partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 10:12:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116526 Posts in 1858 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Falling
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print
Author Topic: Falling  (Read 11721 times)
drj
Bronze

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »

Interesting choice of song, good demonstration of it too, perfect for this thread!   Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7L-ziLQ92U
love this so much. the sensitivity of her feet...how she waits for him and responds so fluidly...how connected their nervous systems seem to be, so exquisitely passing the "baton" of their energy and action back & forth...how she completes the trajectory of her movement and is in such deep sensation of her dancing...and yet how light.

exquisite. oh yah... the falling too. Wink

Wow. We watched different videos, clearly. I need to learn from you what you see here, 'cos I sure don't see it.

ancora imparo
samina
Silver

« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2011, 09:01:29 AM »

Interesting choice of song, good demonstration of it too, perfect for this thread!   Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7L-ziLQ92U
love this so much. the sensitivity of her feet...how she waits for him and responds so fluidly...how connected their nervous systems seem to be, so exquisitely passing the "baton" of their energy and action back & forth...how she completes the trajectory of her movement and is in such deep sensation of her dancing...and yet how light.

exquisite. oh yah... the falling too. Wink

Wow. We watched different videos, clearly. I need to learn from you what you see here, 'cos I sure don't see it.
what did you see, drj... can you describe it?
drj
Bronze

« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:22 PM »

I asked you first!  Tongue

ancora imparo
drj
Bronze

« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »

I asked you first!  Tongue

OK, my bad; my apologies for the smartass comment.

You said:

.how she waits for him and responds so fluidly...how connected their nervous systems seem to be, so exquisitely passing the "baton" of their energy and action back & forth...how she completes the trajectory of her movement and is in such deep sensation of her dancing...and yet how light.

I see none of that. I see her dancing like crazy and it's as if he disppears. I don't see her responding to him; I see her doing what I usually see men doing: dancing like mad and having someone there to partner her because she needs a body to be there. I don't see light; I see hard work. I don't see deep sensation of her dancing; I see her, in effect, working hard. And nothing here is exquisite, to me. Nothing. However, yes, I do see that she completes the trajectory of her movement. But passing energy back and forth? No. IMO, it's all coming from her, towards him. And it isn't engaging, to me. FWIW, no, I can't explain how I see what I see. Nor am I insensitive to the realization that I'm er, um, nobody, with no significant experience and have no concept what it's like to dance at this level. I just see what I see -- and don't see what I don't.

I don't feel the love. And in this song, in this dance in particular, I should be swept away by the love.

YMMV. Obviously. Duh.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »

How incredibly interesting.  I must admit I see it more like Sam does - but I think I understand what drj is seeing - and this certainly detracts from the overall expericne.  

OK my impression.  At first sight it does look hurried (BTW: I don't think this is their best dance demonstration) - the aspect that makes waltz look like a love dance to me is the waiting more than the falling - this dance has lots of fall - exquisitely well timed fall - but it does so at the price of wait.  Waiting is the slight delay between the man's lead and the woman's reaction - and is what gives (to me at least) that lovely give and take that symbolises love.  In this example they sacrifice waiting for one-ness.  I don't see the woman anticipating the man exactly but she responds so fast that it almost looks studied.  I don't think it is - I think you are seeing one of the best lead-follow couples ever - they are so in tune to each other the lead-follow conversation has disappeared.  The result is amazing synchrony - and yes, effortless movement.  I did not say effortless dancing because that is an illusion that this couple fails to generate.

Thus, if I were to critique it I would give the 100A+ in partnerdance movement - synchrony - but they would loose on the artistic points because I too am not swept away by the artistic object of the dance.

Does that make sense to anyone Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
samina
Silver

« Reply #110 on: June 11, 2011, 12:20:15 AM »

I agree that they are one of the best lead-follow couples. And the "dancing like mad" part I am suspecting is the speed of her response to him*, because I see her waiting...and then *going*, expressing and "selling" and feeling and enjoying the deliciousness of what she's putting into motion. She *moves* in her responsiveness, doesn't languish, ands I see her as very sensitive. And he is receding only because they are partnering so well...he is partnering her so well...and allowing her to be the more expressive one in that dance. It may not always be that way, but in that dance, yes.

As drj said so well, I'm also noone and I can't not see what I see...and mebbe I'm off...but that's what I see, which sounds like its similar to what elise was describing.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #111 on: June 11, 2011, 03:48:11 AM »

well on that we can agree - we are all noone -  but we are also, of course, equally wrong Cheesy Tongue

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2011, 03:27:24 AM »

Grin  You guys are so funny, and informative, all at the same time!
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2011, 03:11:06 AM »

I wonder it is her dress that detracts slight. it is very floaty and moves at a different time to her. I think they know it is a show and perhaps what DRJ is that the affection that is to be eluded from such a dance is not showing.

the dancing itself is well done but they have not given the whole package. I see moments of it but there  are holes in the emotional connection. I feel she is at one with the music but not at the same time as he is.

having said that I would be very happy if I could do such a performance! I love their dancing.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »

I know I'm late to the party, but this is an absolutely incredible thread that revolutionizes everything Ive thought.  Wow.

Dona nobis pacem.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »

I know I'm late to the party, but this is an absolutely incredible thread that revolutionizes everything Ive thought.  Wow.
never too late to join.  Wink

phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2013, 07:02:39 PM »

I've been pondering the concept.   Really.  the idea of taking advantage of gravity and momentum to add power to your movement.  Wow.  It s mind boggling.  If you can get right to the edge of what you're capable of and control it...  Wow. I say it again.  Wow.

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »

I think good dancers have found this out by accident, especially as they get more confident with their routines or figures.....but is is now great that people are articulating how momentum is sued in dancing and it has become more a science.

Dance Forum
phoenix13
Gold

« Reply #118 on: May 22, 2013, 10:03:34 PM »

It makes me think of head weight -- using the weight of your head to "pull" you through moves or turns, etc.  If your head (ten pounds-ish) can "move" you,then how much more can the weight of your body -- if you let it?

Dona nobis pacem.
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2013, 12:20:41 AM »

It makes me think of head weight -- using the weight of your head to "pull" you through moves or turns, etc.  If your head (ten pounds-ish) can "move" you,then how much more can the weight of your body -- if you let it?

well there are blocks of weight and the head is one of them.  so dancing with the alignments of the body feels heavy when everything is in the place they should be then you feel light.....I often say it is like cutting through soft butter when it feels right Cheesy

Dance Forum
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: