partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 07:51:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Dancesport
| | |-+  General dancesport issues (Moderators: QPO, Rugby)
| | | |-+  Looking Confident on the Floor
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Looking Confident on the Floor  (Read 3373 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2009, 05:39:17 AM »

not just big I hope - go for tall!. 

I was talking to a pro (who got close to the world championships in latin) and he said that he set out to make himselve taller - he actually measured himself regularly and watched himself grow!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »

well some of it is as we get older our spine compresses they say 1cm per decade...so by doing something that will strech your spine I am sure you can make yourself as tall as you were.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 04:49:40 AM »

I find it helpful when I look up.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2010, 05:00:46 AM »

yes I have seen one masters couple she is always looking at the ceiling. it is quite strange to watch but they are often place getters

Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »

There was a great topic on that on DF a while back - dance pro stirred the subject up by saying that she spent more time looking at the floor than the ceiling.  I've never forgotten that advice...

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 06:06:54 PM »

There was a great topic on that on DF a while back - dance pro stirred the subject up by saying that she spent more time looking at the floor than the ceiling.  I've never forgotten that advice...

I would have to agree with dancepro on that great ladies spend more time looking at the floor then the ceiling. I actually don't remember once any of my coaches telling me "look up". They would tell me to keep my head in line with the sternum and then change the sternum (or swing the sternum) to create a big top line. They would tell my partner to "look from afar". Not one would say “look up” to either my partner or myself.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
samina
Silver

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »

yes I agree, there is a difference between confidence and arrogance....and sometimes people get confused between the two. Arrogance is the wrong attitude for dancing and not admired.

hmmm... i'm not sure about that... when i observe some of the top men in any of the styles, there can be a distinctly arrogant quality to them. and even with the women... there is a kind of "female dominance" which could be translated as arrogance.

is being in the energy of a certain kind of arrogance truly a negative? i mean, i know how we all tend to view that as an unvirtuous attribute. but... am not convinced, actually, that it doesn't win out on the dance floor at times.

i have seen an attitude of "absolute dominance" many times be fabulously entertaining, utterly magnetic, charismatic... and wonderful. in standard comps, for example... the best look like Masters of the Universe to me, or Dueling Lions... and i love it. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »

Maybe ballroom is to some extent a personification of dominance - certainly champions exert an air of authority that the also rans can not equal.  It could be a tribal (or herd) supermacy thing too - might be worth its own topic...

samina
Silver

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »

I like how you put that, Elise.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2010, 06:11:53 AM »

I'm trying to get DP to be more dominant!  Its actually in his personality but I know he will not express it until he feels he really is the best.  I guess thats what women do in tribal groups - boost their guys dominance factor Wink

After all the women's lib and all that (which I am a strong supporter of) it might be fun to play-act tribal roles...

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »

yes it is about the words we use...if you ask two different  the opinion of the colour Orange one person might say warm, sunny, bright Other might say Loud, over powering, gawdy....

so someone would say the person is confident and other might say gosh that person looks arrogant.

Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 06:52:57 PM »

I would have to agree with dancepro on that great ladies spend more time looking at the floor then the ceiling. I actually don't remember once any of my coaches telling me "look up". They would tell me to keep my head in line with the sternum and then change the sternum (or swing the sternum) to create a big top line. They would tell my partner to "look from afar". Not one would say “look up” to either my partner or myself.
This is one of the biggest illusions that your sister showed us.  It seems like the top women spend a lot of time looking at the floor or checking out their own butts.   Grin  Stunning illusion 'though.   Cool
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 07:08:11 PM »

I'm trying to get DP to be more dominant!  Its actually in his personality but I know he will not express it until he feels he really is the best.  I guess thats what women do in tribal groups - boost their guys dominance factor Wink

After all the women's lib and all that (which I am a strong supporter of) it might be fun to play-act tribal roles...

Yes, that action is called "henning" in ballroom dancing.  Wink Grin

Edward Teller
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 07:11:24 PM »

..... checking out their own butts.   Grin  

I can't believe you actually posted that. Shocked Embarrassed I do agree however. Tongue Grin

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 07:16:52 PM »

..... checking out their own butts.   Grin  

I can't believe you actually posted that. Shocked Embarrassed I do agree however. Tongue Grin
Okay, I'll be  Lips sealed from now on (washing my mouth out with soap... oh wait, since I typed it, I think I'll just wash my hands).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: