partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 11:06:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116399 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Promotion through the ranks - how does it work where you are?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Promotion through the ranks - how does it work where you are?  (Read 3076 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 04:24:15 AM »

I was thinking about the Australian promotion system and the same thing can not happen here because we have the three-wins rule.

We can compete in DP and I currently compete in Gold and pre-champ.  If we won the pre-champ (with a semi) then we could no longer do gold but we would not be promoted out of pre-champ as we would have to win that three times.

I just noitced a difference though.  For us advancement occurs at any OADA (ontario amateur dancesport association) event, not just national championships.  Thus, if we enter a small local comp and we will with six or more couples that is counted as a promotion win, one of the three. 

Which events qualify in australia?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 04:58:44 AM »

Which events qualify in australia?

All registered event with Dancesport Australia (ADS or FATD) qualify.

We have a point system where 5 points must be obtained for a particular level to elevate.

Small competitions carry 1 point.
Championships carry 2 points.
Nationals carry 5 points.

So sometimes it requires 5 wins to elevate, other times even 1 win at the nationals in sufficient to elevate.
I guess they're thinking, the bigger the comp the more intense the competition will be, therefore more points should be awarded.
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 04:59:42 AM »

And to add, in our level at the moment, which is level 2.

A small competition would have 15 couples.
A championship would have 25+ couples.
Nationals last year we had 96 couples.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 05:56:47 AM »

96 couples?  Wow.  Sounds like blackpool....
Are these closed or could a visitor from, say Canada Smiley enter?

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 08:23:23 AM »

that seems a bit rough Q - was that a mistake on your part, i mean its not good to advance until you feel ready for it - or was that built into the system?

that was the way the system worked....I think SW mentioned previously that you have to take the pints if there are more than four on the floor..

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 06:34:23 PM »

96 couples?  Wow.  Sounds like blackpool....
Are these closed or could a visitor from, say Canada Smiley enter?
anybody can enter.  There are only a few closed events and they are open ones. - mummsie
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 10:38:02 PM »

I could definitely see argument to stop sandbaggers, but just time in a level is not way to go.  Smiley  I like the way the pros do it here with ndca.  Win rising star in any comp, you can't compete it again.  Win Rising star at OSB, you can't compete rising star anywhere again.  Obviously, you can't do something exactly like that for proam, but something similar wouldn't be unreasonable.  Sure don't expect me to figure out what would work though.  Smiley  With NDCA, AM, FADS, etc, heck if I want to be responsible for trying to figure out something that would cause minimal complaints for everyone.  Of course no method that'd generate no complaints for anyone.

That's what happened to my former pro and his partner; they won RS at both Ohio AND USDC and are no longer eligible for RS, but they haven't cracked the Open Pro finals yet.  It's a bit frustrating for them and their supporters.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »

Can definitely understand that, musicchica.  None of my friends are ready for open yet.  Least, not to win.  THey still get out there every comp and do their best.    Err, except none of them have run RS at ohio OR usdc yet.  Smiley
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 10:47:20 PM »

Well, they're definitely ready for the finals.  There are couples that I think they're better than who keep coming in ahead of them, and they just barely miss making the final.  Which makes it doubly frustrating.
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 10:49:47 PM »

Yeah, we have couples we hate that keep doing that too.  Smiley  well, "hate", since most of them are friends
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »

anybody can enter.  There are only a few closed events and they are open ones. - mummsie

Hmm...I wonder if someone was to come to Australia to compete and they're from USA or Canada, how would the conversion between levels work?

What level are you Elise?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2009, 04:48:22 AM »

Hmm...I wonder if someone was to come to Australia to compete and they're from USA or Canada, how would the conversion between levels work?

Yes I was thinking the same thing. we hope to compete in Europe next year and would interested to know how that works?

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2009, 05:10:50 AM »

In AM we are Senior I (over 35) gold/prechamp - but I think we established in an earlier topic that this was not equivalent to you - we start doing open steps much later.  Maybe its easier to compare from the top down?  Pre/champ is litterally that - the next level down from championship .

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 05:12:22 AM »

Yes I was thinking the same thing. we hope to compete in Europe next year and would interested to know how that works?

Its very different - but we don't seem to have a regular poster from Europe to ask right now Sad - we need to find one!

mummsie
Bronze

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »

QPO I will ask our resident couple who compete overseas regularly. - mummsie
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: