partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 11:34:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116447 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Falling
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print
Author Topic: Falling  (Read 10719 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:50 AM »

Funny, we certainly call it rise and fall in waltz (and only waltz) but I had actually never associated that with 'falling' as per body-school.  So mentally I'm already there.

some term for the motion 'fall' in waltz is necessary though isn't it to distinguish the action in that dance from the more gradual lowering in FT.  I think of the two as wave actions - FT is the gentle rolling waves in a mild breeze whereas waltz is the white-horses waves of a strong wind (but not a gale).

Er, excuse my waxing eloquent!

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »

came across a DVD the other day that mentions about the man falling into the steps, the demonstrated it very clearly, we will try to replicate it when we next try it.....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »

For the follower, the falling method is a way to ensure you keep your frame and do not come into your partner's space

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »

I can't believe I missed this thread!  I'm embarrassed!  This has been the key to it all along and I COMPLETELY missed this thread?!!!!!!!!... until you guys resurrected it! Embarrassed
QPO
reg mods
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 03:03:39 AM »

thats what we are here for,....I always go back and review threads and I then can look at them with different eyes, once I have gone further down the dance journey path! Tongue

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 11:33:38 AM »

Thank you thank you thank you!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 01:04:17 PM »

I think you should fall on your knees when you say that Grin

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:05 PM »

Grin
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 05:15:52 PM »

I'm actually at a point where dancing feels better than walking.  DSV, I know you mentioned why dancing often feels better and more effortless than walking.  I don't remember the exact reason.  Can you refresh my memory?  I can dance for three hours without getting tired, but I get tired after walking for more than 35 minutes.  I know this because 35 minutes is how long it takes for me to walk from the place that changes the oil in my car to my office, and I'm pretty tired after the walk (and the walk is 90% through a mall with smooth floors, so no mountains or hills).   

Yes, of course I will be happy to remind you of the reason why it is easier to dance, then it is to walk "normally" down the road.

When you fall during dancing you are falling longer then when walking “normally”, thereby letting your body mass be taken by gravity for a longer time. This creates a faster velocity. With the faster velocity you are taken more across the floor therefore using less effort then when walking. You also let the momentum of the up-swing fade out to such a degree that there is only very little muscle tone used.

When you walk “normally” you are also falling but they are much shorter falls. You are using pulses of muscle tone to stop the fall or shorten the fall, this action creates tension in the muscles that you don’t have while dancing. Any time you have to use brakes (muscles) to stop the momentum, then you will get fatigued in a short time.   

Dora-Satya Veda

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 05:57:41 PM »

Thank you so much DSV!!!  I remember you telling me that now.

So when we walk, we're using "impulse power", but when we dance we're using Warp Drive?!  Grin  It certainly feels that way because of the amount of speed and power I can create now.  Thanks for showing me how to engage my Warp Drive!
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2009, 07:00:14 PM »

So when we walk, we're using "impulse power", but when we dance we're using Warp Drive?!  Grin  It certainly feels that way because of the amount of speed and power I can create now.  Thanks for showing me how to engage my Warp Drive!

Yes, when you walk you are using "impulse power" and when you dance you are using "Warp Drive". That is a very good way of putting it.

You are very welcome my dear SG. It was a pleasure helping you getting your Dilithium Crystal all lined up.

I am always surprised and puzzled how many people only use "impulse power" when it is so easy to use the "Warp drive". Oh well, maybe one day when everybody will be using "Warp drive" and we will have to find a new and better way to move. Wink

I look forward to that day.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2009, 09:05:18 PM »

Perhaps you are forgetting how to walk in favor of how to dance Wink

Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 11:48:21 AM »

Perhaps you are forgetting how to walk in favor of how to dance Wink

I have questioned that many times!  I was beginning to think, "I've been walking all my life!  Why does it suddenly feel like 'work' when dancing doesn't?!".  If Usain Bolt can run really fast, but I'm curious to know what his true potential is: I want to have him dance quickstep scatter-chasses around track.  He might just beat his own record and not be out of breath at the finish line!
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 11:53:49 AM »

Well, its obvious that michael phelps is much more adapted for water than walking on land..
It may get to the point that when you are in a hurry to get somewhere you will break into a QS...

Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 02:33:25 AM »

When "fall" is done wrongly in foxtrot, it feels like the lead is dive-bombing me and steamrollering me into the floor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: