partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:02:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116385 Posts in 1855 Topics by 221 Members
Latest Member: EVE_Dance
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Pivots
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: Pivots  (Read 7643 times)
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2009, 09:32:26 PM »

perhaps you are tipping backwards and want to pull the foot back to stop you going all the way.  I'm not sure if this is essential, but I step back onto the toe, not a flat foot.  that allows me to ballance on the foot when I step back.  Will that help?

I'll check that the next time I try it.  It's a flinch.  I don't really know why I was doing it.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2009, 05:22:31 AM »

Would need some more info, but this might not totally be a bad thing. What you are describing sounds very much like a heel pull which can be fine (even if not "by the book") if you replace the right foot forward in time to not inhibit the continuing momentum.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2009, 09:40:22 PM »

can one exit spin pivots with an impetus?

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 09:59:40 PM »

can one exit spin pivots with an impetus?

The momentum of the Spin-Pivots would make it a little difficult to do a Closed Impetus. You should however be able to do an Open Impetus fairly easily. Just let the last Spin-Pivot fade out in momentum before you exit.

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2009, 03:58:53 AM »

Thanks - we have a natural into spin pivots finishing with an open impetus but pro did not like it (maybe its how we were doing it!).  I do however, and so does DP - besides, I really want to keep doing spin pivots as I love them and think they are one of the most beautiful figures in ballroom...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2009, 01:48:39 AM »

Thanks for the clarification DSV.  I've learned enough to know that the technique for reverse and natural (spin) pivots is very different.  So maybe we can go there soon.

I sad and watched many lessons that my main teacher taught. It was not often that he was teaching a lower level couple, but when he did he really showed me how high level insights can be taught to any level of dancing. This is also true with Spin-Pivots. I was just reminded of this today. It was actually EM that reminded me, so you can thank her for digging that out of my memory.

He would get the couple to do 1 - 3 of Natural Turn and then a Spin Turn as it is danced in its basic form. He would have the couple dance it again and this time stop before the rise was fully finished (the finishing of the rise causes the lady to brush her feet). He would then ask the lady to do a Natural Pivot and then repeat the Spin Turn and the Pivot again and again (why it is called Spin-Pivots). He would often compare them to Overturned Spin Turn but with no shaping or swaying. I will explain a little more in the Body School topic.

Dora-Satya Veda

The light just came on!  Pro just taught us the 'spin pivots' natural turn into a spin turn, pivots exit with an open or closed impetus (we prefer latter).  AND instead of the exit you can do continue with the spin turn, pivots alternation indefinitely. 

One thing I picked up was that its very important for the woman to stay high and step onto the sole of the foot for the first pivot after the spin turn ....

Does this sound right now?

[which means, as DSV and TD were patiently trying explain, that my original question was simply wrong - it comes from falling for the illusion of continuous pivots in waltz].

TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2009, 04:16:36 AM »

One thing I picked up was that its very important for the woman to stay high and step onto the sole of the foot for the first pivot after the spin turn ....Does this sound right now?

[which means, as DSV and TD were patiently trying explain, that my original question was simply wrong - it comes from falling for the illusion of continuous pivots in waltz].

Yes, and to make certain of the "pivot-action"... allowing the back foot to 'slip' just slightly outward of the line. Good job.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
drj
Bronze

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2009, 07:05:05 PM »

"the illusion of continuous pivots in waltz"

I am new at this, so please bear with my uneducated question. Why is there an illusion of continuous pivots in waltz? Are there not actually continuous pivots in waltz?

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

sounds like you're coming through the same door I entered through Cheesy
I strongly suggest that you read this topic from the beginning! 

drj
Bronze

« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

sounds like you're coming through the same door I entered through Cheesy
I strongly suggest that you read this topic from the beginning! 

Which I have just done, and apologize for not having done before posting my previous question. Now withdrawn. After reading, the phrase makes perfect sense, and matches my (admittedly limited) experience with my pro.

ancora imparo
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2009, 07:37:49 PM »

which goes to show that after only 6 months or so PDO has already become a resource - in many ways its even become unique...

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2009, 02:33:32 AM »

on with the quest Smiley
Here in Pino and Bucciarelli's walt at 1 min 25 sec they do a pivoting sequence - is this repeated 456 of a natural spin turn followed by spin pivots and then repeats of the spin turn?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjcgeutDe8&feature=related

Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2009, 09:05:13 PM »

on with the quest Smiley
Here in Pino and Bucciarelli's walt at 1 min 25 sec they do a pivoting sequence - is this repeated 456 of a natural spin turn followed by spin pivots and then repeats of the spin turn?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXjcgeutDe8&feature=related

The long side ends with a 1-3 of Natural Turn and then they start the short side with Spin-Pivots and continue Spin-Pivot all along the short side. They then finish the Spin-Pivot by turning into a Right Hinge and then to a Standing Spin and........

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »

thanks.  Still have a bit of a hard time breaking it down - but I'm getting better Smiley

elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »

and isn't that just one of the best waltzes ever?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: