partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 05:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Stamina training - what do you do?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Stamina training - what do you do?  (Read 2726 times)
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2009, 03:52:08 PM »

That was the point I was making. If you train for endurance running you won't have the muscles for explosive changes of pace. The aim should to develop the muscles used in fast walking for endurance, and reserve the muscles used in running for short term power.

Training in long distance running is bad option if you want to have both endurance and power.

dancing1
pre-bronze

Sr. Championship

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2009, 03:34:54 PM »

The name for the type of training that best prepares us for dance competitions is interval training, which is basically just like rounds.  You work very hard for a period of time, and then there is a recovery period, then on to another period of high intensity.  I agree that the only thing long distance running prepares you for is long distance running! Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2009, 03:52:01 PM »

The name for the type of training that best prepares us for dance competitions is interval training, which is basically just like rounds.  You work very hard for a period of time, and then there is a recovery period, then on to another period of high intensity.  I agree that the only thing long distance running prepares you for is long distance running! Smiley

sure sounds like a comp to me Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »

Last night we did five in a row and then we two of each style (Standard) then another five in a row...

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 08:16:38 PM »

stamina training is on holidays at the moment, so social dancing is how stamina training, dancing for the whole song and maintaining the shape and timing.... hard work Tongue

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 09:47:15 AM »

Last night we did five in a row and then we two of each style (Standard) then another five in a row...

Where's New Vogue?  Roll Eyes
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »

Our studio does a simulated competition every Monday night (std) and Wednesday night (latin). We do the 5 dances in a row and also at half speed. Crikey that's hard.

We also do 5 of one dance in a row once a week.

Other than that, salsa and quickstep/jive are guarenteed to sweat (see another thread LOL)

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 03:29:37 PM »

5 dances in a row?Huh

Is that supposed to be a challenge?

I don't think there's a lot of difference between us in age, but the only thing that stops me dancing is the availability of partners. I recently discovered that I could walk 25 miles a day (every day)  without too much problem, (most young guys could do it, most old guys could not) so maybe I'm special.

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2010, 05:36:35 AM »

yes I see where you are getting at. but if you dance five dances in a row, maintaining your shaping, posture, using all  ankles, knees and power correctly, I am sure you would feel very different about doing 5 of the same in a row...it is not comparing apples with apples.

I can easily do five social dances in a row, that being waltz, tango, foxtrot, quickstep and VW, but I can tell you in the end some of them may not look the best.

Dance Forum
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2010, 05:40:16 AM »

5 dances in a row?Huh

I don't think there's a lot of difference between us in age, but the only thing that stops me dancing is the availability of partners. I recently discovered that I could walk 25 miles a day (every day)  without too much problem, (most young guys could do it, most old guys could not) so maybe I'm special.

40KM in a day how long does that take you walking? the average person walks at 1km for 10 minutes so that is over 6.5 hours?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:59:18 AM by QPO » Logged

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2010, 06:23:15 AM »

5 dances in a row?Huh

I don't think there's a lot of difference between us in age, but the only thing that stops me dancing is the availability of partners. I recently discovered that I could walk 25 miles a day (every day)  without too much problem, (most young guys could do it, most old guys could not) so maybe I'm special.

40KM in a day how long does that take you walking? the average person walks at 1km for 10 minutes so that is over 6.5 hours?
Cheesy
well, that would be the average person....Tongue

cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2010, 08:42:40 AM »

That's a lot of walking.

The idea of the 5 dances in a row is supposed to simulate the end of a day of competition, where you've finally made it into the finals and you need to make your last dance your best.

You're absolutely right, by the 5 dance I'm tired and sloppy. My posture is losing shape, footwork is slow and imprecise.  That's the idea they're getting at...it's the last dance which is most important. This is it, you made it into the final now what do you have left? You better bring it coz this is it!

Haha these little exercises are quite fun actually. And it's a complete simulation, we're supposed to enter and exit the floor and comport ourselves exactly the same as we would during competition.

One of the interesting things about my studio, which is a competative studio, is that when you practice, you are expected to dress. Men/boys wear shirts and ties. The philosophy is that if you want to be a champion, you better start looking like a champion and comport yourself accordingly. No t-shirts or exercise wear.

Given the nature of the cardio training, I'm ironing and laudering a ton of shirts a week!

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
albanaich
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »

Yeah, no worries walking for 8 hours, with a couple of breaks. 30 years ago I could do it in full CEMA, about 100lbs of rilfe, ammunition, kit and other stuff. I was always good on marches.

I was terrible on the tasks that require brute strength, like running in short bursts with an H bar (bridging transom).

The Army (particular the assualt engineers,) is a good place to find out where your physical strengths and weakness lie. I lucked out on stamina, but failed on power.

The record for military marching is probablly held by SS Nordland, which marched 250 miles in full battle order in 4 days during the battle for the Baltic States in WW2.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 04:48:54 PM by albanaich » Logged
samina
Silver

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2010, 04:55:56 PM »

5 dances in a row?Huh

ever did a competitive round of standard? am sure it would quickly challenge your personal limits...
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2010, 05:24:41 PM »

5 dances in a row?Huh

ever did a competitive round of standard? am sure it would quickly challenge your personal limits...
I read somewhere (wish I could find the quote) that dancing competetive standard is equivalent in energy expenditure to sprinting...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: