partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:02:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Promotion through the ranks - how does it work where you are?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Promotion through the ranks - how does it work where you are?  (Read 3210 times)
ttd
Open Bronze

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:02 PM »

You shouldn't have any problem at all, I thought you guys were in demand on all levels. Part of my problem is that the dancing scene here is small, and you can literally count on your fingers how many men are beyond basic bronze. And the ones who actually do silver in competition are spoken for, both of them. And I guess that's the natural outcome of my efforts in the last few years, I really improved my dancing to the point that doing high-level events no longer looks like an impossible goal to reach, but I have nobody to do it with, except pros (and not all of them, either).
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:42 PM »

heh, I still haven't touched silver yet.  one of coaches recently suggested it, but have to make it through this comp in a few weeks before we even consider it.  course, I don't have any competitive students at my main studio out of bronze anyway, so I guess that skips that worry anyway.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »

wait a mo, there are videos out there etp and I don't think you are telling the whole truth.  Nice try though... Wink

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2009, 03:52:25 AM »

I don't have any am-am aspirations. I won't be able to find a partner of comparable level close enough to make it a viable partnership, unless one moves here, and local guys aren't that great. I shudder to think about how long I would have to wait until one of them improves to the point where I'd also be getting something out of practicing together besides shoulder pain. The only way I can see myself getting into am-am is getting a divorce and relocating to an area with bigger dance scene, like NY metro area, but then if I look at the bigger picture, whatever I save in competition costs probably won't offset the cost of living there, so overall I will be worse off than now.

So I plan to stick with pro-am and get as good as I can get there.

I understand the problem - toronto is over 3.5 million people and AM partners are very rare here too - I could say I am very lucky to have one - but it took me 6 years get to the point where I was worth considering when the opportunity came up.  The real benefit of AM partners is the free practise time - if you love to dance you can do it a lot without being a millionaire...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: