partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:20:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  General partner dance issues (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt)
| | | |-+  'Ivan the terrible' or 'Fairy Godmonther' - which teacher works for you?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: 'Ivan the terrible' or 'Fairy Godmonther' - which teacher works for you?  (Read 3074 times)
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 09:00:32 PM »

Yeah.  As needed.  Maybe you never needed Ivan or Fairy Godmother.  Cool Smiley

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 02:58:03 AM »

I wont go to a teacher that is Ivan the Terrible, what would be the point? I dont think that is the best way to get your students to improve, not saying they cannot be a bit stern but there should always be some carrot in there :p

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 03:38:33 AM »

I understand. I also think that a lot has to do with your own personality and its match with your teacher's.  The best teacher I ever had (in my non-dance life) was thought of as Ivan the Terrible by most other people.  He got the very best out of me with his stern approach. 

To each his/her own I suppose. *shrug*

Dona nobis pacem.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »

The really great teachers can be either or both as needed, even with the same student ...
I beg to differ - the best teachers I've ever had were neither ever.  The taught primarily by teaching you how to teach yourself.

Its a bit like the old 'give a man a loaf and you feed him for a day, give him a spade and you feed him for life'. 

what is the etymology of "I beg to differ"? is it another way of saying "with all due respect" ie meaning "no respect at all because you are talking horse feathers.."

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2013, 11:35:49 AM »

The really great teachers can be either or both as needed, even with the same student ...
I beg to differ - the best teachers I've ever had were neither ever.  The taught primarily by teaching you how to teach yourself.

Its a bit like the old 'give a man a loaf and you feed him for a day, give him a spade and you feed him for life'. 

what is the etymology of "I beg to differ"? is it another way of saying "with all due respect" ie meaning "no respect at all because you are talking horse feathers.."
please please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE may I differ.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: