partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 05:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Comp mood swings...
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Comp mood swings...  (Read 949 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« on: August 12, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »

I see a pattern Wink  I think I feel all lf the following for each competition but it is the most extreme when there is something major at stake - a big comp, a new patner, major changes in routines and such like.

Stage 1:  Before leaving for a competition I am nervous but resolved.  Time is filled with practise and packing - I don't get too worked up because I delude myself into thinking its all a long way away.
Stage 2.  Day before up to first heat.  I crash.  There is no better word for it - you've seen it here.  I start to feel completely inept and unprepared; that I am making a fool of myself and that I will let everyone down.  Its hard to put to words how extreme this sensation is.  I can not imagine why or how I got myself into this pickle.
Stage 3.  First heat.  I am totally strung out and nervous - its the self-fullfiling failure in spades.  The more nervous I get the worse I can dance. 
Stage 4.  After the first day or at least the first awards.  I start to relax realizing that I can actually do this - dress, go out on the floor, dance - even make a mistake - and the world does not cave in.  I begin to get my confidence...
Stage 5.  Before the next heat.  I feel good and get excited about competing - even look forward to it!  I relax and start to dance, not go through the motions.  I'm cool collected and at my best...
Stage 6.  Euphoria.  I can't think of a better word for it.  The post dance - or rather during dance and after ecstacy.  Its as close to a high that I can get and it lasts for days. 
Stage 7. Post comp.  I don't exactly get let down - hey, I paid my dues before the competition.  Wink  But I do get post-comp exaustion.  I'm totally drained and can't do much.  (yesterday sat on the deck and fell fast asleep - something I never do during the day.

Does anyone else go through anything similar?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 01:40:18 AM »

Somewhere or multiple places along the lines, DP and I would start on the alcohol.  Grin

Hmm....by the sound of your post, dance competitions over there run over a couple of days?
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 01:41:46 AM »

Yep.  Only really small ones are less than 3 days.
standarddancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

I sometimes feel bit nervous before big comps, but once on the floor and warmed up, not bad, just keep going…more stressed out for solo dance for introduction of finalists for certain major NDCA comps, since we’ll dance under beautiful lighting as the only couple on the floor, any mistake could be more noticeable.

Selling my amazingly beautiful dresses! NEW ADDITIONS!!!
http://public.fotki.com/standart/ballgown-for-sale/
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 03:28:37 PM »

I can't do them. Mine started 6 months in advance with the frantic zeal of anticipation of "Oh, boy, going to go somewhere new, dance with a lot of other people around, and might get a ribbon for it!". I wanted to scramble and work hard and fast on everything to "perfect it and get the work part done and out of the way" so that we could relax a little more and not have a last-minute cram. I don't exactly know *what* the partner wanted, because I couldn't get a straight answer out of him.  I hate last-minute running around, and above all Being Late And Unprepared, so naturally,  that's what always happens.

Three months into it, I get worried that we're not on the right track, and start asking questions and trying to be over-eager, extra-helpy, and annoying to the partner who gets agitated and brushes me off by going quiet when I start asking "So, do you think we'll have a lot of people against us/ do you think we need to do more on quickstep/ am I too heavy still in foxtrot/ am I dragging you in waltz, etc."

Two months away, I start digging through everything to put together the clothes (smaller collegiate comp- no costumes) and ask the partner what some of his plans are. He doesn't know.

The last month is me sweating, panicking, and worrying that nothing will go right because there's been a communication break and I've done everything wrong and wrecked everything and it's because of me we're doing this stupid thing anyway, and in addition to that, we have to people coming with us who aren't any more prepared than we are.

The night before, the partner tells me "Fine. Screw it. I'm sick of this, and I don't want to go. Call the others and tell them we're not going."

I do.

Then he says "No, take that back- you didn't tell them, did you?"

"You DID? WHY on earth would you do THAT!? Tell them you changed your mind..."

So the next day we go up and get settled in the hotel room and then go out dancing and come back in late. The day after that is the comp- we're up bright and early, and I'm living on a steady diet of healthful Live Green..... Listerine breath strips. All day long.

I ruined quickstep because I just crashed right in the middle of it with emofatigue, and we didn't final in it.

We ROCKED this throwaway oversway right in front of judge Andrew Tate. We look at him though, and he's looking at us like I just killed his dog. We didn't semi in waltz, needless to say. It was a damn good oversway! I take consolation in having watched this past Volstate, and during quickstep, Tate totally blew his and had to bounce out of it, so nya. Karma's a bitch.

Out of 150 couples, we took fifth in tango and foxtrot (U of I has the most screwed-up system, and their email contact doesn't believe in communication at all). I'm drunk off fo spearminty goodness vapors and an empty stomach, and now that we didn't die on the floor, the partner's suddenly my BFF again.

No, thank *you*, I won't be doing that again. Once in awhle I bring it up to try to show him I'm a good sport and I'd like to TRY to behave and be normal, but he blows it off and dismisses it by changing the subject. He WANTS to compete, and he SAYS he wants to with me... but I'm not feeling it or seeing it. I'm not cut out for it, I can't handle it, and if he wants to do this, he needs to figure something out.

If the partner knew how to establish and keep order, or at least try to decipher my crazy, I'd do it again, but we're too different in personality and our approach to things for it to work well.  I scratched the itch, was pleased with the result, and that's over and done with. If he wants to compete again, he can take all of it over from a to z and just order me around, and I'll be happy with that.
Vasya
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 10:25:48 PM »

comp for me is fun, I like comps, but not really small comps of one round, I dont' really get nervous  - just treat it like another run-thru. I prefer large international comp like blackpool or multiple rounds comp like MAC, Manhattan Dancesport or Emerald.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 10:27:21 PM »

Then maybe you can teach us how to keep our nerve.  Fraid I'm not so good - vulnerable to getting nervous - but more with my pro than am partner (I do both by the way)

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 05:46:35 AM »

comp for me is fun, I like comps, but not really small comps of one round, I dont' really get nervous  - just treat it like another run-thru. I prefer large international comp like blackpool or multiple rounds comp like MAC, Manhattan Dancesport or Emerald.

I am like that. I don't get nervous either, but I have never danced at a big comp like blackpool etc.. that may be different....But they do say no nerves no form...so I think a bit of nerves is a good thing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 06:07:43 AM »

It really depends on the comp. At our local social comps I'm not nervous at all. We're one of the best on the floor in our division, so there isn't really a reason to worry. If that sounds like I'm being snooty, I'm not. We've consistently gotten first place, but they wont let us move up a division because of politics and 'the rules'

However, at the bigger comps that are official Australian dancesport comps, I do get nervous, because we've often never seen the other competitors before, and most of them are good. It's not uncontrollable though, and once we're out on the floor I just concentrate on the dance and having fun; it all goes away.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 02:52:23 AM »

I found after the last comp I was on a high and then had to come down to reality and back to the normal routine.. it was such a buzz.... I was not depressed but wanted that feeling back.

In a way it is good that you don't have a comp every week that could be quite draining Shocked

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: