partnerdanceonline.com
September 01, 2014, 03:50:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: A day in the life of a Lioness  (Read 1897 times)
Lioness
Open Gold

« on: July 24, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »

Well, I thought I might as well get this going. I've never blogged before, so this is sort of a combination of trying it out and getting my writing skills better. I'm thinking I might just steal SW's idea and do a day-by-day journal type thing. Here goes:

Today was...relatively uneventful. We started the day off with Japanese, and we watched a video (in Japanese, of course). To my surprise I could actually understand some of it. Particularly memorable is the conversation from a family who had never eaten pineapple.

[to be read in a trendy Japanese teenage accent, because that's what they were speaking in]

Father: Look what I've brought home
Imouto (younger sister): Oooh! Nan desuka? (what is it?)
Father: A pineapple
All family: Ahhhh, sugoi! (cool)

*pause while everyone looks at the pineapple*

Ane (older sister): But...how do we eat it???
Imouto [In very disappointed tone]: Ah. Shiranai (I don't know) Sad

It was just funny the way she said it. Then they actually tasted the pineapple and all hated it, except for the same little girl who loved it! It's a very quirky movie, I think it's called something like 'Memories of Yesterday'. It has 'yesterday' in it somewhere.

Pass over recess and maths, and we have music.

Music.

I used to love it, now it's not so great. Nothing wrong with the subject, or the teacher, but the powers that organise classes have absolutely no idea how we function. Last semester we had year 11s and 12 in the same class: a class of about 10. Fine. That worked nicely.
Now we have year 10s as well, bringing us up to a grand total of 26 people, ranging in age from 14-17.
This would be fine, maybe, if the year 10 class were actually advanced enough to keep up with us, but they aren't. They don't know nearly enough and the year 11s and 12s are suffering for it. Today we were watching a movie and there was an oboe in there somewhere. One of the year 10s said (very loudly and ditzily) 'What the hell is that thing?' To which I replied, 'An Oboe'. 'A hobo???!' she said in return. *grumble*

Oh, and did I mention the classroom is only intended for 18 pupils?
Yeah. Mayhem. There aren't even enough seats.

Come practical lesson time it is going to be very hard. We have maybe 10 pianists in our combined class now. Previously we only had 4. We only have 5 pianos, and at most times 2 of those are taken up by teachers. I have a feeling we'll all be working on duets.
I'm going to email whoever it is that organises classes sometime soon, because it's just not working.

On a lighter note, my chem teacher is funny. She keeps forgetting BF's name, and today called him David, Bruce (which is funny, because his father's name is Bruce David), and, when she couldn't be bothered finding an actual name for him, just gave him the title 'Count'
He burns in the sun, so I guess it works... Tongue
I swear she should teach kindergarten kids, but despite that, she's a great teacher. She's cheery and happy, and generally awesome.
Not so, says the boyfriend of indeterminate name.
Pfft. He's wrong anyway Tongue All because I finished the work sooner than him. Nerd-races are fun. He got muddled up with the question because he was trying to go too fast and skipped steps.

Dakara, I win!

[P.S. I apologise if I slip in to Japanese occasionally...I'm starting to think in it.]

Later!

L
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »

nice L - really get a feel for whats important for you in the day - but please, why the fascination with Japanese?  I don't suppose its a major immigrant group in Australia...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 08:39:26 AM »

It's the language I learn, and I guess I just really like the language. It's fun to speak and it sounds cool. They make the words 'pocket money' sound angry! *Okodzukai!*
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:23:05 AM »

So cute. Loved reading ur blog.  Grin

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »

I loved recess. Can I come back to your school and have it again? We were so cruel to oneanother. Use to play games called Indian burn. Now they light up a cigarette and spit at each other. The boys are even worse!
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 10:25:36 AM »

you have recess in the higher grades?

here is the states ... not after grade 5 in elementary.

AND unfortunately A LOT of the art/music classes have been cut too. Makes school very NOT interesting for the kids to want to pursue or learn! (and they wonder why our academics is lower than most of the countries. SHeesh  Roll Eyes Angry)

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:50 AM »

Hey Lioness, I LOVED reading your blog!  You have a wonderful talent for writing.  I'll be looking forward to the adventrues of the Lioness, the Music Teacher... and ... the Wardrobe?
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 11:44:04 AM »

... the Wardrobe?
thats not DP is it??? Tongue

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 12:28:01 PM »

... the Wardrobe?
thats not DP is it??? Tongue
Grin  No Elise. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »

well, he might be quite the dresser.. ... ... (pun was not intended, but I wish I had Smiley)

Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »

Well, I don't think day-by-day is going to work, I might try a weekend blog.

The past week has been different to my normal schedule. I usually work mondays, tuesdays, and fridays, a 5 hour shift on each. My boss has been told to do wage cuts, and I think she needs to cut about $500/week from the wages. Which is essentially getting rid of a part-time worker, but apparently Woolies doesn't fire people unless they are truly shocking.
Because of these cuts, I'm not only working only tuesdays and fridays, I'm also working by myself. Not fun at all. Not even in the most liberal sense of the word.
Tuesday was pretty horrible: it was busier than usual, and I wasn't used to it. Friday was a little better. I had a great guy on to help me until 6, and it was quiet after that. I still don't like working on my own, but I'm adjusting more.

And speaking of getting better at things, our private lessons are so good. For the first time in ages I feel like I'm learning more than just steps and how to extract the valuable comments from meaningless drivel. We are working on dances we already know, but refining footwork and style. Next week DP and I want to work on contrachecks & oversway. We've never actually been taught how to do them - we've just sort of guessed. Then if we've got a bit of time left over, maybe some latin. We've neglected that a bit, but I do like latin. Probably won't compete at a high level with it, because of various reasons, but I like it.

hmmm...what else?

Oh yes. This weekend.

This weekend has been great so far. This morning I had archery. Nothing special, but nothing particularly bad either. Afterwards I went to DP/BF's house for a couple of hours, had a very awesome Chicken dish for lunch (his mum is a great cook!) and practised our piano duet (no, that is NOT a euphemism Tongue)
After lunch we went to a piano trio. It is the most amazing classical music I've heard in a long time. The pianist was excellent, and she really bought out everything the piano could offer. The Violinist and the Cellist were equally brilliant, and together they made the most exquisite harmonies.
They played Robert Schumann's Fantasiestucke, Opus 88, Clara Schumann's Trio in G minor Op. 17, and Brahms' Trio No.1 in B Major Op. 8.
Out of the three I think the Brahms was the best. The second movement (Scherzo: Allegro Molto) was musical awesomeness, and the third and fourth movements were very passionate. Here is a pretty good version of it, but nowhere near as good as these guys.
Robert Schumann's was second, and, while Clara Schumann's piece was very good, it was a bit too classical (as in the period, not the general musical style) for my taste. I'm a romantic gal.

Looking forward to their next concert, in October. Though the violinist looked about 5-6 months pregnant, and October is in two months. That could be interesting...hope nothing bad happens.

Until next week, guys!

L
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 02:06:08 AM »

just see that your posts were 1234 :-)

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 02:07:16 AM »

and now mine is going to be 4567 freaky :p, I am too lazy to blog. well done everyone who does. now have to get round to read them all

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Lioness
Open Gold

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »

Today I found a most amusing mistake in my Japanese - the crucial difference between particles.

The sentence we had to write was 'The baby started to cry'
Akachan ga nakaidash!ta. Fairly easy. I accidentally wrote: Akachan WO nakaidash!ta, which apparently means 'I started crying a baby'
insert really funny image. Like giving birth, but through your eyes.
Someone else mixed up the verb 'to cry' with 'to vomit' AND the particle, so she ended up with 'I started to vomit the baby'

Oops.

And for the record, the literal meaning of baby is 'red child'
How cool is that!

And I'm so glad I proofread that...the filter changed the sh!t in nakaidash!ta to flower. Nakaiflowera anyone?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:07:38 AM by Lioness » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 08:29:05 AM »

My boss has been told to do wage cuts, and I think she needs to cut about $500/week from the wages. Which is essentially getting rid of a part-time worker, ....................
Because of these cuts, I'm also working by myself.

If you are working by yourself two days a week it would seem that they have actually fired not the temps but the full time workers, not the temps.  You can see why: with temps they only pay by the hour, and probably minimum wage - and there are no benefits with totally flexiblity.  the down side, of course, is that there is no employee loyalty when the economy reverses and little in the way of experience.  This sounds like a business in real trouble...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: