partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 04:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116183 Posts in 1853 Topics by 220 Members
Latest Member: elam63
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dances - beginners, social and syllabus (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Samba
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Samba  (Read 2232 times)
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 03:57:44 AM »

Ah. Gotcha.

I know that our teachers would drag us out and beat us in the middle of the road if we put actual "bounce" bounce in samba.

There's this one absolutely adorable little fellow we love to watch to smooth/standard, but he's just starting to cut his teeth on Latin/Rhythm, and... oy... the stiffness/frameyness is carrying over, the poor guy looks like he's going to have some real back trouble by the time he hits the ripe old age of twenty.

I know that bad cuban motion makes the guy look like he's trying to chew gum with his butt.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 04:03:33 AM »

yes I truly don't know enough about this dance...I like to do it socially but  I know I know zip  as to how to do it properly

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2009, 04:21:05 AM »

I don't do latin, but does it come from the one leg being straing while the otherone bends slightly, giving the hips a up and down action. I am learning that latin legs are much stiffer than what I thought.

Generally you're right...except in samba.  Samba is different than all of the other Latin dances.  As opposed to every other Latin dance, in samba you arrive on a bent leg.  And yes, technically there is bounce, Ginger, but the shoulders aren't supposed to bounce--it's supposed to be absorbed through your middle, so the shoulders stay level while the hips move.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 02:46:48 AM »

well so far my understanding is arriving on the bent leg and the other is a straight leg, not stiff. and that the bounce is actually a rolling through the ankles to the knees and then hips. the torso thru the shoulders should not be moving at all.

And also in the hips in order to get the motion a lot of it is like pelvic thrusts and figure eights (when doing the walks).

HELLO we need a pro in here to help. please?

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »

I am here but definitely no pro..but popped in anyway Tongue

Dance Forum
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 03:37:23 AM »

post count (*&&*&(^&%% ......... Wink just a teasing you

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 04:29:46 AM »

Pheasant Hollow Pink Lace wine makes for an excellent samba coach. I had, like, three old guys whooping and cheering for my miserable rendition of samba tonight.
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 02:14:20 PM »

Pheasant Hollow Pink Lace wine makes for an excellent samba coach. I had, like, three old guys whooping and cheering for my miserable rendition of samba tonight.

awe .......video would be good! Wink

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »

post count (*&&*&(^&%% ......... Wink just a teasing you

ah but I can always learn from others in here...

Dance Forum
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »

I think we let our brains get in the way and make the samba far more difficult than it needs to be.  Once you understand the mechanics you get one of those hit the heel of the hand against the forehead moments.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

My forehead has an imprint of my palm.  I've been doing that a lot lately.  Dancing: very easy to execute, extremely hard to explain (like walking!).
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »

HELLO we need a pro in here to help. please?

Sorry to have bailed on you guys...life happened. If you are still interested in solving the samba phenomenon, I'm here.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:06 PM »

I have been working on barrel rolls in samba for about three months now. Things are getting better regarding timing and shaping but there is still much to learn. Any helpful hints or techniques anyone can share?
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 03:44:46 AM »

What seems to be the issue... leading, following, foot placement/speed, torso, hip...?

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: