partnerdanceonline.com
August 22, 2014, 07:47:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby's Ramblings  (Read 4272 times)
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:34 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your injury Rugby.  Backs are tricky things.  Please be careful!

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2009, 11:16:44 PM »

Not what I need.  Just over a month before we start to compete again and so little time together.  Wonder if Rusty wants to go into cat shows.  Yeah, cat showing, that's the ticket.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 06:02:11 PM »

Working away at getting ready for Kingston.  We have to practice on our own which makes it interesting when we get together.  We just finished our quickstep routine off so hopefully we will be able to get it sorted out and memorized in time.  I have a feeling we may be doing alot of lead and follow if the routines don't come together.  When we practice, the majority of the time the space or conditions don't allow us to practice complete routines but only pieces of.  It's like having individual pieces of a puzzle that we now have to be able to put together seamlessly.

The good news about Kingston is that I heard that they are going to hold off laying down the ice in the arena until after the competition. 

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 03:51:55 AM »

Thats great news on the ice!  I had heard that it was irritating last year.  It'll be my first view of the arena...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 03:52:24 AM »

Oh, when are you there?  I'm driving up friday and coming back sat evening.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

My first time there too but it's good to know I won't have to wear leg warmers!  Perhaps I should take up some of the wine my Italian friend gave me just in case I heard wrong.

We are driving up friday and then coming home on sunday.  The couple you met in Niagara are going to be there too.  They are going to try out bronze though their real focus will be pre-bronze.

You and P are still going to compete aren't you?

I will keep an eye out for you on friday night. 

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »

we do plan to compete - but we have WAYS to go judging by our practise today... ah well, someone has to prop up the field Wink  PDOers are over achievers, I keep them honest Smiley

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »

Then we will both be propping up the rest.  Our quickstep is just not there yet and the rest is still somewhat shakey.  Well, sometimes it goes really well then it goes not so well.  I guess we shall have to wait and see.

Good to here that you are both going for it.  Each comp is a learning experience.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 07:32:37 AM »

true...here I am in chicago Wink  I'm a bit nervous but nothing like NY thank goodness.  Itsa bit of t nuisance that my hotel is rather a long way from the comp - beyond walking - so changing and getting there are bigger issues.  OTOH I have rarely seen such a gorgeous modern room! 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »

During our lesson on the weekend we were told that another instructor has changed the routines of two of his couples (she knows the couples well) in the last month and they are now using one of our long side in samba and our whole trick line section in rumba.  Same spot in the dances too so if we don't change it the other couple and ourselves will look like we are line dancing.  If we start at another spot we both will still have a large section of the routine that is the same and it will look odd.  Now we have had to change both sections in the rumba and the samba.

This instructor teaches at the same studio as her and has watched us intently in the last few months.  We wondered why he was so interested.  I told her to look at it as a compliment to her choreography.  This is the second time this has happened to us but at least the first time (where they took our first 10 bars of our open section at the start of the dance) we no longer did the routine as we graduated levels. 

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »

Wow, that's got to be annoying.  On the upside though, not only is it a compliment of your coach's choreography, it's also a compliment of the way you dance it.  It's just a pain that you're now going to have to rework your routines.

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »

Or you could go ahead and make it backfire - if (as I assume) you do the routine better they are going to look really bad...
Perhaps you should have a word with the studio owner on this.  See if they have a policy.  After all, if its the same its going to be pretty obvious.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »

off this is a tricky mess. I agree with ee on this. discuss. OR look at it this way ... change up and doing something completely new and terrific.  Grin

That is what we decided to do, new and better.  Paul gets to do a latin move he has always wanted to do and our new trick line in rumba is trickier but more unique.  It is a move our instructor has used in showdances and we think it is going to stand out far more, especially since two other couples are going to be doing our previous trick line.  The good thing is Paul never liked the particular trick anyway so he sure didn't mind changing it.  This one is easier for him I believe, though tougher for me.     

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 04:22:43 PM »

Well the Kingston curse was alive and kicking.  I have never had so many darned injuries before a comp.  I finally got all of them better or at least under control then I find myself in the hospital in Toronto on tuesday night for 7 1/2 hours.  I have not been able to get rid of this bad cough I have had and when we went to Toronto to take some daily lessons before Kingston it became worse, to the point where I would have to sit down and get my breath back and stop gakking like I was going to spew.  I was going to try it anyway but when we went up to speed and through all the dances at the studio I was okay for three but half way throught the fourth I knew it was game over.  My DP and instructors kept wanting me to go to the hospital since they thought I had pneumonia.  I finally gave in thinking I could get something that get me up and running.  Well, by 3 a.m. the doctor told me dancing was out and that my lungs were reacting from a viral infection leaving my lung capacity at less than one third of what it should be.  If I competed at the competition I was going to chance having respiratory failure out on the floor and lung damage.  We did go and watch and cheer on some of our friends though and I was able to go out and do a few general dances so at least I got some dancing in.  I'm not contagious but it will take at least two weeks for my lungs to recover.  Now I have to try and get to the point where we can make the Ontario Open.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 04:33:58 PM by Rugby » Logged

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2009, 04:36:18 PM »

So sorry you had to miss it - OTOH it upped our ranking by one and gave us someone to cheer for us Cheesy  Set the sights for Ontario - TDROK (Tall Dancers Rule, OK Smiley)

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: