partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Crash and burn
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Crash and burn  (Read 2931 times)
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 08:46:26 AM »

I remember a competition, a small little one day affair at Niagara Falls... hey, it's going on this weekend!  What a coincidence.  Anyway, my pro had the temerity to actually get married and go away on a honeymoon (really!) so I was partnerless for this comp.  There was this brand new pro who I had taken some lessons with who was going to dance there with her pro partner anyway so why not pro/am together?  Sounded fine... on paper.  Wink  So we had a few weeks to work together and then we headed off to the comp.  Welllll... it was a disaster.  Some dances I managed to plod my way through but others (Quickstep comes to mind) I wasn't doing figures so much as I was doing freestyle.  So I come off the floor, I have this new pro with her first pro/am and he's just crashed and burned and she's looking at me with big eyes waiting to see if I'm going to burst into tears or something.  She says to me,' Well, it wasn't too bad..'  I just had to laugh, my performance was just so far down the bad spectrum that it moved into ridiculous.  Poor thing, I hope I didn't scar her for the rest of her career.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 09:41:26 AM »

Then get to work!!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Blue Tango
Bronze

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 01:01:47 PM »

Then get to work!!
Low-key inquisitive noise of confusion?  If written would be a cross between hmmm? and whaaaa?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »

[I think I was replying to a post on the previous page Embarrassed

Becca
Open Bronze

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 11:54:33 PM »

I wore a tube top cocktail dress to a semi-formal social dance  (after a competition had ended) ...once. Lol the guy ( really hot pro. guy btw)  tried to dip me and the dress went down... i flashed half the ballroom. *sigh* it happens right? At least I wasn't competing  thank god!!  Those comp dresses are pretty good at holding all the assets in tho.... Cheesy

There is ALWAYS a reason to dance! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 02:31:29 AM »

well, lets say it was a memorable evening.... for all concerned Wink

Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

Photo thanks to http://www.marcialeeder.com

« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2009, 11:23:12 AM »

It was my very first competition.  I had only been dancing for about two months and it was the first event for my pro too.  We had a series of rhythm dances one after the other after the other.  We made it to ECS, the music starts, we do a basic, UAT and I feel this pull on the strap of my halter dress.  *SNAP!*  There goes the top of the dress.  I caught it the best I could in my free hand, let go if his other (while doing ECS basic) pulled myself back in and tied it back up around my neck.  As it turns out, the clasp of his watch got caught, somehow, and that was what snapped the strap of my dress. Tongue

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 09:38:48 PM »

So that's why my instructor doesn't want me to wear a watch on the dance floor!   Cheesy
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »

Yeah, there can be some pretty revealing wardrobe malfunctions. Tongue

People can be divided into three classes: the few who make things happen, the many who watch things happen and the overwhelming majority who have no idea what has happened - Warren Miller's "Off The Grid"
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2009, 10:00:04 AM »

I did once see a lady lose a heel off of her shoe during a waltz heat.  Apparently it got hung in a crack in the sectional floor.  She stayed on her feet and finished the dance, but afterwards it was evident that she'd turned her ankle pretty painfully; her partner had to help her off.
Medira
Administrator
Open Bronze

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2009, 10:32:56 AM »

Owww...it takes a lot of force to break one of those heels.  That's really unfortunate.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »

thanfully I had a heel break while do a social, it felt like a fell in a whole in the floor but it broke in half it was a very strange feeling. My shoes are wearing out now and I have to get new ones...but looking for better quality

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2009, 08:58:03 PM »

You fixed it?  I would have thought a broken heel was terminal (for the shoe Wink)

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2009, 04:24:16 AM »

You fixed it?  I would have thought a broken heel was terminal (for the shoe Wink)

Yes it definately was terminal...but my other pairs are also heading in the same direction...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: