partnerdanceonline.com
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 06:54:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
A lot of people are visiting Smiley Smiley
Undecided Undecided but not many are posting....
please say hi Cheesy
116487 Posts in 1856 Topics by 223 Members
Latest Member: dancewithmetoronto
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  partnerdanceonline.com
|-+  Partner Dancing
| |-+  Partner Dances
| | |-+  Ballroom dance -advanced (Moderators: Rugby, cornutt, ZPomeroy)
| | | |-+  Pivots
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: Pivots  (Read 8794 times)
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:47 PM »

nice tip...

If you must leave the house, go build a home...

The limit of your love is also the limit of your art...
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »

I was always told the sensation to be…..move forward, turn, move forward, turn, move forward......and I must say that is the sensation I always had and have when dancing Spin-Pivots.

I would however be careful talking about feelings as they are different for every person. I normally never tell students what I feel when teaching because I think it is important they develop their own feelings. I always teach dancing as factual as is humanly possible.

I get what you're saying, though, and it matches with my own recent understanding.  My problem in the past with pivots has been trying to do them as one continuous turning motion, and I was always frustrated because momentum never seemed to carry me all the way through it.  I now realize it isn't supposed to.
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2009, 06:26:26 PM »

I get what you're saying, though, and it matches with my own recent understanding.  My problem in the past with pivots has been trying to do them as one continuous turning motion, and I was always frustrated because momentum never seemed to carry me all the way through it.  I now realize it isn't supposed to.

It is the person moving backward that causes the turn to happen as that person is changing direction to go forward next.

Again being a little careful with feelings but there might even be a feeling of pulsing from the turning person. Do however notice that I am saying there “might” be a feeling of pulsing. You can do Spin-Pivots very well and not feel this at all. So listen to when the teachers says that is right and note what you feel at that moment. Be aware that your feelings will change as your dancing improves. Also remember that what you see, what you feel and what you do will hardly ever match each other.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:28 AM »

I'm wrestling with reverse pivot after natural turn, as a part of spin turn.  Slip pivot?  Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

"There are short-cuts to happiness, and dancing is one of them."
~Vicki Baum
Dora-Satya Veda
Gold Star

« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2009, 11:25:18 AM »

I'm wrestling with reverse pivot after natural turn, as a part of spin turn.  Slip pivot?  Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

Can you be more specific what the problem is? There can be any number of problems.

Let’s just clarify what a Slip Pivot is.

In a Slip Pivot you “slip” the lady back into closed position and then you do a Reverse Pivot (giving the name to the step “Slip Pivot”). So if you are already in closed position then you do not need to ‘slip” the lady back to closed position. If you are doing a Natural Spin Turn followed by a Reverse Pivot then you are already in closed position and therefore not doing a Slip Pivot. You are doing Reverse Pivot.

Sorry for the correction. It can sometimes be confusing when the terminologies used worldwide get changed as it can cause misunderstandings.

DSV

"As we understand more things, everthing is becoming simpler"

Edward Teller
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »

Generally the only place where I use a slip pivot is for the step you use in waltz/foxtrot to reverse direction when another couple blocks LOD.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »

thank you for the clarification.  I'm doing a natural spin turn with a reverse pivot, then.  Not a slip pivot.  Any suggestions on lead, alignment or technique which might help me would be appreciated.

~Vicki Baum
Some guy
Intermediate Silver

« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2009, 02:17:11 PM »

Not much info to go on.  However, just as a tip in general, don't try to lead the lady.  Use your body (not your feet) to create the steps and the rest should go without a hitch. 
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2009, 04:51:45 AM »

It is the person moving backward that causes the turn to happen as that person is changing direction to go forward next.

Agreed. As an add, it might help to know that the dance definition of a pivot is quite literally, "a backward rotationdanced on the spot..."  This opening of the door, so to speak, allows the forward moving partner to "pass through" to dance the pivot 'action' (which is another discussion, altogether).  Smiley

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
TangoDancer
Open Bronze

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2009, 04:59:42 AM »

thank you for the clarification.  I'm doing a natural spin turn with a reverse pivot, then.  Not a slip pivot.  Any suggestions on lead, alignment or technique which might help me would be appreciated.

2 things come to mind.....  1. a very common error is trying to stop the rotation to prepare too early for the rev pivot. This results in losing connection w/ the partner, and feeling the need of pulling her through the pivot. Step R foot on a good inside edge at step 3 of the spin turn, stopping bottom rotation, yet allowing the top to 'follow' the lady's momentum. Which leads to 2.... save a little rise for the latter part of the movement so that you allow the lady to recover from the stopped spin. Her timing will tell you when to execute the rev pivot.

Hope this helps a little.

The most beautiful part of the dance is often found in between the steps... and in the movement within the stillness.
cdnsalsanut
Bronze

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2009, 08:43:09 AM »

tx

~Vicki Baum
cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2009, 02:27:10 PM »

Worked on multiple pivots last night, and I had an odd problem: after the first rotation, when I was the partner facing backwards, I was reflexively pulling my right foot away from my partner.  I'm not at all sure why I was doing this; maybe subconsciously I was fearing stepping on my partner.  I had to work on it for a while to suppress that.  It was really weird -- like my right leg had a mind of its own.  And it only happened after the first rotation. 
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2009, 02:54:01 PM »

.....when I was the partner facing backwards......

well, there's your problem, heads on backward...

Do you mean you were the rotating and not moving partner perhaps?  Also, I don't know how your R foot got anywhere near your partner.  Your legs should be meeting at the thigh.  Fun step Wink

cornutt
Administrator
Silver

« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »

Do you mean you were the rotating and not moving partner perhaps?  Also, I don't know how your R foot got anywhere near your partner.  Your legs should be meeting at the thigh.  Fun step Wink

Yes, when I'm the rotating partner.  What I meant is that my right foot is the forward foot in the scissors shape, and for some reason I keep wanting to pull it backward at that moment.
elisedance
Administrator
Blackpool Finalist

ee

« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2009, 04:11:03 PM »

Yes, when I'm the rotating partner.  What I meant is that my right foot is the forward foot in the scissors shape, and for some reason I keep wanting to pull it backward at that moment.

perhaps you are tipping backwards and want to pull the foot back to stop you going all the way.  I'm not sure if this is essential, but I step back onto the toe, not a flat foot.  that allows me to ballance on the foot when I step back.  Will that help?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: