partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 10:31:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116186 Posts in 1853 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: cleverpete
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Looking Confident on the Floor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Looking Confident on the Floor  (Read 3109 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 07:30:23 PM »

I'm trying to get DP to be more dominant!  Its actually in his personality but I know he will not express it until he feels he really is the best.  I guess thats what women do in tribal groups - boost their guys dominance factor Wink

After all the women's lib and all that (which I am a strong supporter of) it might be fun to play-act tribal roles...

Yes, that action is called "henning" in ballroom dancing.  Wink Grin

And its something I am just discovering.  But I perhaps the term does not do it full justice.  Henning somehow sounds like its puffing the male cock up (OK, I'm talking chickens here, people OK?) but I think this is much deeper - the core of a good male-female relationship where the common actions of supporting, adoring and protecting the woman is a partnership with the supporting, grounding and boosting the man.  They all go together like the perfect frame...

What did I just write?Huh??

Isn't that exactly what the ballroom frame is all about?  Isn't that also just what ballroom dance is and also symbolises?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 07:33:34 PM »

Pretty deep there Elise.  Very deep, and in my humble opinion, right on the money.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 07:45:55 PM »

...so does great dancing spring from a great relationship?  And I do not mean just a formal marriage or male/female life partnership.  I mean a great relationship in all its myriad of variations....

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 07:48:54 PM »

And its something I am just discovering. 

Better now, then never Wink

"Henning" in ballroom dancing means that the lady is supporting, grounding and boosting the man so that he in return is supporting, adoring and protecting the woman. 

They all go together like the perfect frame...

Agree Grin

Isn't that exactly what the ballroom frame is all about?  Isn't that also just what ballroom dance is and also symbolises?

Yes, I would agree on that too. Cheesy

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 07:49:52 PM »

...so does great dancing spring from a great relationship?  And I do not mean just a formal marriage or male/female life partnership.  I mean a great relationship in all its myriad of variations....

Wow ee, you are really getting it.  Grin

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 07:57:58 PM »

I hope so - it means that great dancing can come from two people with a common wish, one that involves each other. 

I've been astonished at how our partnership is blossomed over the last few weeks.  Once we admitted that the other person (and I do mean both of us) had something unique to give that was worth effort and even sacrifice it started to click.

As in all relationships the key is trust - trust that you are cared for and trust that you are valued.  If you have both (and of course that it is mutual) I'm not sure you couldn't do anything...

samina
Silver

« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »

love your comments, ee... it's inspiring to hear how your relationship with DP is evolving.

some guy... you're a cheeky fellow...  Cool
catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 09:04:10 PM »

I think I lost the jist of this conversation when someone mentioned sternum. Wow I am still trying to learn how to put my tie on by myself
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 09:12:48 PM »

I think I lost the jist of this conversation when someone mentioned sternum. Wow I am still trying to learn how to put my tie on by myself
its easy, tie it up first then step into the hole and pull up... Roll Eyes

catsmeow
Bronze

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 09:23:29 PM »

Yes EE I think you have it. We could talk about the tie being the result of the neck or is it the neck that makes the tie. And of course the delicious implications of the knot being tightened.. argh necks, ties , females , males  ....its all too much for me. Gonna go frug in the corner.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:45 PM »

gonna frug
onna rug
inna corner

gonna blew
without you
inna corner

see I write rap
Or isit crap,
anyway, doit in the corner

Rugby
Gold

« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 09:55:01 PM »

There was a great topic on that on DF a while back - dance pro stirred the subject up by saying that she spent more time looking at the floor than the ceiling.  I've never forgotten that advice...

I would have to agree with dancepro on that great ladies spend more time looking at the floor then the ceiling. I actually don't remember once any of my coaches telling me "look up". They would tell me to keep my head in line with the sternum and then change the sternum (or swing the sternum) to create a big top line. They would tell my partner to "look from afar". Not one would say “look up” to either my partner or myself.

Ditto, that's what I have been told too.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Rugby
Gold

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »

I'm trying to get DP to be more dominant!  Its actually in his personality but I know he will not express it until he feels he really is the best.  I guess thats what women do in tribal groups - boost their guys dominance factor Wink

After all the women's lib and all that (which I am a strong supporter of) it might be fun to play-act tribal roles...

I think my DP is the same.  The problem is I am a very dominant type person because my jobs have been to be in charge.  It makes it hard to allow someone to do so.  I know I have to allow him to take the lead so that he can feel that he can do his job without me trying to help him.  Of course I do find that many men try and instruct their partners all the time too, trying to teach them their part.  I see this alot.  Perhaps if we take care of ourselves then in turn we allow our DP to take care of their part.

You have to fight through a lot of crap before you find your way up out of the toilet. Sometimes I think I have a good hold on the rim then I slip back in.  Each time I don't sink quite as deep though. - Rugby
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: