partnerdanceonline.com
August 30, 2014, 02:13:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Rugby's Ramblings  (Read 4334 times)
Rugby
Gold

« on: July 30, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »

I was just watchng a video called The Best Of Dancesport from 1999 and it amazes me how much dancing has changed.  I have seen a few shows from back in the 90's and the major difference I notice is that in both standard and latin the dancing has become bigger, faster, more athletic and expressive.  Watching the video it was fairly tame.

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:34:30 PM »

Hey rugby welcome to the bloggyspot. Its about time you were writing here. I couldnt agree more with you about the changes even over a decade in competitive ballroom. The same can be said for every other sport as well. How long before performance enhancing drugs are found in top dancers?
Who cares
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 09:43:08 PM »

so this is either going to be R going on at length or an account of her hiking holidays  Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »

Both of course.   Cheesy

Everyone tries to rush up through the syllabus levles and think once they are at the top they have arrived.  What they don't realize is that by doing this it is like skimming through a book, you may get the gist but you will never understand the story.
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:38:16 PM »

Well everyone I finally did it.  I called up one of the animal organizations and became a foster home.  

I knew I was going to do it but something always held me back from calling.  Somebody would come to the door, the phone would ring or I was busy or had to do other things.  I had researched different groups in the city over the last month or so and finally wrote the number down for one of the groups to call the next day.  Well it was the weekend and I became too busy and I didn't want to call when my DP was here as I wasn't sure that he would support my decision. On monday I decided that I would call but lost the phone number of the group I chose.  I went back on-line into my favorites to get the number again but as I was about to write it down I changed my mind at the last minute and wrote down the number of another group.  Don't ask me why, I kept asking myself that as I phoned.  Nobody was there but I left a message and also sent an email.  The next day, Judy, one of the heads of the group, called me back and made an appointment to come to my house to meet me and tell me about their group.

Judy told me they only have 15 foster homes and they were not only going to lose 3 due to people moving or going away for a long stretch, but they also already had more cats than they could find homes for and were desperate.  She said it was like mana from God when I called and they were very excited about my coming on board.

We made an appointment for Judy to come and check out my house and myself on tuesday. 

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

Tuesday came and Judy showed up right on time.  She told me about her group and the fostering program.  They are the oldest group in London and made of all volunteers.  She asked me if I had a preference for a particular type of cat or age.  I said no but if they had a cat that was old or hard to place I was fine with that too.  Everyone wants the young or great cats but nobody wants the less than perfect ones but these are the cats that need the help the most. 

After filling out a simple agreement form and answering each other's questions she told me about a cat named Rusty.  Rusty is a one and a half year old male cat that has had a hard time of it.  He was dumped in the country by his so-called family and eventually found his way to a farm.  At the farm he did not do well against the farm cats, especially since he was declawed.  Someone saw him and rescued him but by then he was only a skeleton of a cat who had now contracted FIV.  Rusty was taken to the vet and was going to be euthanized but his friendly attitude got to the vet and his staff and they called up Animalalert (Judy's group) to see if there was any way they could take him on.  He knew they were pretty full but said that Rusty is asymptomatic and is perfectly healthy.  The group decided to take the chance and found a senior couple that would foster him.  They had to give Rusty back as they were leaving for Florida but told the group he was a great cat.  Rusty went to another senior couple for awhile but then they too had to give him back as they are getting ready to go to Florida shortly for the winter too.  They told Judy he was a fantastic cat and Judy brought him to her place as she could not find another foster home.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »

Judy has had Rusty for a few weeks but he has had to stay in the basement most of the time.  He trades off being upstairs with her 5 other cats but she has had to keep them apart from him most of the time to not take the risk of him getting into a fight and biting one of the other cats.  This has not been the best life for him and Judy was hoping that she could find him a foster home or someone to adopt him but to no avail.  Judy ran an ad with Rusty as the feature cat for the last two weeks but most people want a perfect cat and nobody was calling for Rusty.

It was at this time I called Judy and told her that I wanted to be a Foster home and didn't care who they sent me.  She said she couldn't believe the timing and that someone was calling to be a much needed Foster person.  I told her about how I was calling another group when for no reason I stopped and called her group instead.  Maybe it was meant to be.  Judy made arrangements with me to have Rusty come over today.  This morning I got a call that a lady had seen Rusty in the ad and decided to adopt him.  When Judy went over to check the lady out and tell her about Rusty the lady said she changed her mind and was going to foster a dog instead.

Poor Rusty but I am very glad he didn't go to her.  If she can change her mind like that then who knows if he would have gone to her home to only be sent away again.  This poor guy has had 5 homes through no fault of his own and he didn't need to be turned away again.  judy called me up and told me what happened and that he would be coming to my place for 4:30 today after all.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:46:38 PM »

Rusty came at 4:30 and even though I have a large house as soon as we let him out of the crate he explored every corner.  Judy gave me his food that his last fosters had bought him and I put some in one of the new ceramic bowls I bought him.  He is spunky, curious and very friendly.  I have let him do his own thing and he has been coming to visit me every now and then.  He has put on weight to the point where he has to be on a diet.  I picked him up and he is like a ton weight.  Rusty is a sandy brown colour, like moist sand, or close to.  Judy sent me a picture and his information so I will post his picture.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 09:11:23 PM »

So how long does fostering go on? And how does it work?  If the cat stays with you for ever (which seems to be the plan) then whats the difference from adoption - do they cover his ffod costs?  (sorry if you wrote the answers to these elsewhere...)

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:41 PM »

You can have the cat for a couple of days or if things are really slow or it's a hard to place cat it may be a year.  Thye take care of all medical expenses and if I can no longer do it they will take the cats back and find another place for them.  Judy said that if I changed my mind she will take Rusty back.  I provide food, water and love.  They figure that living in someone's home is far better than in a crate.

It is a win situation for everyone and helps homeless cats.  Some cats are from people who have died or are moving and can't take their cats and others, like Rusty, were tossed away to suffer an unknown fate.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:33 PM »

I think its wonderful - but as said, I can't imagine keeping a cat for a year and then having to give them up!

[like I said, I give you two months tops Wink]

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 01:00:51 PM »

Can't believe it.  Pulled the muscles in my lower back.  Actually from the lower back into the middle of my hips.  Feels like I have broken my two hip bones apart and it's a killer to move them or even sit.  I am like an old crip but I better get better for the weekend because I have two hours of jive at 43 BPM to get through.

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 01:14:11 PM »

you may want to skip this weekend R - no sense in running the danger of making a much worse injury...

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 01:39:49 PM »

I was thinking that but we have 5 hours of lessons in a row and we are getting so far behind.  I am getting to think that we may not be able to do the latin for Kingston and the time we have put into latin has left our standard a bit rusty.  We have 3 hours of standard to hopefully get some of the wrinkles ironed out. 
If I go to my arsenal of horse medications I may find something that will get me feeling better by the weekend.

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 04:40:56 PM »

Just freezes. The one I just put on is Mineral Ice, it's a stronger version on A535 Ice for humans.  Alot of the horse medications often turn into human ones.  They just package them nicer and charge a whack more money.   

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: