partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  how long is your dance comp?
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: how long is your dance comp?  (Read 1601 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: August 13, 2009, 05:40:12 AM »

SW wrote: 'Hmm....by the sound of your post, dance competitions over there run over a couple of days?'

Which made me realize that the marathons we have in NA are not necessarily everywhere!

Obviously Blackpool runs for a week , but thats blackpool.  Here, in Ontario, most competitions are for a day - in particular the ones sponsored by the local amateur association.  The difference really is competitions that have pro/am and the reason is - well lots of people, lots of pros - and lots and lots and lots of heats!

But how long do comps take in your area?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:11:49 AM »

Hehehe....by the sound of that, I should definitely reply to this one.  Tongue

Um..small competition here run for half a day. Championships run for an entire day, starts around 9am and finishes anywhere between 9pm and midnight.
There are 3 national championships a year and they usually run over a number of days. Capital runs over saturday + sunday. South Pacific runs over saturday + sunday as well. THE AUSTRALIAN usually runs over 3 days, friday + saturday + sunday. But last year since the IDSF Latin Championship was held in Melbourne together with the Aussies, that ran for an entire week!
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »

Our FA regionals run a day and a half now.  Start around 7 or so Friday night, run until 11 or 12.  Start up again in morning at 9 or so I think and run until 3-5.  Then come back at 7 for dinner and pro show/comp/live band/whatever we're doing that particular comp. 

FA nationals tend to run wednesday evening through saturday night.  NDCA comps around here start thursday or friday through Saturday night.  Except Wisconsin, which started Wednesday night and ran until Saturday night, and went until 1 in morning at least two of those nights.  But this was biggest year ever for Wisconsin.  Think they cut off entries after it broke 10,000 mark.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »

OSB may be the grant mother of comps here - goes on for a week but most major (i.e. with amateur, professional and pro/am) comps are 3-4 days.  Actually I think the only choices are:
Amatuer only (regional comps, national comps)
Am, pro and pro/am
and a few that are now only pro/am or pro/am and pro (at these one can compete as an am/am couple, which is confusing, but its basically two pro/ams competing together as it is not recognized by the Amateur organizations.

etp777
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 12:20:09 PM »

Yeah, OSB is the big one.  And USDC looks to be almost as bad.  Just glancing at schedule, starts at noon on monday and runs through Saturday night.  now, monday is jsut for registration, getting heat sheets and all organized, heats don't start until tuesday, but still.
dream a little dream
Silver

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:43:39 PM »

let's see.....my regional comp?  Well, that would be OSB.  Starts on a Tuesday afternoon and runs until Sunday night.  A smaller comp, like Cincinnati, will start on Thursday night and run until Sunday morning. 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »

In USA, OSB, USBSC and Embassy seem to be running longer than others- almost one whole week, these are major NDCA comps. Others mostly running from Friday to Sunday. Our events (champ standard) usually Saturday night, so we could do is fly in Friday later afternoon, dance Sat and fly out Sunday morning.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:28:50 PM »

Our studio comp has always run one day, usually a Saturday.  A loooooong Saturday.  Last year,entries reached the point where solos had to be scheduled for Friday evening, and we're expecting that again this year.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 04:31:07 PM »

yeah, we went through same thing cornutt.  up until 07, was a single day comp. Got to point that we were having to finish up heats after dinner, and didn't relaly have time for pro events.  So split it up into friday and saturday and makes it a LOT less of a time crunch. 
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »

Almost all comps I've been to were 3-day events. Out of the longer ones, I've been to OSB, and I've been to one shorter 2-day local event.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »

I think here in the US it is generally between 1 to 3 days with much much larger comps 4 to 6 days.

depends really on numbers of entries etc ....

I mean you figured ...

there are the different age groups (little kids to seniors), different levels (newcomer thru top level), different styles (american (2 styles), international (2 styles), wcs, ecs, etc...) , am/am, pro/am, collegiate, pro/pro , showdances, pro shows, theater arts, cabaret, etc. yeah can be quite a big comp (and hopefully well organized) then add in there photo ops (so to speak) when awards are given, craziness all the way around.

so .... if it is a comp that is HUGE like OSB or Blackpool,  you have it all with a bag of chips, a side of salsa, bells, whistles and fireworks, etc ...

if it is a smaller comp, some are just am/am. some combine pro/am and am/am. some are just college. you get the idea.  Grin

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 06:01:51 AM »

the ones that I have entered are generally one day and on a Sunday. but I have been to comps that go over two days...but have only had to compete on one of the days

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »

well someone like me (at this point) would only compete on one day.

But there are many that compete all 4 styles, and many at least 2 levels, 2 ages, scholarships, championships, then it may and does cross into 2 or more days

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »

Yep, even at our small regional comp (day and a half), I'll be competing both days.  If it's like last year, i'll dance smooth Friday evening, showcase saturday morning, rhythm saturday daytime.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:28:06 PM »

I only compete one style and one level - but I still ended up competing over three days at the last comp!  At OSB I think they purposely scatter the heats so that you have to stay for more of the comp.  Last year I competed on tuesday through sunday I think...

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: