Goals after that:
Comp Grand Final in December
Gold Star Club Latin medal first medal night of 2010 (march?)
Dance Teacher
Compete in Dancesport - don't really have a set time for this, as soon as I find a partner I guess

I recently, within the past two-ish months, I finally managed to convince myself that I want to do more with my dancing than just dancing socially. Before I was deluding myself that I was happy just to keep doing what I was doing. Now I know better. I want more!!! Grin

I want to become a dance teacher and I want to compete!
Not quite sure how to go about those things but I'm getting there, very slowly. (Any tips/help would be much appreciated!!)
Firstly I started ballet to get my body toned, then I asked my teacher for an additional lesson a week. I had previously been having only one lesson a week but now am doing two. Also started going to socials outside my studio (thanks SW  Kiss)
I'm gathering my courage together to talk to my teacher about teaching. And that's about it, I've no idea what to do next.

Apart from teaching (in the future), I'm also working on getting another source of income from property investment although I haven't done much about this recently. Need to get moving on this.

Other random things about me:
Pisces
Right-handed
Mechanic (wealth dynamics profile)
interested in personal development

Current favourite VW songs:
You and Me - Lifehouse (usuing this as my Twilight waltz music for medal)
She's always a woman - Billy Joel

Recently read 'The Italian Wedding' by Nicky Pellegrino. Stayed up till 3.30am reading it last night. Probably not a good idea but loved the book. It's about an Italian family in London. The youngest daughter is getting married and the eldest daughter is making her wedding gown. The eldest, Pieta is a bridal designer, while Addolorata is working in the family restaurant that their father set up when he moved to London from Italy. The book is mostly about a feud that exists between the family and another Italian family living in the neighborhood, about how the feud started back in Italy and how Pieta's father met her mother.
On the front cover it says 'Two feuding families, two love stories and a feast of delicious Italian food.'
I don't usually read books like this, I read mostly Fantasy but occasionally when something catches my eye like this one did, I'll buy it. And I do like good food so....... Tongue

Wow, that was a long post! If you read all the way through, Hugs to you and if not, well, hugs anyway.  Cheesy

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:04:25 AM »

I think the reason you post here is exactly the same one that we all do - somehow we (and I really do mean we) have created a quiet, tollerant niche where you can talk witout fear of being put down.  I suppose eventually we will have a member that does just that but I have real faith that the spirit of PDO will prevail.  There really is strength in openness and democracy (such as one can have on a forum anyway) - its truly a shame that our nation has gone through a period where it seems to have abandoned that for dictates and laws.  If I have one hope for the new administration it is that it will restore this strength which, when trusted and nurtrured really does defeat all. 

Sorry to ramble a bit - but its what I truly believe and I think its what you are truly responding and bonding to.  I only hope we can remain worthy of that trust.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:52:31 AM »

Cute name for your Blog! I like!  Cheesy
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:56:20 AM »

Grin
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »

Yay! Thank you!  Cheesy
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

Had a really busy week with lots of dancing which was fun!!! although I did miss one social - angry with self Angry

In my lessons, we're focusing on finishing the choreography for my medal. Still need to find tango music though.
Also going through Tango Arg routine for comp in 2 weeks. 

Met some dancing friends Fri night for dinner and gee, I thought teenage boys were immature but it seems that older men can be as well. Had to suffer through hours of dirty jokes although have to admit, some were really funny. Afterwards, went to a salsa club with one of them (others went to a strip club) and danced the night away, went to bed really late (or early). It was my first time at a salsa club and it was so different from other socials/dance party's I've been to. I was observing this one couple there and they were dancing a bacchata with so much passion, it was breathtaking.

Finished watching the last disc of season 4 of Babylon 5 tonight. Awesome tv series! I think I like it even better than Star Trek.

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 03:50:57 AM »

I have a date tomorrow night eeeeeeekkkk. Haven't been on a date in 5ish years.
Well, at least I think it's a date.  Undecided
Have been asked out to the movies, that constitutes as a date, right???
Arrrrgggggh have no idea what to think. Date? Not a date, just going out as friends??? Huh Huh Huh

Maybe I should just relax and breath. Yes, must remember to breath. Breathing is important!!!!
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 04:41:35 AM »

You and Me - Lifehouse (usuing this as my Twilight waltz music for medal)

Grin i'm using it for my gold V.Waltz in a couple of weeks, but am using a piano verson, really nice Wink

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:06:44 AM »

Arrrrgggggh have no idea what to think. Date? Not a date, just going out as friends??? Huh Huh Huh

Maybe I should just relax and breath. Yes, must remember to breath. Breathing is important!!!!

if there is a tension - its a date, if there is none its a friend....
if breathing is conscious then there is definitely tension then... Wink

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:46:39 AM »

I'd say it's a date. Relax and enjoy!

Good luck!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »

mmm but dates become flings become steadis become stale become berakups become tears
friends become closer friends become closer friends ad infinitum....

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:32 PM »

haha now I don't know what to hope for.
ZPomeroy
reg mods
Intermediate Silver

Victoria, Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 02:27:09 AM »

mmm but dates become flings become steadis become stale become berakups become tears
friends become closer friends become closer friends ad infinitum....

so according to Elise, it'll eventually become "a date / closer firend  - 1" wow i never thought i'd ever use that math stuff again Tongue

Zac

Dance is poetry written for the feet, read by the heart, and destined for the soul.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 05:04:26 AM »

equations?  there are two
date      ==>  0
friends   ==>  [infinity]

(don't know how to use that code button for symbols - I suppose its the ancient asci code!)

bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 12:17:16 AM »

haha math  Grin

Yesterday evening:
First we went to the movies, saw District 9. I liked the documentary feel of it.
Then we picked up my dancing shoes and went to a salsa thing. We didn't stay there long as they were doing classes and the social wouldn't start till later so we went to another one. Danced till 11pm then went out for dinner. After dinner we went for a walk around Docklands. That was really nice, there was no one else around, so we just walked and talked. It was a bit cold though. We headed to a cafe for something warm to drink and then headed back to his place to watch 'Cars' (pixar production). Got about half way through that when I decided I needed to sleep, it was about 5am at this point Tongue so he drove me home. And that was it.

I had a really good time!!!! No idea if it was a date or not but I enjoyed myself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: