partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 02:19:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116434 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Falling
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Falling  (Read 10449 times)
GreenEyes26
Mind Workers
Intermediate Bronze

« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:22 PM »

In Latin, pendulum swing never takes over.  Once the metronomic motion is exhausted, it has to be re initiated.  You keep your body metronomically (is that even a word?) tipped in athletic position if you want to keep moving forward.  It feels like you're the Leaning Tower of Pisa but in the mirror it looks like you're just standing straighter than usual.  Keeping your body metronomic also lets your legs swing underneath you with a straight knee naturally (without having to straighten the knee).  In Latin, metronomic motion stays in the body, which causes the legs to react to catch your weight: so the leg action looks a lot faster since the legs are working out of reflex.  Using reflexes rather than conscious muscular control makes it less draining and requires a lot less effort.  Also the balance is a lot better.  This is why I said falling is "required": reflexes don't kick in unless it's real.  Latin has one "swing" dance which is Jive, and Standard has one Latin-ey dance (I'm inventing all sorts of words!) which is Tango (each movement is metronomic and never pendulum swing).        

I think I finally get what you're saying. It sounds like the action is then out of the dancer's control: oh boy. I need a lesson in falling. Smiley

"As to methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »

Now, that shows you what a few lessons in falling can do for you. Get up and get on with it....with ease. Thank you for posting that SG. Most top couples learn to fall and that is why they are able to go beyond what most others do. They have found the edge.

DSV
Yep, you don't drown when you fall into the water.  You only drown if you stay there.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2011, 01:28:32 PM »

I think I finally get what you're saying. It sounds like the action is then out of the dancer's control: oh boy. I need a lesson in falling. Smiley
Yep, when you let go of control is when your body truly gains control.  If you make conscious actions you never give your body the chance to take control and hence you never let your body demonstrate its full potential. 
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2011, 06:43:41 PM »

Yep, when you let go of control is when your body truly gains control.  If you make conscious actions you never give your body the chance to take control and hence you never let your body demonstrate its full potential. 

My teacher often said "When you let go of control then you gain more control than you ever though possible"

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
samina
Silver

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2011, 10:12:43 PM »

Was talking recently with my son about the lessons in being "supported", in losing the feeling of falling, that we've learned the past couple years, and he gave a great analogy... that of a ping pong ball that is supported in the air by someone's breath. That's the experience we each have had... as long as we allowed that support and relinquished the fear of falling, we remained in the experience of being supported like that. And that is so powerful... it's liberating. Even though one has given up all fear of falling and one *could* ostensibly fall without that support... the knowing that one is supported, that that is part of natural Law and the order of the universe... that allows so much delicious freedom and peace.

It's been transformational. And I've noticed body & movement changes that seem to correlate with it. Very cool to observe & experience. Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2011, 10:32:11 PM »

Nice analogy Sam ... compliments to your son Wink Smiley

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
skipper
Bronze

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »

I'm terrified of falling and I know it. I'm afraid of it all the time in Latin. I like to think that if I could conquer that fear, I could do anything - lol.
Try to do this - it worked for me.
Go home - stand 1 foot away fom your bed--FALL face first on your bed. Do it every day. You know the bed is soft and will catch/support you. Next step - stand on your bed and fall. Don't you remember jumping on your bed as a kid?  Same idea.
samina
Silver

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2011, 09:35:40 AM »

I'm terrified of falling and I know it. I'm afraid of it all the time in Latin. I like to think that if I could conquer that fear, I could do anything - lol.
Go home - stand 1 foot away fom your bed--FALL face first on your bed. Do it every day. You know the bed is soft and will catch/support you. Next step - stand on your bed and fall. Don't you remember jumping on your bed as a kid?  Same idea.
gonna do tonight... great sensation! Smiley
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »

Great idea Skipper!  I wish I knew this.
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »

Interesting choice of song, good demonstration of it too, perfect for this thread!   Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7L-ziLQ92U
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2011, 11:46:32 PM »

Have to wait - can't do Utube on my BBry

drj
Bronze

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2011, 08:14:27 PM »

Interesting choice of song, good demonstration of it too, perfect for this thread!   Cool

Love the song. Great demonstration of falling. Otherwise, I don't like it. <ducks for cover>

ancora imparo
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2011, 03:36:01 AM »

Why duck for cover?  Nothing wrong with having an opinion.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2011, 06:10:32 AM »

Why duck for cover?  Nothing wrong with having an opinion.

...twas my thought too. 
And BTW, ducks don't make very good cover, they tend to squawk a lot - unless you mean a duck feather coverlet, they work beautifully Roll Eyes

samina
Silver

« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2011, 12:41:27 PM »

love this so much. the sensitivity of her feet...how she waits for him and responds so fluidly...how connected their nervous systems seem to be, so exquisitely passing the "baton" of their energy and action back & forth...how she completes the trajectory of her movement and is in such deep sensation of her dancing...and yet how light.

exquisite. oh yah... the falling too. Wink
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: