partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 05:50:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116470 Posts in 1856 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Other dance stuff (Moderators: QPO, Rugby, Lioness, ZPomeroy)
| | |-+  Malaise or losing the passion
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Malaise or losing the passion  (Read 2512 times)
dream a little dream
Silver

« on: July 16, 2009, 10:59:41 AM »

This is a question for those dancers who have been dancing for many years.

Have you ever reached a point where you didn't have the passion for dance anymore or that you felt burnt out?  It is amaziing to me how, when I was spending 7 days a week in my previous studio that I was so driven and now that I am in a new studio, spending less time in the company of dancers and dancing a lot less, that I don't seem as driven as opposed to coming up with alternative ways to practice and succeed.  Not being able to dance is part of it, I suppose, but the last time the dr. took me from dancing, I was depressed.  Now, I am currently studing for a test which I must take for work and not going to dance is rather a relief for the next 2 weeks as it takes some time to get to the studio and back, so that should be taken into account.

But, have any of you felt burnt out?  What did you do? 

Don't forget to listen to the nightengale.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:40 AM »

I don't know if you are burnt out or that your focus in your life is different at the moment. As much as dancing is  HUGE part of my life other things still must come before it. Work is one and my relations with my family.

Sometimes these priorities take precedence and you will come back to the dancing with increase vigor. We can all get a bit clouded with our judgment and especially if you do it for a living.....

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 01:42:08 AM »

I had that feeling last year...about this time actually.  Roll Eyes But this year, it's a whole new world.

Well it's what I call post-comp blues. We just did the National Championships and won our grade. That kind of changed our whole mindset. From that point, we wanted to be higher, faster. Well mainly my partner's than mine. It took away the enjoyment in dancing, it was always about how can we beat this other couple, what do we have to do to win the next comp etc etc. We forgot the pure enjoyment in simply dancing. It took less than a month for our interest & passion in dancing to burn out, and a month later the partnership split.

Now? With my wonder dance partner we've been winning almost every championship we dance in. The difference is that we continue to appreciate the enjoyment in dancing and competition is not so much our priority (not as much as the previous partnership).
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 04:41:58 AM »

Dream, don't let me forget to reply to this topic.  Haven't had time or brainpower yet, but I promise I have something to say...it will have to wait until tomorrow though.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 06:01:41 AM »

I have actually never felt that - about dance but a very similar thing happened with work - specifically with conmpetetive science (because thats what it really is).  I think some of it lasted over 10 years and its only in the last couple that my passion has come back.  The problem is sorting out whether the burn-out is temporary or permanent.  I kept doing science, albeit with less passion, because it was my job and I remained interested, if not passionate about it - I expanded my roles by taking on leadership as a contrast to lab science.  The passion has come back and I must say its in a much more mature form - less driven by wanting to achieve to get accolades and more by a much purer interest in discovery. 

I have had many passions through the years - what can I say, I'm a passionate person!!  these include chess, painting, photography, badminton, violin etc Most have paled and I don't go back to them whereas a few have stuck - including dance (least up to now Wink).  The problem of course, is figuring out which are transient passions that have run their course and which have just gone into a lull.  One way to find out is to take a break - but that also has the result of setting you back - to restart you have to relearn a lot of the stuff you knew before. 

I found the best way is to not stop but scale back and get into other interests for a while.  that will give your brain the break it obviously seeks to find out if dance is something that you truly have to have in your life or whether your energies should be elsewhere.

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
emeralddancer
Intermediate Gold

Nottingham, MD (by way of NJ)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »

I recently thought I was going through this. However, dance is to much a part of who I am as a person. And trust me I am going through a very difficult time at the moment. Actually since I have entered INTO the ballroom arena it has been very difficult.

... I keep asking myself WHY am I doing this. Why do I put myself through this? Why especially if so much can hurt (because of people) ...

Simply ... I love it.

I would sacrifice all in my life with the exception of my children to keep dancing. My husband and friends know this. My kids know this. I can not let go. I can not walk away. And thankfully they ALL accept this about me.

Dancing (whether I become the best or I am the worst - in someone elses eyes) ... I love it and would never dream of doing anything else.

Yes I am passionate about it. 

It is more important who they are as people and only then is it important who they are as dancers.~Marcia Haydee
MusicChica
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 01:32:11 AM »

This has happened to me twice that I can remember--and I can trace it back both times to being unsatisfied with the relationship with my teacher.  It's hard to feel motivated when you're annoyed or upset with your teacher and are having a hard time listening to anything they're telling you.

Both times I ended up switching teachers, which more or less cured things.  A fresh perspective can make a world of difference.
Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 01:45:48 AM »

There are other non-dance factors that are keeping me distracted, preoccupied, and even sick lately. It's affecting more than just my focus on dancing. It's threatening my parnership and even some off-floor relationships. I'm by nature an emotionally transparent person. I just don't know how to channel or properly manifest what's on my mind without causing chaos, and I really hate that. It just so happens that dancing is a partner-centric pastime, so this is doubly woeful. I just feel awful lately, and anything I think will shake it only makes it worse. I think that I accomplished all of the goals I'd set for myself in dancing early enough on, and now I'm left with nothing, but that doesn't feel like it, either- you can always set different goals, of course. Awhile back, I kind of dropped the ball though, and I just haven't picked it back up right. I'm sticking with dancing more for my partner's happiness at finally breaking through and succeeding at something he can enjoy than I am for my own interests. I don't want to mess his chances at being good at something up just because I'm being unreasonably melodramatic, sore-tailed and morose.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 02:07:11 AM »

but. to be blunt, such sacrifice is unlikely to work - how can your partner enjoy dancing if you are doing it reluctantly? The only real way to partner dance is to do it independently, both physically and mentally - you have to want to or it will show.

perhaps you can get into something dance related so that the actual dancing is a part and not a total of your dance world - that way being on the floor might be a nice ballance to doing your activity off it - helping run a studio, participating in the organization of a competition even assisting pros.  Its just an idea.  You might also want to pursue another interest iwth your partner that you really enjoy.  that way you could dance with him to make him happy while he does whatever you want in return. 

just some ideas...

Ginger
Bronze

I see what you did there.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 03:07:10 AM »

I should probably just sell shoes and jewelry- that's dance-related.

It was a much better evening, but then, we were seventy miles away from The Drama Here, and I was at the bottom of a bottle of wine and doing American Rumba with surprising oblivion before I knew it. I groped and sniffed a boy, told him he was pretty and smelled decadent, and the petted his hair... and I'm not particularly sorry, even if I was seven pounds heavier and really sweaty like a hog today.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 03:25:33 AM »

why should you be sorry?  I'm sure you made his day... Wink

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »

There are other non-dance factors that are keeping me distracted, preoccupied, and even sick lately. It's affecting more than just my focus on dancing. It's threatening my parnership and even some off-floor relationships. 

So I've been reading about some of that in your Facebook posts.  I can only say one thing, Ginger: don't let a sinking ship drag you down with it.  Doesn't have much to do with dance per se, but a situation like the one you're in will destroy all of your passions eventually. 

You really need to get away from there.
Bordertangoman
Gold Star

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 11:43:59 AM »

This is a question for those dancers who have been dancing for many years.

Have you ever reached a point where you didn't have the passion for dance anymore or that you felt burnt out?  It is amaziing to me how, when I was spending 7 days a week in my previous studio that I was so driven and now that I am in a new studio, spending less time in the company of dancers and dancing a lot less, that I don't seem as driven as opposed to coming up with alternative ways to practice and succeed.  Not being able to dance is part of it, I suppose, but the last time the dr. took me from dancing, I was depressed.  Now, I am currently studing for a test which I must take for work and not going to dance is rather a relief for the next 2 weeks as it takes some time to get to the studio and back, so that should be taken into account.

But, have any of you felt burnt out?  What did you do?  

i can be quite happy dancing alone; it can be less constraining

take a break; after a couple of months you hear stuff anew;
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:49:15 AM by Bordertangoman » Logged

”We need a witness to our lives.  There's a billion people on the planet, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything.  The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things, all of it, all of the time, every day. "
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:49:21 AM »

Yes I think taking a break is a good idea too. Through the 3 and half years I've been dancing, I took 2 long breaks. First due to that I broke up with my girlfriend, and dancing became painful. Second was due to split of a partnership, and I focused on Uni for the rest of the year. Especially during the second break, I really really craved dancing. It just felt like something is missing from my life not being able to dance.
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 08:45:40 AM »

Breaks are good to refresh...allow you to think what it is you were hoping to achieve out of your dancing...should you go back to what you were doing if you were not happy or look for a different direction.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: