partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2014, 02:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116457 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  What makes a great coach - pro/am
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What makes a great coach - pro/am  (Read 2054 times)
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 11:38:15 PM »

OT ... DSV ... you know the Peter's name came up today. trying to figure out the dynamics still. Will have to wait til tomorrow. But I instinctively know there is not 1 major influence but several and all influences are evident in the teaching styles of those pros. Yet not so evident in mine. This is going to take much more work.

BOT ... that was very much a compliment DSV. Thank you. It is in the caring of the mentors, like parents, that they do these things BECAUSE they care and seek the best in their "children". (even when we do not want to hear it or do it)

Well, I had a feeling Peter's name was going to come up sooner or later. Wink It does sound like you have a bit of a cocktail going on there. Wink I am sure you are soon going to find out where all the bits are coming from.  Cheesy

You are very welcome.....not quit sure what you are referring to. Tongue

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
etp777
Bronze

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 11:46:36 PM »

Have a coaching tomorrow, ironically (Was supposed to have one today too,  but that coach had to cancel/reschedule).  This particular coach is one of my favorite smooth coaches in region.  He's done wonders for friend and his smooth partner.  Good personality, great at phrasing things for people to understand, great knowledge of dance, etc.

For a coach I only see occasionally, I find the nicer approach better.  Regular pro or buddy teacher can beat my ass (figuratively and verbally, that is) regularly, as have ongoing relationship and that can work as part of it.  For visiting coach that I'm only seeing for second time, or even one of regular coaches I see every couple months, that doesn't work as well.
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 10:43:02 PM »

That quandry is a bit more interesting when you think about learning distinct form competing.  I agree that a competing pro wants to strut his stuff - and that can make the am nervous and not shine. 

This is probably something that is different for am leads and am follows, but I don't mind if my pro dances a bit over my head (as long as she doesn't get totally carried away, but I've never seen her do that with any student).  It pushes me to step up my game. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

Interestingly my pro loves it when I do the same Smiley  The more 'active' and independent I am (within context of course) the more he likes it.  It gives me a fantastic sense of freedom...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: