partnerdanceonline.com
September 02, 2014, 10:09:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  
Author Topic: SwingWaltz' Diary  (Read 11321 times)
samina
Silver

« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2009, 01:52:47 PM »

eat better, SW. seriously. the food you've described you've been eating may be enough to drag your mood way down. honestly, there's such a correlation between our general mood and the food we eat, it's just silly.

have you ever checked out my live green smoothies? they're easy to make, a total no-brainer... no-fuss, for a bachelor like yourself. if you start making them on a daily basis, the funk you've been in may clear. worth a try?
bookworm
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2009, 12:32:20 AM »

Awww hugs!!!
When's the last time you went out social dancing?
I haven't been to star in a while and was thinking of going maybe next week. Want to go together?
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »

yes I i think you are sleep deprived....you must get a routine going...which includes all of the below.. good food and perspective....you will be happy once you have the thesis done....
Then you can concentrate on your dancing...you are a lovely dancer and you will do fine.

Dance is a delicate balance between perfection and beauty.  ~Author Unknown
Dance Forum
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #198 on: November 19, 2009, 05:47:52 AM »

wow, there's some serious mothering goin' on here...

Don't forget to brush your teeth and wash behind your ears...

There, who can resist Cheesy

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #199 on: November 19, 2009, 07:41:07 AM »

what do you expect from a bunch of women!  Grin it comes naturally and its FREE  Tongue

Dance Forum
samina
Silver

« Reply #200 on: November 19, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »

yep. Cheesy
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #201 on: January 04, 2010, 01:03:41 PM »

Long time no see my friends! Um...there're a few things on my mind at the moment, none pleasant enough to write about. So I'm going to post some of my photography stuff as I promised, hope you enjoy!

More to come!  Smiley
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #202 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »

lovely... but now I want a bowl of blueberries, milk and brown sugar... Undecided

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #203 on: January 04, 2010, 10:48:58 PM »

Nice picture SW. Really like the berry one.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »

Sat, 23/01/10 3:30am

Do I keep competing, or do I stop for a while?
A wonderful girl waits for me, but do I wait longer?
Do I dance for my coach and studio, or do I dance for myself?
Should I feel remorse, or should I move on?

I don't know anymore....I don't know.... Cry Cry Cry
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:39:31 AM by SwingWaltz » Logged
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »

Sounds like you need a trip to the mountain top...
First thing you have to figure out is how important is dancing to you?  I know its a hard question - for me particularly because my urge to dance seems to occupy a different self from the one that is rational and writing this line.  This self knows the urge is there and basically accomodates it by habit, but not by respect or understanding.  The other self puts me in my car at 6.30 am to drive an hour for an hours practise Undecided  Its pretty insistant.

Ultimately, you have to dance for yourself but I wonder if your struggle now is not really about dancing and its importance but about major life changes - careers, relationships etc.  It may make sense to put dancing to one side - the trouble is I think you know inside that if you come back to it it will never be quite the same.  I do understand this because of coming back to my violin 30+ yrs later and discovering a love that I now whistfully wish I had never ceded...

Sorry to babble - wish I was there to chat it over with you, the issues are both complex and plain and only you have the key to their answer - though I suggest you copy your post here to DSV and see if she can help you discover your own path....

QPO
Continental Champion

Adelaide South Australia

« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2010, 07:08:46 PM »

I agree, you have to do what is right for you. I know loyalty is a very good thing, but at what expense, if you want to dance and the opportunity arises well then I would do it. Life changes all the time and you will move from place to place, we are now at our third school since we started, you grow and move around and perhaps in the future you will be back where your started perhaps.

Your details are vague so I can't comment any further than that.

Dance Forum
SwingWaltz
Gold Star

« Reply #207 on: September 05, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »

Mon, 6/9/10

Hello there old friends, it's been over half a year since I last posted. Insomnia decided to pay me another visit tonight, and what better way is there to spend the night than revisiting my Dear Diary!

So to sum up my life for the past 6 month of so, one word, hectic! You've probably read from my other posts about my dance partnership, then the lack of dance partnership; about me being a dance teacher and a highschool math tutor; and inevitably me whinging about love. You put all thos ingredients together in a blender, and hit blend, that's my life!

Hence I am lying here at the moment feeling life without a destination. I have stopped competing in amature dancesport, and started doing pro-am with my long time coach. Whilst that's great and I am improving greatly as a dancer, the achievements feel quite different to having an amature partner. Now I feel like I'm being spoon fed and what I improve is what I take in from the spoon. Whereas in an amature partnership, both of us grow together by working things out together, trying to learn from eachother. Also competition is not the same, I haven't done a competition since June, and even future Pro-Am competitions are only considered as novelty events here in Australia. Having said all this, I am not looking for an amature partner either. I've been offered lots of partnerships, all which I have turn down. Not ready? Afraid to commit? Too busy? Had enough? I don't actually have a reason!

Then there's me being a dance teacher! I guess this is the one positive thing! I have been teaching since march this year at a studio an hour away from my house. I started teaching there because 1) I used to learn from the same studio. 2) I gained my teaching qualification there. Last semester I taught a teenage bronze latin class. All my students passed their exam, and to most, it is the first time they have ever danced, let along doing an examination on it. It's definitely a sense of achievement that I could not have felt from just competing myself. I love teaching my kids! I only have 2  hours of teaching there every week, so if you factor in the hour drive eachway to/from the studio, $20 petrol for the trip, I hardly earn anything. But I love it, and I'm going to continue to do so!

A month ago, I was offered another teaching position by the studio I first learned to dance 5 years ago. And during those 5 years, despite having different partners and teachers, I always went back for a dance at their parties and maintained a good relationship with everyone. I guess loyalty does pay off! I was absolutely stoked about the offer! So far I have taught 2 private lessons there and have another 2 couples booked for next week, things are going great! Oh, I also do my Pro-Am training there, so this is my home studio! I'm glad that I have been able to stick with one place for 5 years and still have people loving me like they did all those time, if not more!

Now about the tutoring! I have been a tutor since my final year of highschool. Thinking about it, that was 5 years ago! Wow I just suddenly feel old! It's true, I have a student starting her senior and she said the year I finished highschool, she was finishing primary school. But I always feel like I'm back in highschool again when I teach them! I have never stopped tutoring, only some times I had more students, other times I had less. Now I have 6 students ranging from junior high to doing their final exam for their senior year. Again, I am glad that I have not forgotten any of the things I learned from junior high to senior. Things I did 10 years ago, or 5 years ago! More on this next time...

And also next time, my latest episode with the word L.O.V.E.....

Till then, Take care my friends!

samina
Silver

« Reply #208 on: September 16, 2010, 07:00:06 AM »

Very exciting about the teaching, SW! Wishing you good things come of it!

Did you know that in the US, pro-am dancers aren't allowed to teach? You are very fortunate IMO that you can combine the two.

As for why you haven't accepted a new amateur partner...perhaps your intuition knows you are learning on a deep level at the moment, even if you judge this as "being spoon fed". There may be nuances of learning occurring you are not even aware of yet.

Best wishes!
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #209 on: September 16, 2010, 02:21:45 PM »

It's seems obvious that you really enjoy teaching and it's quite amazing that you can teach all those things I learned in junior and high school and never looked back on.  I think what really excites you is learning, or rather, the adventure of learning.  So having things spoonfed to you leaves you wanting a certain je ne sais what.  Grin

Maybe what you need is a slightly different perspective on your dance life.  Perspective can make all the difference in the world.  Remember, Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work".  It's all in the perspective.  

I wonder if the reason you see your pro-am partnership as less fulfilling as an amateur partnership is because you feel like your pro lady partner is helping you do things that you should be doing as a man.  Like the others said here, pro-am is a really quick way to learn. Think of it as a stint in University.  Think of it as learning the skills necessary to become someone who can dance with anybody and make the partnership look good.  You can think of this as becoming someone who can dance with anyone and remain unaffected by what the other person is doing.  Basically, you can use your pro-am partnership to accomplish a goal.  Going into it without a goal can feel like you're going nowhere (just like anything else).  You don't have to see this as something you're going to do forever either as that will depress you.  Think of it as a fixed amount of time (but don't set a time limit) where you're going to gain some invaluable insights into dancing while on the fast track.  That way you will cherish every moment you have with your pro.  You'll know when you have achieved your goals that it's time to end your pro-am partnership or set new goals and continue the partnership.  After you've achieved your goals, you can get a much higher level amateur (or even pro-level) partner when you feel you're not learning anything more on your pro-am track. The fact that you're teaching is adding additional depth of knowledge that you don't get from the spoon feeding.  So it looks like you have the best of both worlds: you're on the fast track with your "partner" AND you're gaining the insights one would gain from teaching.  

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:28:08 PM by Some guy » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
  Print  

Jump to: